Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis & Shirley Scott - the Complete Cookb

Put all the "cookin'" tracks (+ "The Rev") from the OJCs and you got a killer disc!

I love that stuff but really wished they'd a put more cayenne in Richardson's flute.

:D Fantasy made a single disc almost like that in the "plays the blues" series.

Edited by John L

OK - the OJCs are fine. You should be aware that this box includes the following Jaws/Shirley Prestige LPs

Cookbook vol 1 (an alternative take of "But beautiful", of which I wasn't previously aware, and not listed in the 1978 Prestige discography, is included)

Cookbook vol 2

Cookbook vol 3

Smokin'

Jaws

and

At ease (MV) - but one track from this LP, "Man with horn", has been omitted.

Pricewise, this looks to be a better deal than buying the OJCs separately. The tracks are set out in order of recording with the exception of one track (WTF?!?!?!?) Prestige issued this material in a most higgledy-piggledy way (a frequent practice), so I guess one can get a different perspective on these classic sessions.

"At ease" was recorded 31 Jan 1960 and must have been released early in that year, so it's only just come out of copyright.

I dare say the stuff has been copied from Prestige CDs, so the sound is likely to be good.

MG

• 2 months later...

I am on Disc 3 of this set and I have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's made by some EU group Solar Records. It doesn't SEEM to be a Fresh Sound company. I checked on their website looking at all labels and there was no mention of this. What's interesting about this release is that they reprint the original liner notes (with attribution) and album artwork. The sound is excellent. I'm not convinced that this is one of those bootleg Spain reissue companies. :excited:

They've also come out with a 3-CD Coleman Hawkins set which I've ordered. :excited:

http://www.worldsrecords.com/cgi-bin/storeR.cgi/specific=itemcode&phrase=65783&cart_id=07-26-10.28412

So what do you guys think about this label???? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Edited by tranemonk

I picked up all of them except the Al Haig... The Donald Byrd is EXCELLENT! Despite the theory that this may be the same (non-royalty paying) group from Spain (or thereabouts), the production values seem far better than the Fresh Sound group of labels.

Some other recent Solar Records releases:

123651.jpg123647.jpg

123762.jpg123650.jpg

How is the sound on the Cookbook. I'm tempted. Didn't Fantasy or Concord reissue the whole series in separate discs not long ago.

Of the others I'm tempted to pick up the Hawkins and the Haig. Maybe the Byrd but have to see what's on it, to avoid duplication :)

I thought the sound was better on these than the OJC originals... ( I only had one of them...)

How is the sound on the Cookbook. I'm tempted. Didn't Fantasy or Concord reissue the whole series in separate discs not long ago.

Of the others I'm tempted to pick up the Hawkins and the Haig. Maybe the Byrd but have to see what's on it, to avoid duplication :)

Maybe the Byrd but have to see what's on it, to avoid duplication :)

The Donald Byrd-Bobby Jaspar Solar is a double CD that includes the full Paris Olympia concert of October 1958 that appeared on French Brunswick including 'More of the Same' from the same concert that came out on Italian bootlegs plus about half of the content of the Chat Qui Peche gig by the same group that was reissued a couple of years ago on FreshSound.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand you Tranemonk. Of course each can hear what he or she wants to hear but the Cookbook set sounds terrible. The OJC issues are far superior to this new set sound wise. They are no clones of the OJC cd's for sure and sound like needle drops to me. Stick to the original cd's by Fantasy and you're all set imo.

a word of warning to the consumer,

if you are not hearing the cookbooks on vangelder stamp yellor or black n silver prestige labels, you are microwaving, not COOKING let alone COOKIN', anything----

if im gonna hear jazz on cd, im gonna listen to David Sanborn- Voyeur (this ultra-rare cd i recently got), i might also listen to Dave Grusin- out of the shadows. but cookin is NOT going to transfer the same way, it is impossible. you have to save up for a player and some speakers and then buy the vangelders. u will think u are in a live concert live in your place with lock & shirley

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a complete track list of the Mingus Hentoff set:

1 Folk Forms No.1 13:05

2 Original Faubus Fables 9:07

3 What Love 15:23

4 All The Things You Could Be By Now If Sigmund Freud's Wife Was Your Mother 8:36

5 Stormy Weather 13:26

6 Melody From The Drums 9:18

7 Reincarnation Of A Lovebird No.1 9:17

8 Vasserlean 6:39

9 Mdm [monk, Duke & Mingus] 19:11

10 Bugs 8:29

11 Reincarnation Of A Lovebird No.2 6:58

12 Lock 'em Up 6:42

13 Cliff Walk 9:45*

14 T'ain't Nobody's Bizness If I Do 7:17*

15 Mysterious Blues 8:39

16 Body And Soul 13:49

17 Body And Soul [alternate Take] 10:48

18 R & R 11:51

19 Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams 3:52

20 Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams [alternate Take] 3:54

21 Me And You 9:51

Looks like the extras are some Newport Rebels tracks (*).

8436028697250.jpg

But those extras are not complete, as there was another (mono) take of the track with Abbey Lincoln (Nobody's Business) on the Candid Dolphy CD.

Edited by mikeweil