what is your most valuable album....

manfred

Which of your albums is the most valuable to you?

i mean: you like the music, love the musicians, it´s very rare (and expensive ;-)),

and you are happy "to have" it, and you even listen to the music ;-) and you "hunted" for it for a long time to get it finally

(or it is one of the first albums, you bought, with your first money, in your first record shop, that (the record, not the shop, or even both ?)now is nearly a part of you)

and if you would sell all your records, you would not sell this one.....

you would only bequeath it to your beloved child....

you may tell us, WHY it`s so valuable to you...

please name just one, but not more than three, starting with the absolut most valuable....

as i start the topic, i may name four ;-))

1. "Tyger" by Mike Westbrook

2. Archie Shepp "live in donaueschingen"

3. Joachim Kühn "Monday Morning"

4. Jeanne Lee "Conspiracy"

kind regards from old europe

manfred

Edited by manfred

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe these two? (the first two that pop to mind)...

Sun Ra Quartet - Other Voices, Other Blues (Horo, about 1978)

Milt Ward & Virgo Spectrum (private label, circa 1976, if I remember right)

Milt Ward - trumpet, flugelhorn

Carlos Garnett - tenor saxophone

Bill Pierce - tenor & soprano saxophone

Eddie Alex - alto saxophone & flute

Glenn Barbour - baritone saxophone

Delmar Brown - electric & acoustic piano & synthesizer

Coucho Martinez - fender bass

Cecil McBee - acoustic bass

Ignacio Mena - percussion Hugh Peterson - drums

post-171-129175482248_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

some of my dad's beat-up LPs I guess... on top, the one that might be my own all-time favorite album:

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (mono)

then:

Art Blakey - Free for All (stereo, I think, don't have it at hand to check)

next maybe the Tina Brooks Mosaic set.

then maybe my dad's original of Jimmy Smith's "The Cat", the original Impule of Shelly Manne's "2 - 3 - 4" that I got myself...

The Randy Weston Horo and one of his Coras (Rhythm & Sounds Piano)

And definitely the Canova LP of Joe Malinga, "Tears for the Children of Soweto"

Also some CD box sets, just because I cherish the music... the Ellington Centennial box, the Rahsaan Mercury box, the Ayler Holy Ghost box, the Jimmy Lyons box.

And of course plenty of Mosaic boxes... Hill, Jones, Jones/Lewis, Jay Jay, TKM, Giuffre...

And the "Musical History" box by the Band, because it opened a whole new universe for me, musically!

Alan Dawson - Waltzin' with Flo: I've owned it for about 5 years or so, and it took me about 6 months to find it. Although it's now available for download, I've rarely seen it for sale. There's a copy on Amazon UK for about $225 American. It's a great disc, with some underappreciated sidemen and some tracks featuring Dawson on vibes. It's also well-recorded.

Hank Jones - Oracle: I'm not sure if this is available for download, but copies can be found on Amazon for close to $50. It's one of my favorite Hank Jones discs. Billy Higgins and Hank Jones make a good team on this and The Essence (a trio date with Ray Drummond).

This stuff is very much in flux, y'know?

I'd say the most valuable pieces I have right now in no particular order are

Frank Wright "Church Number Nine" (Calumet red-label original)

The Cairo Free Jazz Ensemble "Heliopolis" (Goethe Institut Cairo)

Huseyin Ertunc "Musiki" (Intex)

Phill Musra "The Creator Spaces" (Intex)

Kees Hazevoet "Pleasure One" (Peace)

v/a Workshop Freie Musik 1969-1978 (FMP) 3 LPs + Book w/ box

Michel Portal "Our Meanings & Our Feelings" (Pathe France)

Marzette Watts Ensemble (Savoy)

Probably some other shit along these lines too that might go for a lot of bucks, but whatever.

I still have and cherish a number of BN Lexingtons (Miles, Bud, KD, Jazz Messengers, Herbie Nichols, Paul Chambers, etc...).

Most of them in excellent condition!

Still kick myself for having been overly generous and lending a number of vinyls (including Saxophone Colossus, Byrd Transition, Prestige Tranes...) when I was an Army conscript on my way to the Algerian war back then.

Friends enjoyed the albums and failed to returned them when I came back home :angry:

Alan Dawson - Waltzin' with Flo: I've owned it for about 5 years or so, and it took me about 6 months to find it. Although it's now available for download, I've rarely seen it for sale. There's a copy on Amazon UK for about $225 American. It's a great disc, with some underappreciated sidemen and some tracks featuring Dawson on vibes. It's also well-recorded.

Hank Jones - Oracle: I'm not sure if this is available for download, but copies can be found on Amazon for close to $50. It's one of my favorite Hank Jones discs. Billy Higgins and Hank Jones make a good team on this and The Essence (a trio date with Ray Drummond).

Yeah, I love Oracle. I had no idea it was going for that much money these days. The Essence is also great. I'm a Hank Jones fan too. :cool:

I have a number of Blue Notes that I cherish and if I had to pick one it would be Open Sesame by Freddie Hubbard as far as value and my love for the music goes. It's just a blistering performance by Freddie and everyone else.

"Mingus at Monterey" . On Amazon it looks like it costs $75. I do like it but can't really claim it's even my favorite Mingus.

I think the most I ever paid for vinyl was $30 for the Gil Evans on Horo. (Can't remember the title right now.) May be the most I ever paid for a single cd too. Just paid almost that much for Ellington's Togo Bravo Suite (on Storyville) because I'd never come across it in a store before. Found it in Toronto. It's really good. Worth every cent.

Not sure, but these three are probably worth something:

Frank Sinatra A Man and His Music (Reprise) in a fancy slipcase, numbered (1598) and signed by Sinatra

Duke Ellington Fifteen Swing (Grinnell College)

Various For Example (FMP) 3 lps and 140 page book

I should also mention the Art Ensemble of Chicago People In Sorrow (nessa) first pressing, still sealed. I found this when we emptied my father's house a few years back.

Maybe more when I think about it.