New Coleman Hawkins Mosaic big box coming

The Mosaic site doesn't show this in any way that I can see...in fact, Hawkins' name isn't selectable in the search-for-artists menu.

Any tips for finding out more about it?

The Hawkins set is not available for pre-order yet, so there's nothing about it on their site. The discography was provided directly by Mosaic. I got it a couple of months ago when I asked them about it; at the time they asked me not to post it because it wasn't final yet - apparently it is now.

It is available if you call them!!!! :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the notes and credits as I got them from Mosaic a couple of months ago; they may not be the definitive notes that will appear in the booklet:

In a departure from previous Mosaic sets, we have included full performances from the lacquer discs that existed for Sessions (QQ) and (EEE). Considering we or any other label may never again have the opportunity to release these in their entirety, it was imperative we issue them in complete form.

Scott Wenzel

I don't understand what this means. I see they've included all the alternates but they've done that before. Why would this opportunity not exist in the future?

These are the notes and credits as I got them from Mosaic a couple of months ago; they may not be the definitive notes that will appear in the booklet:

In a departure from previous Mosaic sets, we have included full performances from the lacquer discs that existed for Sessions (QQ) and (EEE). Considering we or any other label may never again have the opportunity to release these in their entirety, it was imperative we issue them in complete form.

Scott Wenzel

I don't understand what this means. I see they've included all the alternates but they've done that before. Why would this opportunity not exist in the future?

Because someone might reclaim some rights, some douchebags might extend copyright laws, Mosaic (or the world at large) might go under... make your pick :w

The Mosaic site doesn't show this in any way that I can see...in fact, Hawkins' name isn't selectable in the search-for-artists menu.

The Hawkins set is not available for pre-order yet, so there's nothing about it on their site. The discography was provided directly by Mosaic. I got it a couple of months ago when I asked them about it; at the time they asked me not to post it because it wasn't final yet - apparently it is now.

Thanks. Will just have to be patient. I have a great portion of this, but I'll expect improved sound from Mosaic...

COLEMAN HAWKINS AND HIS ORCHESTRA:

042933-8 Meet Doctor Foo N

042934-12 Fine Dinner N

042935-2 She’s Funny That Way N

042936-1 Body And Soul N

SOURCE LIST

The following source material was used for this release. P refers to a positive (clockwise spinning) metal part while N refers to a negative (counterclockwise spinning) metal part. T refers to a vinyl test pressing. All other sources come from the original 78s unless otherwise noted and are identified by their label and catalog number.

Info from SW suggests good sources, I can't post the whole thing as the formatting goes weird

i think i skip this mosaic issue. 99% of this material i have and i don´t understand the hype of this release, because i think 99% of the people here are ownded the material in various forms. no reason to buy it the second or third time.

keep boppin´

marcel

Scott Wenzel

Because someone might reclaim some rights, some douchebags might extend copyright laws, Mosaic (or the world at large) might go under... make your pick :w

Let me put it another way: What does "it was imperative we issue them in complete form" mean? That they're using all takes? What is a full performance?

i think i skip this mosaic issue. 99% of this material i have and i don´t understand the hype of this release, because i think 99% of the people here are ownded the material in various forms. no reason to buy it the second or third time.

keep boppin´

marcel

What do you base your assumption on that "99% of the people here own the material in various forms"? I very much doubt the percentage is that high and the set is not made exclusively for "the people here". Besides, I think there's a good chance the sound quality on the upcoming Mosaic set will be relatively good and possibly better than on many post-78 releases. I am very much looking forward to this set.

Thanks. Will just have to be patient. I have a great portion of this, but I'll expect improved sound from Mosaic...

Scott told me a while ago that they're looking at a November release - in time for Xmas.

Edited by J.A.W.

keep boppin´

marcel

What do you base your assumption on that "99% of the people here own the material in various forms"? ...

I think 99% of the people on the forum have some of it (like "Body and Soul") but to have all of it? 10-20% maybe. Even if you have the Affinity box, the Mosaic appears to cover more material. Anyway, I think it is a great looking set, and I will pick it up, despite some overlap.

Might be my last Mosaic for some time actually. My U.S. mailing address is going away in early Jan. I guess it isn't that much more to ship to Canada, but it's still a disincentive. Well, nothing lasts forever.

keep boppin´

marcel

What do you base your assumption on that "99% of the people here own the material in various forms"? I very much doubt the percentage is that high and the set is not made exclusively for "the people here". Besides, I think there's a good chance the sound quality on the upcoming Mosaic set will be relatively good and possibly better than on many post-78 releases. I am very much looking forward to this set.

o.k., i withdraw the sentence to the basic:"i think i skip this mosaic issue. 99% of this material i have...no reason to buy it the second or third time."

the sound quality may be better than on all other releases but this is for me not so important as to buy it again. this is a good set for someone who will start to collect coleman hawkins and has not so much recordings of him from this period.

keep boppin´

marcel

Even if you have the Affinity box, the Mosaic appears to cover more material. Anyway, I think it is a great looking set, and I will pick it up, despite some overlap.

Might be my last Mosaic for some time actually. My U.S. mailing address is going away in early Jan. I guess it isn't that much more to ship to Canada, but it's still a disincentive. Well, nothing lasts forever.

I have the Affinity set which claims to be complete but has none of the Fletcher Henderson sides. (Horace but not Fletcher.)

Just pray that Mosaic doesn't ship via Canada Post. There are many things in Canada better than in the US but the post office isn't one of them.

If I counted correctly there will be 190 tracks in this new set (including breakdowns) 18 are previously unissued. Of the issued material the only thrack I don't have is the Mamie Smith. For me 10% will be new. This is reason enough to buy this set. The much beter sound and the book also helps.

Off Course I could listen to the 180 tracks I have by pulling out all the diffrent CD's by Hawkins, Henderson, Carter, McKinney's Cottonpickers etc. It's a good idea I think having a selection showcasing Hawkins' development in his early years.

Comparing this set with the Affinity set there are 47 tracks overlapping. The Affinity set covers the years 1929-1941, the Mosaic 1922-1947. The Affinity has no Fletcher Henderson, (Little)Chocolad Dandies, Lionel Hampton, McKinney's Cotton Pickers nor the Benny Carter 30 January 1940 session. For the sake of completenes also missing are the 3 sessions with Spike Hughes, the Varisty Seven 14 December 1939 and 15 January 1940 sessions and the Quintones session of 2 February, 1940.

Of the European recordings 5 takes recorded for Dutch Decca were not availlable or overlooked at the time of issue of the Affinity. Otherwise it's complete. :smirk:

Scott Wenzel

Let me put it another way: What does "it was imperative we issue them in complete form" mean? That they're using all takes? What is a full performance?

Of course I don't know what it means... but I tend to understand it in a way that these lacquer discs may contain some in-between-takes banter or false starts and some such?

Anyway, this box looks terrific and even though I probably have much of the music in some form, I'll be very happy to get it, eventually!

Just pray that Mosaic doesn't ship via Canada Post. There are many things in Canada better than in the US but the post office isn't one of them.

Yeah. I'm finding that out. I think it was already problematic, and now that the postal workers union was basically broken by the PM (shades of Reagan and the air traffic controllers), service is even worse.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit surprised that they left out Miss Hannah from the McKinney's Cotton Pickers session but used two takes of Wherever There's a Will Baby from the same session. Neither songs strike me as essential but I like the Don Redman vocal on both of them. (I only know about Miss Hannah because it's on the Bluebird "Coleman Hawkins: A Retrospective" 2 cd set.)