Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remember this from June 6?

Kevin Ayers: The Harvest Years 1969-1974 (5 CDs) - 14.67 GBP (currently 19.10 GBP)

http://www.amazon.co...0575594&sr=1-23

It will be replaced on the 20th with an OAS (15.99 GBP).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Album-Series-Kevin-Ayers/dp/B00G040NDO/ref=pd_sim_m_h__2

that's a pity - the earlier release contained 36 bonus tracks (non LP 7", BBC material etc) pertinent to each original LP

Yep, the earlier release basically gets it perfect, and at a great price. All the post-Soft Machine Ayers I need.

Reckless records has a few Mosaic box sets at rather good prices. Just enter Mosaic in the search box.

http://www.reckless.com/index.php

ELLINGTON, DUKE

REPRISE STUDIO RECORDINGS (OUT OF PRINT) :5CDS & BOOK, #'D, MOSAIC BOX SET

CONDITION NOTE: All the discs are clean! Box/book in nice shape

Available at: Milwaukee Ave.

Used CD $74.99

FARMER, ART & BENNY GOLSON

COMPLETE ARGO/MERCURY ART FAMER/BENNY :GOLSON/JAZZTET SESSIONS (7CDS LIMITED)

Available at: Broadway

Used CD $139.99

JACQUET, ILLINOIS

COMPLETE ILLINOIS JACQUET SESSIONS 45-50 1945-50, 4CDS & BOOK IN BOX, #'D MOSAIC

CONDITION NOTE: Very Clean! #290

Used CD $59.99

JONES, THAD

COMPLETE BLUE NOTE/UA/ROULETTE RECORDING :3CDS & BOOK IN BOX, #'D, MOSAIC 172

Used CD $79.99

TEAGARDEN, JACK

COMPLETE CAPITOL FIFTIES (4CDS & BOOK) JACK TEAGARDEN SESSIONS (MOSAIC BOX,#'D)

Used CD $79.99

Hmmm. I'm considering this. Not sure I want 30 more cds. Isn't there some really good Prez included?

I've really bought it for the things other than Prez (Duke Jordan, Cecil Payne etc.) ... there's a ton of Parker (10 or 12 or so discs?) and some Pres (3 or 4 discs?) ... it was discussed in some detail here:

I never tried to find out what exactly the Pres and Bird material is in detail (and haven't played any of it yet, either) ... but I think there's not much new to today's listener (i.e. Bird's Rockland is there, but I think at wrong speed ... but check the thread linked above for more).

I've really bought it for the things other than Prez (Duke Jordan, Cecil Payne etc.) ... there's a ton of Parker (10 or 12 or so discs?) and some Pres (3 or 4 discs?) ... it was discussed in some detail here:

I never tried to find out what exactly the Pres and Bird material is in detail (and haven't played any of it yet, either) ... but I think there's not much new to today's listener (i.e. Bird's Rockland is there, but I think at wrong speed ... but check the thread linked above for more).

It's Membran, isn't it?

If it is ... meh.

It's Membran, isn't it?

If it is ... meh.

At $1.67 a disc, it's a steal. There's a lot of interesting obscurities and semi-obscurities on that set, it's well worth the money even excluding the Bird and Prez. And I found the sound on the non-Bird/Prez stuff to be pretty good, all things considered.

I bought the Charlie Parker Records box when it came out. It's certainly an odd duck. Some of it is good jazz, some of it is lounge singers and borsht belt comedians circa early '60's, some of it is from other labels, and then there's the Bird stuff.

These are all pretty good to very good:

Cecil Payne "Performing Charlie Parker's Music"

Cecil Payne's "The Connection,"

Duke Jordan's "Les Liaisons Dangereuses,"

Duke Jordan and Sadik Hakim's "East and West of Jazz,"

Mundell Lowe's "Satan in High Heels,"

Yusef Lateef's "Lost In Sound,"

Cozy Cole's "A Cozy Conception of Carmen" (this one's an odd one),

Slide Hampton's "Two Sides of Slide,"

Barry Miles's "Miles of Genius,"

Pete Jolly "Gasses Everybody" (another odd one - jazz accordion? but not bad),

Ray Barretto & Brock Peters's "Mysterious Instinct" (another really odd one),

Ray Nance's "A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing,"

