Clifford Jordan: Any Love?

fasstrack

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to this thread, I've now ordered about $90 worth of Jordan as a leader, Jordan as a sideman dates. Help!

Step away from the credit card, sir!

Actually some $19 of that total was from a four-album compilation of early 1960s Coleman Hawkins material:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BLQVKJM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000040OHJ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0JCHYBYABA1KXYMMZX7X

that was spurred by this interesting set of recommendations from Grant Stewart:

http://jazztimes.com/articles/76359-artist-s-choice-grant-stewart-on-big-tenor-sounds

http://jazztimes.com/articles/76359-artist-s-choice-grant-stewart-on-big-tenor-sounds

Nice article; this would make a good mix tape! I love this observation:

"Dexter’s always been a favorite, and here’s a great example of his giant sound at full power. It’s also a good example of jazz rocking harder than rock music."

Already mentioned, but ROYAL BALLADS on Criss Cross merits another recommendation... the presence of Vernell Fournier helps make this an exceptional date...

Just checked it out on Spotify, sounds great; Vernell is fabulous; bassist Ed Howard and pianist Kevin O'Connell, a new name to me, are really in there, too. Reaching for the credit card again.

Nice article; this would make a good mix tape! I love this observation:

"Dexter’s always been a favorite, and here’s a great example of his giant sound at full power. It’s also a good example of jazz rocking harder than rock music."

Another example is "No Tonic Pres" off Rip, Rig & Panic.

Already mentioned, but ROYAL BALLADS on Criss Cross merits another recommendation... the presence of Vernell Fournier helps make this an exceptional date...

Just checked it out on Spotify, sounds great; Vernell is fabulous; bassist Ed Howard and pianist Kevin O'Connell, a new name to me, are really in there, too. Reaching for the credit card again.

Armando from this set is a favorite of mine.

As mentioned above The Adventurer is great also along with Glass Bead Games and The Night of the MarkVII

The Pentagon by Cedar Walton has some very nice Jordan, too.

095029.jpg

Firm Roots is another favorite of mine that I must mention.

1787041.jpg

Edited by marcello

I got mine for a lot less than that, a few decades ago, but yeah, I think it's that good, as does the marketplace, apparently, at least to some extent.

My buddy Lyles, who used to run with Clifford a few minutes back in the day swears that this is Jordan's self-proclaimed own favorite album. I can see why, too.

Is it really that hard to find? That's unfortunate.

But yes, spend the money even if you only almost can spare it. It is that unique and special of an album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS0FQE3J7v0

Edited by JSngry

IN THE WORLD is a must, as is its sort-of bookending STARTING TIME, the date with Dorham from 1961, the period during which, IMO, KD was playing at his best / most creative and accomplished. The rhythm section is Cedar Walton, Wilbur Ware and Tootie Heath, and the program features early / alternate versions of "Sunrise in Mexico" and "Windmill" from KD's WHISTLE STOP as well as Walton's "Mosaic." The band never really stretches out all that much; instead, they opt for a certain focus... maybe its more of a composer's than player's record? Whatever the case, worth hunting down. Last available in the States as part of a Fantasy 2fer, paired with Sonny Red's A STORY TALE, featuring Jordan with Ronnie Matthews and Elvin Jones

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to this thread I pushed myself over the edge finally, spending big bucks (33 eurozlotys) on a new copy of the Japanese reissue of "In the World" ... I'd heard it before, but damn this is good! Might indeed be my favorite Jordan, all things considered! I guess the Mingus experience did open up a few things for him, after all, though he always sounds like he was the most conservative member of that band -- well, that's after Johnny Coles was out ... the sextet is different than the quintet, I think ... and Jordan plays some great sh*t, don't get me wrong!

Anyway, the band on "In the World" is one of the best he ever led ... love Priester and the twin basses and well, love everything about this album! Great to hear Kelly outside his comfort zone, too. This music goes straight to the guts yet there's lots of food for the mind, too.