New (Unreleased) Studio + Live Wes Montgomery in March!

Eric

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard the new Wes Montgomery Cd featuring unreleased tracks from 1957-58.

Well worth the purchase.

Wes plays some straight Chicago type blues on the last track- improvisation

that to my knowledge he ever recorded anywhere else.

It alone is worth the purchase price.

The essays in the liner notes are also great.

Get this one when it is released March 6 (Wes' birthday)

• 2 weeks later...

So was the release right as scheduled? I'm assuming so and will continue to hope that the HANK MOBLEY comes out on time too. I keep checking Amazon for audio clips but no luck so far.

Different label. Listening to the Wes right now.

Edited by medjuck

So was the release right as scheduled? I'm assuming so and will continue to hope that the HANK MOBLEY comes out on time too. I keep checking Amazon for audio clips but no luck so far.

And?

D'OH!

How the hell did I get caught up in the belief that both of these were Uptown projects? Well I guess I'll have to work off the release date of the new Dexter. :blush: :blush: :blush:

And?

And it's good though the sound leaves something to be desired. I was just about to name "After Hours Blues" as "The Best Track I Heard This Week". The notes say "This may be the funkiest Wes Montgomery on record." Fron what I've heard there's no "may" about it.

Edited by medjuck

• 4 weeks later...

I posted this in another thread some time ago (which links back to another thread where it was first brought up)...

============================================================

What ever happened to this??

Does anybody know what specific "material by Andrew Hill and Wes Montgomery" was being readied??

This is from the Reissues forum:

I direct you to a recent interview w/ Cuscuna (http://www.openskyjazz.com/blog/?m=200905):

"The Blue Note Rudy Van Gelder series will continue to revisit more Blue Note classics. But the Blue Note vault is tapped out of releasable unissued material. That’s why we started what we call internally the discovery series, looking to outside sources for new discoveries. And we hit with a megaton bang starting it off with the Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall. Charles Mingus At Cornell, and Horace Silver at Newport 1958 followed. We have a killer Freddie Hubbard album Without a Song - Live in Europe coming in June. Freddie was thrilled with this music - he told me he thought it was some of his best playing ever captured on tape. He was going to do a lot of press for it but alas… We are working on material by Andrew Hill and Wes Montgomery next."

Hint, hint, hint...

Whatever became of the "Discovery" series??

Anybody know what Andrew Hill and/or Wes Montgomery recordings were being prepared for release, and is any of that still in the pipeline?

FWIW, Freddie's "Without a Song" came out in June '09.

There have been no "vault" releases from Blue Note in three years, due to some EMI decision that Cuscuna can't do anything about. But since the Montgomery now is coming out on Resonance with Cuscuna's involvement, it is probable that the Hill will follow later.

• 1 month later...

If you are in the D.C. area today...

Resonance Records announces a Wes Montgomery celebration on Saturday, May 12 at Joe's Record Paradise in Silver Spring, MD. Beginning at 2pm and open to the general public, the event will feature a 60-minute panel discussion on Montgomery and Echoes of Indiana Avenue, the newly unearthed, critically acclaimed album, as well as live performances.

Panelists include Larry Appelbaum (Library of Congress, JazzTimes, WPFW), Zev Feldman (Echoes of Indiana Avenue producer and Executive Vice President & General Manager of Resonance Records), Willard Jenkins (WPFW, Open Sky, Tri-C JazzFest Cleveland, author), guitar legend Pat Martino, and Robert Montgomery (Wes' son). Tom Cole (NPR, WPFW) will serve as panel moderator. Additionally, greater Washington D.C. area guitarist Jerry Gordon and his trio will perform two sets at the event.

"It gives me great pleasure to return to my hometown and share this music and story with the community," states Feldman. "We're also really grateful to Joe and Johnson Lee [founder & owners of Joe's Record Paradise] for allowing us to host this event at the store. Since its founding in 1974, the store has provided a foundation of music learning for countless music fans in the area, including myself. The barbershop-like shopping environment truly makes it an D.C. area institution."

With a lot of sleuthing and a team of experts on the case, long lost tapes of Wes Montgomery have been discovered and restored. Resonance Records released Echoes of Indiana Avenue - the first full album of previously unheard Montgomery music in over 25 years - on March 6, which would have been Montgomery's 89th birthday. Over a year and a half in the making, the release provides a rare, revealing glimpse of a bona fide guitar legend. The tapes are the earliest known recordings of Montgomery as a leader, pre-dating his auspicious 1959 debut on Riverside Records. The album showcases Montgomery in performance from 1957-1958 at nightclubs in his hometown of Indianapolis, Indiana, as well as rare studio recordings. The release is also beautifully packaged, containing previously unseen photographs and insightful essays by noted music writers and musicians alike, including guitarist Pat Martino and Montgomery's brothers Buddy and Monk.

Wes Montgomery Celebration -

Panel & Performances @ Joe's Record Paradise

Sunday, May 12 · 2pm

8216 Georgia Ave.

Silver Spring, MD 20910

*Free general admission. Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis.*

Fascinating presentation. Resonance records is a labor of love, run by people who clearly know and love the music. My hats off to them.

The topic of the Wes Montgomery date with the Coltrane quartet + Dolphy came up. We know they played at Monterey in 1961, but even though other concerts from this festival are in the archive at Stanford, a tape for Montgomery/Coltrane did not turn up. Refresh my memory - has a tape in fact ever surfaced?

Bertrand.

Not to my knowledge. This is a fascinating topic - David Wild wrote about it many years ago in the short-lived magazine about discographical questions, disc'ribe .....

If there was a copy, there sure would be plenty of bootleg issues around, that's for sure.

Yes, a Coltrane with Wes tape surfaced about 7 years ago or so, but still few have heard it. I haven't. Apparently, they were trying to sell it for CD issue for a hefty price and nobody would pay it, and partly because the sound quality is not supposed to be great.

I thought I remembered something along those lines. Do you know if it was from Monterey or elsewhere? Was it confirmed to definitely be Coltrane and Wes?

The speaker who mentioned it yesterday was either not aware of this or did not want to mention it.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

• 5 months later...

Just want to revisit this to say what a class act this recording is, not just the music but the reminiscences, the packaging, etc. I don't remember Wes sounding happier-I don't mean better, I mean happier-than being home here playing w/his brothers and buddies He's really down w/it, taking all kinds of chances, having a great time.. I always got the feeling that in his success years-that he worked so hard for and deserved-he was probably awfully homesick or anyway nostalgic. I remember Wes telling some interviewer in later years 'you know, I don't HAVE to play'. Maybe he meant if the stress and grind got to be too much, the hell with it. He could always go back home where those good times happened.

Edited by fasstrack