Big Sale at Mosaic--3/17/10 through 3/31/10

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thought on the Duke Ellington Small Groups set?

You NEED this as much as we NEED your Upcoming Jazz Releases lists back :excited:

Ditto! As for the Ellington Small Groups, I think many consider this to be one of Mosaic's most important and essential sets. I know I do.

gregmo

Gee, I'm ruining myself again... ordered for 299$ (decided to throw in the Chu Berry as well to the planned order of Stitt, Chambers Select, and the singles by J.J. and Slide Hampton).

Also trying to talk my parents into buying me the Ellington for my b-day... :rolleyes:

That's the reason I caved and got the Joe Pass... I think that's next to go OOP...

So, what do you think will go OOP before the next sale? I really don't have a place to store (or even receive) anything right now, but may impose on a friend to hold one for me until I can. Joe Pass is tempting.

No... just a guess based on the fact that it's been around longer than almost any other set...2001.. Might be the Mobley or the Django... I would bet that it will be one of those three.... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

That's the reason I caved and got the Joe Pass... I think that's next to go OOP...

Based on what? You got any info?

No... just a guess based on the fact that it's been around longer than almost any other set...2001.. Might be the Mobley or the Django... I would bet that it will be one of those three.... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Based on what? You got any info?

My guess would be the Mobley, it's been around for 12 years now. Must be a real slow seller with an infinite lease term. Kind of shows how underrated Mobley is outside this board... It's a shame.

I got the Mobley on a pre-order. Poor thing's been in storage since. It was pre-MP3 days for me, so I don't even have it on my Zune(s).

Of the box set specials, I guess I have all the ones that interest me OTHER than the Pass. And I s'pose the Selects and singles aren't immediately in danger (and the $ savings are lower).

Also trying to talk my parents into buying me the Ellington for my b-day... :rolleyes:

... which seems to have worked! :excited: :excited: :excited:

will take me two years I guess to digest all that's coming... crazy, but I'm always happy to know I have this or that and don't need to worry when it runs out and I'm short of dinero... (which is what I'll be after this ordering excess...)

As for the Mobley - it's one of the finest among the Blue Note Mosaics, for sure!

I really don't get why it hasn't sold out years ago. I've had it for many years, and the music sure is fine as hell! And definitely as good as his more famous 60s albums, including my own favourite "Soul Station"!

... which seems to have worked! :excited: :excited: :excited:

will take me two years I guess to digest all that's coming... crazy, but I'm always happy to know I have this or that and don't need to worry when it runs out and I'm short of dinero... (which is what I'll be after this ordering excess...)

I admire your zest! I've got entire, new and sealed box sets here, some by artists I don't even care for, some bought even recently and set aside ("But it was such a good price!") but in the main I've cured myself of this simply because eventually the dead weight of the backlog reminds me I can't assimilate it all and I should slow down. So now I dream of the beauty of being up-to-date, where every new purchase is consumed quickly and greedily...

I still haven't finished listening to all the music on Spotify yet... that could take some time...

As insane as it may sound, I've still got a couple of new and unplayed LPs from before CD took off... just a couple...

I should slow down, yes indeed... but then I still feel like exploring so much new stuff!

This of course results in huge piles of discs I've played once or twice, but there's always the possible rationalization that this helps to keep the music fresh and unexpected (you know, after all jazz is about improvisation and surprise...) :lol:

Finally got round to ordering. I've made it this years main Mosaic order and gone for the Hampton, Chu Berry and Ellington Small Groups sets. Plus the 'Ellington 58' single to hit the shipping limit. ^_^ Looks like I'm in for a PhD course in swing music.

I'm kind of tapped out, but may take a stab at the Q Jones on March 31. Somebody please wake me up on that day!

Wakey wakey !!

Edited by sidewinder

I think it's high time we admitted that we're all addicted, in the very worst sense of the word, to buying music. Acquiring is primary. Listening is secondary.

Isn't that the truth? It seems like it's much more exciting for me to explore for new music, find a good deal on the ones I want and then eagerly anticipate receiving them in the mail. Thankfully, I've been hitting the wall on new music. I've been finding it difficult to find new things I like enough to bother spending money on them. Of the last 3 bargain buys I've made, I liked one a lot, was so-so on on the second and the third I didn't really like at all. Maybe I'm finally to the point where I can stop buying and start rediscovering things I already own.

I think it's high time we admitted that we're all addicted, in the very worst sense of the word, to buying music. Acquiring is primary. Listening is secondary.

Isn't that the truth? It seems like it's much more exciting for me to explore for new music, find a good deal on the ones I want and then eagerly anticipate receiving them in the mail. Thankfully, I've been hitting the wall on new music. I've been finding it difficult to find new things I like enough to bother spending money on them. Of the last 3 bargain buys I've made, I liked one a lot, was so-so on on the second and the third I didn't really like at all. Maybe I'm finally to the point where I can stop buying and start rediscovering things I already own.

Ready to sell those three $24 Bill Evans box sets already? ;)

Nicely put.

I heard a track on the cable tv jazz station about a week ago.....decided to track down a copy of the cd ....then discovered that a sealed one's been sitting here for about 3+ yrs. How does that Almond Joy/Mounds song go again? 'Sometime's you feel like a...' :blush:

DonutHead.jpg