Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Probably how I did. . . with some French junior high school education and a dictionary. The direct and concise writing was helpful and impactful.

Agreed. Read it in French as part of a high school course (I forget which year, either soph. or sr.). The simple writing style is probably why it got assigned. But had to rely heavily on a dictionary.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Probably how I did. . . with some French junior high school education and a dictionary.

I had zero education in French. All English. I even had a French girlfriend when I was young and we spoke in English. I sometimes think now what an insult that must have been to her. My father masters French, but not me.

I had French when I was in the US State School in Addis Ababa, and at Waterford for a couple years in Swaziland. And I knew a few who spoke French in both countries. So I was pretty okay with it for a while, but have been not speaking or reading for quite a while.

Edited by jazzbo

12 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

Der Fremde.“ (Albert Camus) – Buch antiquarisch kaufen – A02uQtUV01ZZX

Otherwise known as L'Etranger. Yes, this one also belonged to my mother. Purchase date Sep. 1961. I believe this is where the idea for The Cure's Killing an arab comes from. I think I already read it, but like 40 years ago. So I'm rereading it.

That's one I've ordered from my regular bookshop as well. I'm a big Winslow fan and have read almost anything he's put out. But there's his debut from 1991, I think, which I can't get hold of. And I ordered it but it's OOP. I think it's called something like Underground. If anybody has a clue as to how to find it I'd be very grateful.

It was standard reading repertory at high school and anyway many of our wild gang nevertheless had a fondness to read, to read good books. I had the same edition "ro ro ro". 

About reading in French : 

I never had French at high school but if you know Romanian language you have a very easy access to at least reading in French. That´s how I managed to read the original French version of Francis Paudras "Le Danse des Infidéles" . 

My wife also reads and understands French well for the same reasons, but though she had French at school, when the "profesoara de limba franceză" came into the classroom she said "anybody can do now what he/she want´s"  (maybe a boycott because  western european languages meant that you might listen to "forbidden" radio stations...:rolleyes:., not a single word in french was spoken in the classroom:lol:

On the other hand, since my mother in law was transsilvanian-hungarian origine I learned some Hungarian much to here pleasure. I never got perfect and have forgotten a lot, but she gave me  Albert Camus´  "L´Etranger" in Hungarian language, hard to read for one who is happy if he at least can make some very simple hungarian discussion, but since I knew the content of the  book I managed to get thru (the hungarian title is "Közöny" ) 

I understand French so so, and I even have some books in French, but the truth is it's very hard to understand if you've never studied it. Yes with the help of other Roman languages you can manage, but not me. BUT I understand and can read Italian and Portuguese/Brazilian quite well, though I never studied them.

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Le Carrie’s one non espionage book, written between A Small Town in Germany and Tinker Tailor. 

9F4EF69D-9414-4BCD-BA6B-8E00FA710F54.jpeg

You know, I've read just about everything he wrote, but I haven't read that. Do you recommend it?

1 hour ago, BillF said:

You know, I've read just about everything he wrote, but I haven't read that. Do you recommend it?

I’ve only started it so will let you know. The book wasn’t well received by the critics but in the foreword he states that the central theme in this book and the Smiley books are the same: the conflict between “institutional commitment and unattainable hopes,” i.e., dreams vs reality. 

Edited by Brad

On 5/24/2022 at 11:50 AM, Bluesnik said:

Der Fremde.“ (Albert Camus) – Buch antiquarisch kaufen – A02uQtUV01ZZX

Otherwise known as L'Etranger. Yes, this one also belonged to my mother. Purchase date Sep. 1961. I believe this is where the idea for The Cure's Killing an arab comes from. I think I already read it, but like 40 years ago. So I'm rereading it.

That's one I've ordered from my regular bookshop as well. I'm a big Winslow fan and have read almost anything he's put out. But there's his debut from 1991, I think, which I can't get hold of. And I ordered it but it's OOP. I think it's called something like Underground. If anybody has a clue as to how to find it I'd be very grateful.

Just heard Winslow speak & read at the Santa Fe literary festival. He was excellent.

THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM COLD: John le Carré (Penguin Modern Classics) : LE  CARRE, JOHN: Libros - Amazon

And enjoying it mightily. It's about the Cold War, something I know well. Because I lived through it. And I'd been to Berlin when there still was the wall. So I passed Checkpoint Charlie when it was still in operation. Not a tourist trap like now. And I remember a big notice stating You are now leaving the American sector.

Edited by Bluesnik

On 6/6/2022 at 5:47 PM, Bluesnik said:

THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM COLD: John le Carré (Penguin Modern Classics) : LE  CARRE, JOHN: Libros - Amazon

And enjoying it mightily. It's about the Cold War, something I know well. Because I lived through it. And I'd been to Berlin when there still was the wall. So I passed Checkpoint Charlie when it was still in operation. Not a tourist trap like now. And I remember a big notice stating You are now leaving the American sector.

After you read that, you might want to try A Legacy of Spies. It’s a follow to The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. 

On 07/06/2022 at 3:33 AM, Dub Modal said:

Up Jumped the Devil about Robert Johnson. If you like music, you should read this book. 

I like music but only have a passing knowledge of Blues history or music theory. I fancy this book from a historical perspective. Is it for me would you say? 

3 hours ago, Brad said:

After you read that, you might want to try A Legacy of Spies. It’s a follow to The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. 

I have Legacy of Spies, but haven't read it still. And I didn't know it had something to do with the other book. I thought it was just his closing of the whole spy world.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I like music but only have a passing knowledge of Blues history or music theory. I fancy this book from a historical perspective. Is it for me would you say? 

Not much music theory at all in this book. They do talk a little about chords and Robert’s playing, but mainly to highlight how sophisticated his playing was, which is a testament to Johnson’s work ethic and wood shedding. The authors did yeoman’s work to sketch an accurate depiction of his life and love of music beyond well trodden and unfortunate myths. I’m not well versed in blues history either but again, not needed. The blues history here is related to his life and weaves in nicely to the overall bio for any dedicated or casually interested person to enjoy. I hope that helps. :tup

Edited by Dub Modal

10 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Not much music theory at all in this book. They do talk a little about chords and Robert’s playing, but mainly to highlight how sophisticated his playing was, which is a testament to Johnson’s work ethic and wood shedding. The authors did yeoman’s work to sketch an accurate depiction of his life and love of music beyond well trodden and unfortunate myths. I’m not well versed in blues history either but again, not needed. The blues history here is related to his life and weaves in nicely to the overall bio for any dedicated or casually interested person to enjoy. I hope that helps. :tup

That helps, thanks. On the 'to buy' list it goes