New Coleman Hawkins Mosaic big box coming

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've posted some Mosaic news on the Night Lights site that may be of interest to youse guys. :w

Thanks for posting that, David. I knew about a possible Coleman Hawkins Select with his RCA recordings from the late 1930s onwards, but I'm glad they changed their mind and are now planning a big set that will include 1920s to mid-1940s Sony and BMG-owned dates and several sessions that are now in the public domain.

Good news about a big set with the Jimmie Lunceford Decca sides too, especially for those who don't have the OOP French Masters of Jazz CDs which cover the same era (and more).

"...labels either currently owned by Sony Music (Banner, Brunswick, Cameo, Clarion, Columbia, Conqueror, Domino, Harmony, Lincoln, Melotone, OKeh, Oriole, Perfect, Romeo, Velvet Tone and Vocalion) and BMG (Bluebird, Signature, Victor and “X”). We have also included sessions that currently have no ownership and are in the public domain (Baronet, Ca-Song, Continental, Manor, Regis and Selmer)" says the link.

Hmm...does this include European stuff for Euro labels, then leased to Americans companies? As in for-Swing, released-on-Victor?

And look out, Andorrans! Mosaic is getting into Public Domain sessions... :rolleyes:

I just love Hawkins. The first recording of Hawkins I heard was 'Stardust' with Django and Grappelli on piano. Still a favorite of mine. Followed later by Fletcher Henderson's recording of 'The Stampede', The All-Star Jam Session with 'Crazy Rhythm'. The 78 Sw. 1 is one of my prized possesions. The 1944 session with Monk. 'The Man I love' from December 18, 1943.

I could go on and on.

Will 7 CD's be enough to do Hawkins justice?

Wow, a Hawkins box! What fantastic, no terrific news! :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

They should make this 20CDs and have it cover all the pre-album-recordings of the mighty Hawk, but no matter what will be in there, I'll definitely get this! Glad to have the Keynote 4CD set though, as that material will not be covered, as I understand?

I am SO EXCITED. WOW! This is wonderful, now they just need to come out on schedule WITH NO DELAYS!!! :tup:w:party:

If indeed these do drop in May, that will mean we will have 3-4 brand new Mosaics to choose from in one month!!! The Hawkins and Lunceford are going to be monumental. Wonder who they will get for remastering...?

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE! I will be getting the MJQ set in May, but I am truly excited about this news.

Edited by Jazz Nut

I have (more than) all Hawk from this period. Hmmm.

Me too, but I'll probably get this anyway. Actually I don't have much of his work with Henderson. (Fletcher that is, I seem to have a lot of his work with Horace. ) However who knows for sure? Bean was so prolific I don't think there's a published discography devoted to him. (And if there is it must be huge.)

Edited by medjuck

It's encouraging to see Mosaic coming up with more new projects again.

Like the Chu Berry set, this one makes trade-offs: more Hawkins solos in exchange for fewer complete sessions. Like the Berry set, this one will mean some duplication with fairly available cd issues, including Hep and (for once the shoe on the other foot) JSP. The most notable "omission" seems to be Hawkins' European sides from the 1930s, but it is certainly a plus to get coherent coverage of his 1940s work.

In addition to the JSP set, Affinity put out a 6-cd set of Hawkins material from 1929 to 1941, back at the dawn of the cd age.

Given the availability of much of the Hawkins sides on cd, the test is going to be the sound quality: the Heps and JSPs sound pretty nice.

On the discographical front, Jan Evensmo published one of his solographies on Hawkins, covering 1929 to 1942. Jean-Francois Villetard then came out with a two-volume discography that carried Hawkins' career from 1922 to 1957.

I The most notable "omission" seems to be Hawkins' European sides from the 1930s, but it is certainly a plus to get coherent coverage of his 1940s work.

In addition to the JSP set, Affinity put out a 6-cd set of Hawkins material from 1929 to 1941, back at the dawn of the cd age.

That Affinity disc has most (all?) of the European material but no documentation at all-- at least my copy doesn't. There's also a very good Proper Box called Coleman Hawkins: The Be-Bop Years.

If indeed these do drop in May, that will mean we will have 3-4 brand new Mosaics to choose from in one month!!!

You'd better read the last paragraph of the post David (Ghost) linked to again, there’s no anticipated date of release yet for the Hawkins.

*Extremely* pleased to hear this -- thanks, Ghost of Miles.

Unlike some posters, I don't have any of this music since I don't buy PD releases or compilations, and that's where it all seems to have ended up over the past 20-odd years. I was worried that sets like the JSP, which I've heard is very good of its kind, would have prevented a Mosaic. I needn't have worried.

I've posted some Mosaic news on the Night Lights site that may be of interest to youse guys. :w

Thanks for posting that, David. I knew about a possible Coleman Hawkins Select with his RCA recordings from the late 1930s onwards, but I'm glad they changed their mind and are now planning a big set that will include 1920s to mid-1940s Sony and BMG-owned dates and several sessions that are now in the public domain.

Good news about a big set with the Jimmie Lunceford Decca sides too, especially for those who don't have the OOP French Masters of Jazz CDs which cover the same era (and more).

Has there been public mention already of the Lunceford Decca set? I thought that there had been, which is why I described that item as an update.

not being a discographical expert I'm not too clear how much of this might be new to me. I have lots of Hawk scattered across CDs, LPs and 78s. Assuming the sound is top notch I'd go for this even with extensive overlap with what I have already.

Has there been public mention already of the Lunceford Decca set? I thought that there had been, which is why I described that item as an update.

Yes, the Lunceford had been mentioned before.

not being a discographical expert I'm not too clear how much of this might be new to me. I have lots of Hawk scattered across CDs, LPs and 78s. Assuming the sound is top notch I'd go for this even with extensive overlap with what I have already.

That's why I say, although most of this is probably easily obtainable, it's a good box to have. With an artist as important as Coleman Hawkins, it's good to have the various bits and pieces corralled into one coherent set.