Favorite Free Jazz/Avant Garde Box Sets

Two things I love are avant garde jazz and the box set. Avant garde jazz is the closest thing I've ever found in this world to the kind of beauty I can understand and connect to, while the format of the box set feeds my desire for a sense of narrative in the music I listen to. While this is not an exhaustive list, here are some of my favorite box sets covering avant garde jazz....I'd be curious to hear what others like most. For my list I'm focusing mostly on post-Coltrane/Ornette/Ayler free jazz...

1. Jimmy Lyons - The Box Set (Ayler Records) --Love the first couple discs especially on this one.

2. Anthony Braxton - Complete Arista Recordings (Mosaic) -- This set seemed to be an urban legend for several years and when it finally appeared it more than lived up to all the hype.

3. Bill Dixon - Odyssey (Self Released) -- This might be a more idiosyncratic choice...but I love solo trumpet music and no one was better at making it than Dixon.

4. 1967/68: The Art Ensemble (Nessa)-- It has been too long since I last listened to this one, but it is a wonderful document of a critical time period in the development of the Chicago school of free jazz...

5. Cecil Taylor -- Two Ts For A Lovely T (Condanza) --been too long since I heard this one too...

What say you?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are including Ornette and Ayler we have to include Coltrane and Miles...so it is hard to set proper boundaries in this thread...but for me I neither like nor want avant-garde box sets outside the classics...EXCEPT the recent FMP memorial which has a great book but is a bit uh pricey...and which I therefore don't yet own...

Oh wait I know - Iskra 1903 Chapter One (1970-72) - Rutherford/Bailey/Guy

Is it OK if I mention one I maybe no longer like quite so much? That's the Sam Rivers Blue Note Mosaic. Gave that a play over the last few days and...found myself wondering...

Somebody now mention the Andrew Hill Blue Note Mosaic and all boundaries between the avant-garde and the vaguely modernistic disappear entirely...

Oh and finally the only reason no-one mentions Coltrane is (a) he's a straight winner in the avant-garde category but (b) the classic quartet Impulse box is a dead loss. Which leaves us with the VV box as the sine qua non of the jazz avant-garde. TA-freakin'-DA.

Ornette on Atlantic is number one for me. I had most of the music before it came out, and already loved Ornette. But having the music in that form and format really deepened my appreciation.

The Nessa Art Ensemble box is also fabulous, of course.

I don't know if the Andrew Hill Mosaic qualifies as "avant garde," but I love it. The Sam Rivers Mosaic is up there too.

I also really like the live box set of the Brotzmann Chicago Tentet on Okka Disc. That was an exciting band.

I've enjoyed the Mosaic releases of the Henry Threadgill and Anthony Braxton Arista sessions.

Also:

Henry Threadgill set from Black Saint

The Thing - 3 cd compilation of their early work

Atomic box set

Sam Rivers Mosaic (3 cds box and Mosaic Select)

Sun Ra - The Singles 2 cd set on Evidence

Wildflowers set on Knitting Factory

My current listen, the 14 cd Sun Ra Transparency box set that just came out (volume 1!) is one of the most revealing sets I have ever heard. My mind and ears have been stretched by both pre WWII and "avant garde" music to know that this is a set that ties all the music together -- big band, latin, doo wop, etc. To listen or even prefer to one genre more than the other no longer makes sense to me.

Just off the top of my head:

Ornette Coleman, BEAUTY IS A RARE THING

Anthony Braxton, WILISAU and the Arista Mosaic

Various, WILDFLOWERS

John Carter-Bobby Bradford, MOSAIC SELECT (edit...thanks for the reminder, colinmce.)

Various artists, MESSAGE FROM THE TRIBE

I have the Threadgill Mosaic and love what I've heard of it so far, but only two discs in, so can't honestly rack it up yet as an all-time avant-garde box-set favorite... but I think it will land there once I've listened to the rest of it.

Edited by ghost of miles

I sure wish there were more boxes like the Albert Ayler and Jimmy Lyons ones ... so many figures that could benefit from this treatment, most notably (imo):

Marion Brown-- check his online discography ... TONS of unreleased sessions from a man so painfully underrepresented on record, especially in his prime

Sam Rivers-- we know the recent Select just scratches the surface of what's sitting around, both from his creative orchestras and the old trio

Horace Tapscott-- again, so, so many private tapes from a major artist who was rarely recorded

Bill Dixon-- Odyssey is there, but I'm sure there's much more. I'd say the same for him as for Tapscott: too rarely recorded.

Joe McPhee-- John Corbett has done great putting out early private recordings and gigs but I'd love to hear more from the late 70s and 80s.

Sunny Murray-- probably the Major Figure least acknowledged as such. An anthology of his career would do wonders in asserting his eminence.

Black Artist Group-- Mentioned about as often as AEC but not much original recordings to point to

And while there's certainly no shortage of their stuff on the market, I'd always welcome odds & ends boxes from Taylor, Lacy & Braxton-- gigs, rehearsals, speeches, etc. Also, why not an official Ornette bootleg series?

Sorry, I'll be back to reality in a minute ...

Document: New Music from Russia, the 80s [Leo Records] was a revelatory listen on its release and has proved worthy of revisiting over a long period now.

Yes, that is a classic. Along that line:

•Conspiracy. Excellent four CD box set on Leo of a Zurich festival featuring many of those documented on Document.

•Sergey Kuryokhin. Absolutely Great! (Leo). Seven CDs documenting Kuryokhin's trip to the Bay Area, mostly featuring solo piano and Pop Mechanics-style performances with U.S. musicians.

•The four Golden Years of the Soviet New Jazz 4-CD sets, while partly a shelf-clearing exercise, contain some fabulous music.