Big Sale at Mosaic--3/17/10 through 3/31/10

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone else seeing this link as pure html code?

I've had some funny looking page loads lately but this is ridiculous.

The link doesn't work on my PC, I get the "page not available" error message.

Maybe this link will work.

(edit) Hm, the original link does now work on my PC. Strange things are happening in cyberspace... :crazy:

Edited by J.A.W.

Is anyone else seeing this link as pure html code?

I've had some funny looking page loads lately but this is ridiculous.

The link doesn't work on my PC, I get the "page not available" error message.

Maybe this link will work.

I edited my original post with a newly copy/pasted link--it seems to work now. Maybe they modified the address after I initially posted it (it was working for me when I first posted it, but then no longer worked huh.gif ).

For those who haven't received it in email yet/aren't on the mailing list, here is the garbled html link converted to readable bbcode for the board:

March 17th, 2010

mosaic_fotter.jpg

Mosaic Records Special Sale

Selected Box Sets, Selects & Singles

March 17th - 31st

Each of our sets is a time-consuming affair to assemble from securing rights to tape research to studio mastering to the photographic, historical and discographical research for our booklets.

The current long delay in producing a new release since our Bing Crosby set in November is not caused by an absence of projects, but rather by the fact that record company clearances are taking longer as their staffs experience one round of cutbacks after another. We have a number of projects about which we are personally excited and expect to produce this year.

In the absence of a catalog mailing and to keep the boat afloat, we are announcing an Ides Of March sale with selected releases on sale through the end of March. We hope you take advantage of these Special Sale prices on these historical Limited Edition releases.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Limited Editon Box Sets

The Complete Lionel Hampton Victor Sessions 1937-41 (#238)

We regard this set as among our very significant releases, because of the moment in music it captures; because of the quality of the music and the sidemen; because of the comprehensive nature of the collection; and the meticulous sound restoration. 5 CDs (Sale Priced at $72)

The Quincy Jones ABC/Mercury Big Band Jazz Sessions (#237)

It didn’t make sense economically, didn’t make sense logistically, didn’t provide ego satisfaction for star players, but Quincy Jones formed a big band for the sheer sake of the music. 5 CDs (Sale Priced at $72)

Classic Chu Berry Columbia and Victor Sessions (#236)

A Master Class in Swing. This is a comprehensive collection with countless pivotal sessions. If he hadn't died young, Chu Berry might have become the most influential tenor saxophonist of the 20th Century. 7 CDs - (Sale Priced at $107)

Duke Ellington: 1936-40 Small Group Sessions (#235)

This set gathers together all the small group sessions led by Duke Ellington and his sidemen Rex Stewart, Barney Bigard, Cootie Williams and Johnny Hodges, during the years 1936-40. 7 CDs - (Sale Priced at $107)

Complete Count Basie Verve Fifties Studio Recordings (#229)

When Count Basie reformed his big band in the 1950s, he managed to become entirely new by sticking with what had made him great from the start. And in the process, Basie achieved some of the most extraordinary success of his career. 8 CDs (Sale Priced at $119)

The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions (#208)

The prime focus of this set is the ten remarkable quartet albums that the saxophonist made for Roost between 1955 and '65, usually with Hank Jones or Jimmy Jones on piano and Shadow Wilson, Charlie Persip or Roy Haynes on drums. 9 CDs (Sale Priced at $129)

The Complete Pacific Jazz Joe Pass Quartet Sessions (#207)

Always clean, articulate, and effective, Pass had unstoppable swing and an ability to create memorable, beautifully-constructed solos. The Mosaic collection lays out the full range of what this musician could do. 5 CDs (Sale Priced at $72)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mosaic Selects

Five Mosaic Select 3 CD Sets (Regularly $44; On Sale for $39 each)

Mosaic Select: McCoy Tyner (MS-025)

Influenced by the beauty and intensity of Coltrane’s music and Eastern forms of music, McCoy Tyner fashioned a dense, lyrical sound. This set covers the last two years of McCoy Tyner's tenure with Blue Note.

Mosaic Select: Gerry Mulligan (MS-021)

In December 1957, Pacific Jazz's Dick Bock came to New York for several weeks of a marathon recording schedule that included dates by Bob Brookmeyer and Chet Baker as well as four Gerry Mulligan sessions.

