Big Sale at Mosaic--3/17/10 through 3/31/10

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW - if you see the page as text file with the html code, proceed as follows:

- go the Mosaic homepage, you will se a link to the March sale on the top right.

- right click on this link, choose "save linked content" or whatever your browser says

- save to any folder

- open that folder, rename the file from ---.txt to ---.html

- click to open - it should open in your browser

Mosaic made a mistake by saving this as a txt file instead a html file, that's all.

Yawn! This kind of sale is nice if you already had plans to buy the set(s) on sale and were committed to laying out the full price. Do the savings even add up enough cover what the shipping would be? Wake me up when there's some real temptation offered.

Why the negativity? Just skip the thread if you're not interested... :tdown

It's okay, Hans. I appreciate reading what people think and don't need sugarcoated posts. I appreciate the thoughts, Mike, and Hans.

And maybe the Onzy Matthews Select (which isn't on sale, but what the heck).

Big thumbs up on this set, Rooster. Onzy's music doesn't get the press that it deserves. I like this set. Shall I repeat? :P

I don't really think it's much of a sale... You're essentially getting free shipping..

You're right, it's NOT a fire sale, and thank god it isn't (cuz that would only happen if they were going out of business). It's about as much of a sale as they can EVER afford to offer.

I've been buying Mosaics "on sale" nearly every time they have one, and rarely is the discount any more than about 10% (at most). Their margins are already quite low to begin with. Hell, part of me thinks they should be a non-profit, and solicit donations -- in addition to selling their wares for 'revenue' (not for 'profit'), I guess probably like The Smithsonian's Folkways does (are there any other non-profit models for music distribution??).

If I thought it would influence what they released, I'd give 'em a couple hundred dollars for sure (especially if I could write if off on my taxes). And if they said they'd release Tyrone Washington's unreleased BN leader-date, and also that one lead by Jackie McLean that Tyrone was a sideman on (plus Woody Shaw was on that date too, I think), I'd probably give 'em $500!!

Anyway, I digress. They need every dollar we can spend these days. I appreciate saving a little (even if it's just the cost of shipping), and in return I'm gonna probably buy about four selects from them this time around (even one that isn't on sale). I can't write it off on my taxes, but I’m gonna think of it as doing my part to support Mosaic (and that's my story too my wife too!!).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Big thumbs up on this set, Rooster. Onzy's music doesn't get the press that it deserves. I like this set. Shall I repeat? :P

Have been listening to it myself over the last week and I agree - it's a nice set. Nothing profound but thoroughly enjoyable listen. Added plus of Horace Tapscott on trombone too !

OK - the serious reply is

Melodiya Records of Russia - don't know about now, but under the Soviet regime it was an organ of State.

Syliphone Records of Guinea - also an organ of state. Almost certainly influenced by Soviet experience (though not Communist).

Basically, unless it's an organ of state (and Smithsonian-Folkways is for all practical purposes) a record company can't be a non-profit because it's a firm that relies on other firms to supply its needs (studios, bands, printers, designers, record manufacturers etc) and these firms wouldn't supply unless they were getting paid. So profits are essential.

MG

Basically, unless it's an organ of state (and Smithsonian-Folkways is for all practical purposes) a record company can't be a non-profit because it's a firm that relies on other firms to supply its needs (studios, bands, printers, designers, record manufacturers etc) and these firms wouldn't supply unless they were getting paid. So profits are essential.

Not to get too technical, MG, smile.gif but you're confusing profit with revenue. Lots of nonprofits (e.g., arts organizations like theatres, museums, and symphony orchestras, and educational institutions like universities) don't, by definition, make any "profit" per se (i.e., no income for any owners or investors), but they bring in enough revenue to pay others (officers/employees, guest and resident artists, vendors such as you described, etc.) quite handsomely. Of course, as nonprofits, they also benefit from being able to accept tax-deductible donations (at least in the US).

Not to get too technical, MG, smile.gif but you're confusing profit with revenue. Lots of nonprofits (e.g., arts organizations like theatres, museums, and symphony orchestras, and educational institutions like universities) don't, by definition, make any "profit" per se (i.e., no income for any owners or investors), but they bring in enough revenue to pay others (officers/employees, guest and resident artists, vendors such as you described, etc.) quite handsomely. Of course, as nonprofits, they also benefit from being able to accept tax-deductible donations (at least in the US).

True - those types of companies don't have huge R&D bills, however. Also they're all government-supported, which puts them rather into the same category as Melodiya and Syliphone.

Big R&D bills (in this industry, lots of failures) require investment capital and that can only be generated by profits or subsidies.

MG

True - those types of companies don't have huge R&D bills, however. Also they're all government-supported, which puts them rather into the same category as Melodiya and Syliphone.

Big R&D bills (in this industry, lots of failures) require investment capital and that can only be generated by profits or subsidies.

MG

They're not government-supported in the way I think you're meaning, at least here in the US. They may get SOME government funding in the form of grants, but those tend to account for a very small portion of these organizations' revenues. And in terms of R&D bills (I assume you mean research and development?), I'm not quite sure what you mean in the context of a record company--maybe marketing costs (not really R&D)? In any event, there are many nationally and internationally known nonprofits that spend quite large amounts on marketing and bring in substantial revenues, without the need for investors who demand payment of profits.

Edited by Ron S

Not much love for the Q on this board, I'm afraid, but I like it a lot (and so does brownie, to my best of knowledge)!

Mais oui! Much love for the set.

And for Quincy's band. Spent my last days in civilian life back in early 1960 attending the band's daily rehearsals at the Paris Alhambra theater.

Listening to the band and meeting all those musicians enabled me to keep my mind away from more than depressing thoughts at the idea of being drafted in the French Army to fight its war (not mine) against Algerian rebels!

The Mosaic box is a splendid tribute to the band.

Listened to cds 2 & 3 yesterday. Nice material.....the strings didn't -- as I had expected -- induce a seizure. Not totally pleased with the physical product though....specifically cd 2 which has all sorts of small cuts and pits on the surface as though it were dropped on the floor. Do you folks tend to call Mosaic for a replacement for something like this... or just live with it? :unsure:

from my experience they'll easily replace it....

Listened to cds 2 & 3 yesterday. Nice material.....the strings didn't -- as I had expected -- induce a seizure. Not totally pleased with the physical product though....specifically cd 2 which has all sorts of small cuts and pits on the surface as though it were dropped on the floor. Do you folks tend to call Mosaic for a replacement for something like this... or just live with it? :unsure: