Lee Morgan - Tomcat

mjzee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How is the last track spelled on this version, and who do they give composer crrdit to?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

If you're speaking of Riggarmortes the Music Matters reissue lists the composer as Morgan on the record label and this is how its spelled.

On my 1990 Blue Note CD reissue (84446-2) it's spelt "Rigormortis" (one word, while it's actually two words) and M. Levy, H. Glover and J. Dell are listed as composers.

Morgan is the composer.

The other thing is a Blue Note fuck-up because somebody didn't do their copyright search correctly.

There is a lead sheet for 'Rigormortis' at LC by Glover, Morris and Joey Dee (not Dell), i.e. the Starlighters guy. It has nothing to do with Lee's tune which is copyrighted as 'Riggar Mortes' (or maybe just one word). The Levy thing is some lame rip-off of Chopin's 'Funeral March.'

Bertrand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I was in Bull Moose Music the other day and I found a cheap(er) copy of the XRCD of Morgan's "Tomcat" so I figured I would give it another try. I've had the Ron McMaster CD for years but rarely listen to it.

The sound is very good, much better than the old McMaster CD and if it's a favorite of yours, I would definitely recommend it.

Unfortunately, this date has never been a favorite of mine. I never bought into the whole "this sat on the shelf because Blue Note wanted Morgan to get out another Sidewinder" stuff. I always felt Jackie McLean was really off on this date. He has a few flubs in almost every solo, even blowing some obnoxious clams in 3 of the 5 tunes. The playing just sounds loose to my ears. Even Lee seems blasé, often getting behind the beat by more than usual and doing that half-valving stuff all the time. It's almost like he's running out of ideas. Tyner and Blakey keep the date going and for their playing alone, the CD is a keeper. But I doubt it'll get into the player before many of Lee's other dates.

Given what I've read about Alfred Lion's standards, I think it's more likely that the overall level of play held this session back rather than a need for another "Sidewinder".

Are these new covers by Patrick Roques?

I've generally really liked most of Patrick's "homage to classic BN covers", but I'll confess I'm finding these a little 'meh'.

Certainly not "bad" to the point of offense, but what must surely be a reorientation of the source pic on the new Matador cover seems a little not true to form -- and I'm not much of a fan of pics of people blowing smoke (i.e. the new Solid). I guess the Tom Cat is OK, but maybe the colors seem a little stronger than usual for BN.

Or maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed today, who knows.