Anyone else here bought some CDs that you haven't listened to yet?

Hardbopjazz

I realized I have bought a few CDs this year that I haven't even opened yet. One being "The Storyteller" by Randy Weston. I bought it back in February. I know this because I still have the receipt. I'm a big fan of Weston. I don't know why I haven't listen to the CD yet. Anyone else done this?

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I realized I have a bought a few CDs this year that I haven't even opened yet. One being "The Storyteller" by Randy Weston. I bought it back in February. I know this because I still have the receipt. I'm a big fan of Weston. I don't know why I haven't listen to the CD yet. Anyone else done this?

Nope, I think you and GA are the only ones. :w^_^

Add me to the guilty list.

Sometimes the hunt is the highlight...

You know you will get to them eventually-but as the list grows you know you must

wait till retirement till you find time.

But the hunt never ends

Many of us continue though to hit the used bins at least a few times a month looking for "finds" as we are addicted...

I plead "the fifth"... <_<

I would be embarrassed to list all the Mosaic boxes I have that I haven't made my way through. Some I've had for years. Not to put too fine a point on it, but how about the single CD's you've only listened to only once. If I could wave a magic wand in front of my collection and all of these flew off the shelves together, I'd most likely be killed.

I agree with jazzkrow. As much as I hate to admit it, a fair amount of the thrill was in the hunt. And, trust me, as one who is retired, being so does not adequately address the listening issue.

I always try to listen to a disc 2 times before it gets filed away. Sometimes things will pile up for a few weeks but eventually they make their way off the little "to listen to" piles. However I've had Michael Formanek's The Rub & Spare Change in a pile which I bought before seeing him early last summer, having only been played once. :w Maybe enough time has passed that I might even like Taborn this time around...(oops, that's another thread.)

I'm the butt of jokes from friends and family who have a good time making fun of my collection of unopened cds (mainly ojc's from the piles I bought during the Concord dump of 2006 (2007?). One friend told me his daughter depledged her sorority when one of the vows was that she had to open all of her cds. I guess I enjoy the anticipation of listening to something new so I delay listening to recent and not so recent purchases. But I'm learning that it's frightening how quickly time passes.

Quite a few. I'm still working through three different box sets: Riverside Wes Montgomery, the FMP retrospective box, and the Ictus box. And according to the postal service I have a fourth box arriving tomorrow. Plus a stack of Sun Ra Transparency stuff I haven't listened to yet.

I really need to slow down, not so much from a money perspective as from a time perspective. But I can't seem to help that I have very broad tastes and like a lot of variety in the things I listen to. I used to worry a lot about not listening enough to each CD that I bought...now I don't keep track anymore and just allow myself to enjoy my collection when and how I am able to do so.

For me, it's the big sets. I bought a handful of the Membran 10-CD sets and I think I've only made it through about half of the Nat King Cole box and there are probably several of Louis Armstrong's I haven't gotten to yet. I have a 40-CD Mozart set and at best, I've only listened to about 1/3 of it. (I've owned it for years.) I have many Mosaic sets I've only heard once so at this point, it would be like I haven't listened to it yet because it all would probably sound new to me. I'm probably just as bad with DVDs because I can think of at least a couple dozen worth of discs I bought and haven't watched yet.

Edited by mikelz777

I'm much worse with DVDs than CDs. That said, there is a lot of my recent classical music splurges I haven't listened to. As I was preparing for the move, I came across at least 10 jazz CDs still in shrink-wrap (odd because I usually at least unwrap them). And several Mosaic sets where half the CDs are still wrapped. I will make a point of addressing that at least when they show up (should be Wed. that the delivery guys unload my boxes). On massive box set that I did get through was the Jazz in Paris box (back when it was only 75 CDs). I've listened to every CD at least twice -- I remember since this was a bit of a mission of mine while I was doing final revisions on my dissertation. Now whether it was quality listening is a different story. But honestly, most of my listening is basically background listening, which in itself begs the question of why I need so much variety...

A few months ago, I decided to cut down on CD purchases after finding several still-sealed items! A number of them had been acquired at very discounted prices. Not sure I needed them but at those prices, why not?

Now I stick my purchases for CDs I really want!

Me too. I realized that many OJCs/Concord RVGs/Keepnews Collection titles I bought at discount the last couple years I actually have little interest in. Then there's also the OCD thing I have about only seeing "quality" CDs on the shelf. I got bothered by seeing lots of sawcut copies of albums I didn't care for and sold them off. But I still wrestle with the quality-over-quantity dilemma which I find is something that is best sorted out in hindsight.

Just now listening to my latest acquisitions - Chuck's Eddie Johnson reissue (fabulous) and the Brian Lynch Unsung Masters discs (excellent so far) - only one month after I received them. When you hardly buy anymore, its a lot easier to get to what you do buy pretty quick. I'm certainly enjoying my daily commute with a lot of forgotten discs and old favorites.