Mosaic Select: Andrew Hill (MS-016)

Only six of the 31 selections on this set have ever been out in any form. Their common denominator is Andrew's brilliant improvisations and unique compositions.

Mosaic Select: Dave Liebman & Richie Beirach (MS-012)

Coming of age in the late ‘60s, saxophonist David Liebman and pianist Richie Beirach are virtuosos on their instruments. It has enabled them to take the lessons that they learned well from Miles and Trane and create exciting, often tumultuous jazz of the highest creative order.

Mosaic Select: Paul Chambers (MS-005)

Paul Chambers was more than the greatest bassist of his generation; he was the premier team player with a pliant, robust sense of swing that took any group he played to another level.

Mosaic Singles

All 20 Mosaic Singles Sale Priced at only $12 Each

For A Complete List Visit Mosaic Single CD Releases

mosaic_fotter.jpg

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

All of us at

www.mosaicrecords.com

www.thebestvinylshop.com

www.truebluemusic.com

Email: info@mosaicrecords.com

203-327-7111

I cannot believe they had to put the Joe Pass on sale.

I can understand the other ones, especially the Stitt. :P

Hey what are you talking about!! :) The Stitt is a great set. Seriously.

The Pass is very nice, too.

I'm kind of tapped out, but may take a stab at the Q Jones on March 31. Somebody please wake me up on that day! Of course, by then I will have visited the sale page a hundred times and convinced myself that I need 3 or 4 other sets, as well!

Edited by John Tapscott

For those who haven't received it in email yet/aren't on the mailing list, here is the garbled html link converted to readable bbcode for the board:

Thanks for doing that. thumbs_up.gif I had no idea that I could copy/paste a page of HTML directly into a reply, and it would automatically be converted. That's the SECOND thing I've learned from this thread (also learned how to edit my own thread title, thanks to Hans). rolleyes.gif

Now, if I can just learn how to resist this sale. whistling.gif

Think I'm going to go for the Paul Chambers finally (I've recently been really diggin' late 50's Coltrane (the first two Prestige boxes especially), far more than I'd expected to).

And probably a 'safety' copy of the Hill BN Select.

And maybe the Onzy Matthews Select (which isn't on sale, but what the heck).

I've been eyeing the McCoy Tyner Select for some time, but I've already got all but 45 minutes of the material on CD - so that'd be about $1 a minute to pick up the rest of what I don't have. Really hard to justify (cost-wise), even at that sale price. But it is mildly tempting.

I cannot believe they had to put the Joe Pass on sale.

I can understand the other ones, especially the Stitt. :P

Hey what are you talking about!! :) The Stitt is a great set. Seriously.

Indeed! I bought it in Sept. 2006 during a "this and that" sale similar to this one. It hadn't been on radar as at the time as I had other priorities, and it is a lot of Stitt and expensive at full price. However, the lone Stitt (leader) that I owned (New York Jazz) I loved, and I noticed that I had a dozen Mobleys, more Pepper, etc. and using the logic of this board it seemed like a good way to have more Stitt representation. :) It is one hell of set and it's easy to dive in anywhere. It gets played more than some of the other Mosaics (or music regardless of label/packaging) that I was more excited about getting. Recommended.

Yawn! This kind of sale is nice if you already had plans to buy the set(s) on sale and were committed to laying out the full price. Do the savings even add up enough cover what the shipping would be? Wake me up when there's some real temptation offered.

Why the negativity? Just skip the thread if you're not interested... :tdown

I'm just saying that the sale is nice if you were already planning on spending the funds because you'll be paying a little less than expected. If you're in the mind-set that one or more of the sets look interesting, but not at the regular price Mosaic is asking, then a 9% savings overall is not something to get very excited about or incentive enough to pull the trigger. (For me at least.)

Edited by mikelz777

The Hampton is a GREAT Set....!

I want that Hampton set.

I am also tapped out and way behind in my listening.

GREAT that Mosaic are offering this sale and the Hamp set is on my list (as is Chu Berry).

I will probably go for a McCoy Select as well.

Plus the £ has gone up marginally too today, every little helps :D

Edited by sidewinder