Red Norvo's "Pretty Is The Only Way To Fly"

Barney Kessel - El Tigre

Teddy Wilson - On Tour (rough sound quality)

Lester Young - Pres (Savoy Ballroom, NYC, 2/22/50; Jesse Drakes, Pres, Kenny Drew, Leroy Jackson or Aaron Bell, Jo Jones)

Lester Young - Just You, Just Me (4 tracks from Royal Roost, NYC, 3/19/49: Jesse Drakes, Jerry Elliott, Pres, Junior Mance, Ted Briscoe, Roy Haynes; 3 tracks from Royal Roost, NYC, 12/4/48: Jesse Drakes, Ted Kelly, Pres, Freddie Jefferson, Ted Briscoe, Roy Haynes)

Lester Young - Pres Is Blue (Savoy Ballroom, 2/22/50)

These are from other labels:

Art Pepper & Marty Paich Quartet

Art Pepper & Shelly Manne - Pepper Manne

Oscar Moore - The Fabulous Oscar Moore Guitar

Miles Davis - Many Miles of Davis (Dial material)

These are lounge singers:

Jerri Winters - Winters Again

Alice Darr - I Only Know How To Cry

Joe Carroll - Man With A Happy Sound

Ann Williams - First Time Out

Allen Keller - A New Look At The World (ugh)

Kevin Gavin - Hey! This Is Kevin Gavin (ugh)

These are anthologies of tracks taken from other albums ​in this same box:

Best Plucking In Town

An Odyssey of Immortal Jazz Performances

Oddities:

The Orioles - The Modern Sounds of The Orioles (doo-wop)

Beatrice Kay - Having A Party (unfunny comedienne)

I've detailed the Bird discs in another thread.

It's Membran, isn't it?

If it is ... meh.

Tis indeed, but look at the "pretty good to very good" list in mjzee's most helpful overview, with which I agree ... alternatives would be aplenty in an ideal world, but as it is, there's some on Collectables (licensed, I guess) and some on Fresh Sound and the like ... and yes, I do have the official Pepper and Moore abd Paich discs.

Also look at the other thread for plenty of info, including some discussion of sound that's not all that unfavorable.

Edited by king ubu

I actually like that Alice Darr album a lot. Very similar to the first Julie London album, with just guitar and bass, very moody, and I like her singing. And the Joe Carroll is nice to have.

Edited by felser

The Joe Carroll has Grant Green, right? Is it really a lounge-type affair? I've never heard it myself, just wondering.

I recall it being very "happy." Every tune is a happy tune. Bah, humbug.

New York - February 12, 1962
Joe Carroll (vcl) acc. by Connie Lester (ts) Specs Williams (org) Grant Green (g) Lee Ainsley (d)
Edited by mjzee

Whoa! Conrad Lester too!?!?!?!?!

That's my kind of lounge!

I have a beat-up copy of a Joe Carroll LP on Epic, so this was not his only leader date. Not sure of there were any more though.

I agree that for me, a little Joe Carroll goes a long way. But I fully enjoy going there with that little bit.

It's Membran, isn't it?

If it is ... meh.

Tis indeed, but look at the "pretty good to very good" list in mjzee's most helpful overview, with which I agree ... alternatives would be aplenty in an ideal world, but as it is, there's some on Collectables (licensed, I guess) and some on Fresh Sound and the like ... and yes, I do have the official Pepper and Moore abd Paich discs.

Also look at the other thread for plenty of info, including some discussion of sound that's not all that unfavorable.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

Do any of you know what is the overlap between this set and Membran's 100-CD set, World's Greatest Jazz Collection: Bebop Story? I found little discussion about this set on Organissimo - someone had provided a link to the track listing, but the link no longer works and I have been unable to find any detailed track listing for this set, which sells for $89.99 on Amazon.

Do any of you know what is the overlap between this set and Membran's 100-CD set, World's Greatest Jazz Collection: Bebop Story? I found little discussion about this set on Organissimo - someone had provided a link to the track listing, but the link no longer works and I have been unable to find any detailed track listing for this set, which sells for $89.99 on Amazon.

Here's the listing for Bebop Story, if you have the patience to go through it:

Bebop Story - Membran

Here's the listing for Bebop Story, if you have the patience to go through it:

Bebop Story - Membran

Thanks!