Duke Ellington Columbia & Okeh recordings ('27 to '30)

RiRiIII

I know there is an early 2cd set by CBS/Sony containing these early Duke recordings made for Columbia and Okeh from 1927 to 1930.

http://www.amazon.com/Okeh-Ellington-Duke/dp/B00000274L

but the transfers leave a lot to be desired.

Are there any other subsequent relases on CD that are satisfactory?

Many thanks!

Alex.-

I think not legally in the US. And I think this set doesn't include everything controlled by Sony.

You mean the Chronological (*) series (approx. 8 cds for the period in question and not only the Columbias; 44 cds (!!) in total) and Jazz Masters cds I suppose; most of these go for crazy prices nowadays...

A huge gap then... we have for main early Duke on CD,

-the Vocalion/Brunswick (pre '32) in that 3-cd set recently reissued by Universal Italy,

-the Victor sides in the RCA 100th anniv. set,

-the Columbia/Brunswick etc. sides 1932-40 in the great Mosaic set (great transfers)

and Sony who has not yet managed to compile a comprehensive set of the labels they control for the pre-32 recordings... so dissapointing...

(*) http://dukeontheweb.com/Liste%20antho.htm

Edited by Alexandros

I wonder if Mosaic might ever tackle the late 1920s Ellington sides--at least the ones that are currently under Universal and Sony control.

Well, that would be about all of them, wouldn't it? Universal and Sony together control all the Brunswicks, Sony has the Victors and the Okehs. What's left?

gregmo

the CD reissue I was referring to was the official, Sony; the one attached to that link on Amazon.

OK, thanks. If I remember correctly you mentioned in another thread some time ago that they didn't use noise reduction or at least no digital noise reduction, but something else to reduce the noise, or am I wrong?

I wonder if Mosaic might ever tackle the late 1920s Ellington sides--at least the ones that are currently under Universal and Sony control.

Well, that would be about all of them, wouldn't it? Universal and Sony together control all the Brunswicks, Sony has the Victors and the Okehs. What's left?

gregmo

... and the Columbias belong to Sony as well. All set!

gregmo

There's the Durium, Cameo and Plaza recordings. (There may be more.) Someone on this Forum gave a complete listing and said-- IIRC-- that they were controlled by Sony. Unfortunately I've searched but can't find the thread.

Also Pathe.

Who on earth controls those?!

gregmo

As far as I know American Pathé Records became part of ARC, which is now owned by Sony. European Pathé was owned by EMI, so I guess it's now part of Universal; I don't think it was sold to Warner like EMI Classics, Virgin Classics and Parlophone.

Edited by J.A.W.

JAW: as far as I can determine, on those Sony Dukes, they used CEDAR only, for de-click and decrackle; they are very quiet, but the highs are still quite retrieveable; and masters like the ones they apparently used are almost always very quiet.

as for the way they eq'd them for the CD - very variable and problematic; too much roll off, non-knowledgable engineers, in terms of the sonics. But the sound is all there.

Edited by AllenLowe

JAW: as far as I can determine, on those Sony Dukes, they used CEDAR only, for de-click and decrackle; they are very quiet, but the highs are still quite retrieveable; and masters like the ones they apparently used are almost always very quiet.

as for the way they eq'd them for the CD - very variable and problematic; too much roll off, non-knowledgable engineers, in terms of the sonics. But the sound is all there.

Thanks Allen, very informative.

gregmo

There's the Durium, Cameo and Plaza recordings. (There may be more.) Someone on this Forum gave a complete listing and said-- IIRC-- that they were controlled by Sony. Unfortunately I've searched but can't find the thread.

Cameo and Plaza were two of the labels that amalgamated (with Pathe US) to form ARC, so those are Sony owned. But Durium? I thought it was an Italian fifties label.

MG

Someone smarter than me (virtually anyone on this board) might try searching for the earlier post that gave full details of every cut not included in the 2 Disk sony release.

For a listing of what's is on CD or not go to this discussion.

Ellington 1930s big-band Mosaic

post 88

Edited by Stompy Jones

• 3 weeks later...

gregmo

Cameo and Plaza were two of the labels that amalgamated (with Pathe US) to form ARC, so those are Sony owned. But Durium? I thought it was an Italian fifties label.

MG

Durium was the company that issued 'Hit Of The Week' records

gregmo

MG

Durium was the company that issued 'Hit Of The Week' records

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks.

So, which company owned it back in the day?

MG

MG