Jackie Mclean - High Frequency

mixedupfiles

Does anyone know if this Jackie Mclean session was ever released on CD outside of the Mosaic set?

High Frequency

Combined Effort

Moonscape

Jossa Bossa

The Bull Frog

I've never heard any of these tunes, but I'd love to. Since I already own everything else that's on the mosaic set, though, it would sure be a shame to spend a couple hundred dollars for 5 songs.

Googling didn't produce any results but I'd like to know if anyone knows of some long out of print release or perhaps one that was only available outside of the US.

That 1966 session never got a proper treatment from Blue Note. Probably because McLean went over bop paths and ventured into freer territory.

The cover of the twofer 'Jacknife' which marked its belated initial appearance in 1975 indicated it was a quintet session. The liner notes (by Ira Gitler) corrected this.

It reappeared only on the Mosaic McLean box.

There definitely should be a further reissue of this album! It's time!

I don't think this date will be reissued on CD any time soon, considering the declining CD sales and the state of EMI.

Agreed. If it's not out now, it will likely never be released. That's such a shame, too. Not that I care about the CD media itself, but I do have a preference for lossless 16/44 (or better - I guess) digital. I don't care for lossy compression at any bitrate, or even vinyl for that matter. I don't want to start a great debate on the subject, though. If this session is ever released in any digital form, I'd likely buy it.

On the other hand, I think I saw the mosaic set sell for under $60 on ebay recently, but I think that was just a very lucky fluke for someone.

Definintely bad news to think a single issue of this set will never appear, and since I have everything BN has reissued on single disc, I don't even want to drop $60 on the Mosaic, just for that session. Man, what a real dragsad.gif Oh wait a minute, I don't have Hipnosis either, so maybe it'd be worth it. smile.gif

Edited by Holy Ghost

yep, me too. I'd always loved the Jacknife half of that twofer and bought the CD reissue so the High Frequency half has been ignored. Today it's like finding a new album - sometimes ther is an advantage to having too much to listen to! I saw a copy of the twofer only the other week for £15 or so in London, so if you still do vinyl it's out there for you somewhere

I saw a copy of the twofer only the other week for £15 or so in London, so if you still do vinyl it's out there for you somewhere

I'm very fond of those twofers - every one of them 'honourary Mosaics' IMO. Even though I have the music on the McLean Mosaic vinyl, I wouldn't like to part with the twofer. Not least because of some excellent sleeve notes (similarly the Hill, Rivers, Paul Chambers, Gil Evans, Wes etc.)

It's quite strange that they never issued this one on CD, similar to the Hill "Big" Mosaic set, where everything but the last quartet date with Rivers has been issued on CD.

In other news, the sun is scheduled to set in the west later today, and Sarah Palin said something stupid.

More in a minute.

You must've gotten beaten up an awful lot in high school!

I reckon he'd get beaten up a lot more now, if he ever left the house that is.

• 1 year later...