Clifford Jordan: Any Love?

fasstrack

Clifford Jordan has been gone 20 years now, and I hardly hear his name mentioned these days. Talk about overlooked masters....

I had an opportunity to play with him once, by a fluke. Wish it were more. So let's call this a tribute thread. Favorite recordings? Stories? Give testimony.....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's one where if he's on it, I'll check it out. I certainly need more but really enjoy what I have. Blowing In From Chicago and The Highest Mountain are favorites. One of the great examples of a player evolving with the times.

I wish someone would collect all the Magic Triangle recordings in one package.

I've enjoyed the albums I've picked up over the years including The Glass Bead Game, Spellbound, Live At Ethel's, the latter on the Mapleshade label. I bought the Music Matters Cliff Craft lp last year so I've been getting into that one more recently. I never saw him perform but he was a solid player imo.

A direct to disc Clifford Jordan LP, Hello Hank Jones, has amazingly vivid sound.

Agreed!

I know that some folks have issues with the Mapleshade label's ethics, but for those who aren't boycotting them, they have issued Jordan on CD in a wide variety of settings. Live at Ethell's is a fine performance, and is perhaps the most realistic-sounding jazz recording I've ever heard. His album with Ran Blake, Masters From Different Worlds, is unlike anything else he recorded.

Early fave - Blowin' In

Late faves - Masters from Different Worlds and The Mellow Side of Clifford Jordan

I've told this story before, but it probably bears repeating:

About 25 years ago, Clifford Jordan was playing a concert in Poughkeepsie, NY. I guess money to put on the concert was tight because although he brought his own bass player, the drummer was local (I believe it was the guy who financed the concert) and the pianist was a guy who played piano on the side (someone told me that he was an IBM engineer.). At one point, Clifford Jordan called a standard. The pianist was unfamiliar with it and read the chords from sheet music on the piano. The bassist was unfamiliar with it also and was reading the music from the other side of the piano. When they finished the tune, Clifford Jordan announced that he had advised the bassist to stop reading.

Mr. Jordan's comment: "I told him that he could hear better than he could read upside down," got a big laugh.

These Are My Roots was already mentioned. I like it b/c it was a little off the beaten track with Leadbelly tunes (it was traditional blues-themed) and a bigger group sometimes. Weird choice for banjo: Chuck Wayne.

Then there's Remembering Me-Me, also with a larger ensemble and featuring on one tune Chris Anderson---on Fender Rhodes!

And his many performances with Mingus, particularly "Right Now" (Fantasy)

There's a video out there of a Mingus performance---sorry, don't remember where or when. Clifford Jordan, Dolphy, Jaki Byard were on it. Don't remember the trumpet player. Johnny Coles? Anyway Mingus is purposely throwing rocks in the soloists' paths, playing little rhythmic games, etc., making it hard to play ---and encouraging Danny Richmond to do so too. Dolphy just breezes through it like a walk in the park. Clifford Jordan, though, looks utterly disgusted in one close-up---head down, looking like he'd rather be anywhere else. Looks like he aged about 20 years.

Oh, the trials of Mingus sidemen....

Edited by fasstrack

Clifford Jordan has been gone 20 years now, and I hardly hear his name mentioned these days. Talk about overlooked masters....

I had an opportunity to play with him once, by a fluke. Wish it were more. So let's call this a tribute thread. Favorite recordings? Stories? Give testimony.....

Always dug his playing, and his beautiful and distinctive tone.

Some favorites...

Spellbound (Riverside)

Bearcat (Jazzland)

Royal Ballads; Two Tenor Winner (Criss Cross)

The Adventurer (Muse)

Cliff Craft; Blowing In From Chicago (BN)

Live At Ethell's (Mapleshade)

Repetition (Soul Note)

Expoobident; Here's Lee Morgan (Vee Jay)

A Story Tale (Jazzland, with Sonny Red)

More good CJ discussion here: