Jason Moran receives MacArthur Genius Award

relyles

He has good taste in influences (Byard, Muhal, Andrew Hill), and I was kind of on board until his blues album from a few years back with that cheesy guitarist, "Same Mother." Yeesh.

Hiccups can happen along the way. I like his latest more than that album (faint praise I guess), though I can understand the desire to add a new instrument to the mix, even if I didn't care much for the results. Congrats to Mr. Moran.

been enjoying his leader dates since the first (but like others, with major reservations for the guitarist on Same Mother). Think his solo disc, Modernistic, is a standout solo piano recording. Seen Bandwagon twice live and they are a mighty impressive unit. I missed the Monk multimedia show he did in London and have regretted it ever since...

So, yes, I think this is recognition, well deserved.

Moran is a well exposed mediocrity but it proves a major label deal is still worth... "something." And it's no crime in being a mediocrity but he's had PLENTY of time to demonstrate he has concepts or even mad impulses more and that he's not done, which is a goddamn crime even if he's a "reliable" "pro." Better the dough went to Craig Taborn or, hell, since the Vandermark thing is still a goddamn farce, Taborn's sometimes employer... Tim Berne, who, while not under-documented... would probably do something interesting with the bread.

Also, assuming there should be a token jazzbo: Wadada, Rosocoe, Muhal (before they're dead)... I'm not such a fan of William Parker music but as a benign social force you can't criticize dude... ALLEN LOWE (so he can do a big band).

I'm out of touch with the younger generation, except at confessional, but I'd rather a young composer get it-- oh, speaking of which, how about Hannibal Lokumbe (more ideas in a month than Moran will have in a career) or Michael Daugherty?

(The great) George Lewis too.

And please, can we pretend Stanley's 10th rate Albert Murray imitations are only very distantly jazz related?

In retrospect Ran Blake is a really bizarre choice, although I have a great deal of admiration for him. I wonder who even knew to nominate him and not, say, Muhal?

Here are the other jazz-related fellows: Ran Blake (1988); Max Roach (1988); George Russell (1989); Gunther Schuller (1991); Cecil Taylor (1991); Steve Lacy (1992); Stanley Crouch (1993); Ornette Coleman (1994); Anthony Braxton (1994); Ken Vandermark (1999); John Zorn (2006); Regina Carter (2006); and, Miguel Zenon (2008).

Who are the most glaring misses? Who has done the most since receiving their fellowship?

I am a fan of Moran's playing. I don't know the criteria for receipt of the award and have no opinion whether he deserves it over anyone else (although I would hate to think of it as some sort of competition). Congratulations to Mr. Moran and I hope he does something worthwhile with the award.

Crouch was a big mistake and I hope they have come to realize that. He couldn't even get his never-ending Parker book off the ground, which—given much of his previous writing—is probably a blessing. Moran, on the other hand, strikers me as a good choice—there is much more to him than his piano playing. Allan Lowe? Yes, definitely someone who will do even more with his considerable talent if given the financial freedom that McArthur doles out.

I must confess, I've never heard of Miguel Zenon.

I saw him with the SF Jazz Collective a couple of years ago. That lineup was comprised of Bobby Hutcherson, Dave Douglas, Joshua Redman, Renee Rosnes, Eric Harland, Andre Heyward, and Matt Penman. Zenon more than held his own on the front line with Douglas and Redman (in fact Redman was probably the least interesting soloist that night, I thought, despite his being the artistic director).

Zenon's still in the SF Jazz lineup currently, alongside Mark Turner, Avishai Cohen, Robin Eubanks, Stefon Harris, Edward Simon, Penman, & Harland.

Seen Bandwagon twice live and they are a mighty impressive unit. I missed the Monk multimedia show ...

I thought the Monk show was ok but not amazing. I've seen Bandwagon live (I believe at the dearly departed Hothouse) but wasn't crazy about it. I much prefer him in more straight-ahead settings. I'd probably have to go look to see if I saw him play with Osby or not.