Update from Mosaic about Clifford Jordan and other new releases

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did it ever strike anyone that a sixties jazz record with that title is a real odd thing? What did it mean to say? L'art pour l'art as opposed to the militant activists of the civil rights movement? And then this same guy has his own label and stuff at the same time, taking control of his work? I find it a really puzzling reference - to a great but ultimately failed book.

Anyway, I recently got hold of a nice japanese mini-LP edition of "Clifford Jordan in the World" and that's one hell of a great album! At this time it's hands down my favourite by Jordan!

Checking out his discography here:

http://www.cliffordjordan.com/discography_63_72.html

and here:

http://www.cliffordjordan.com/discography_73_77.html

These are the Strata East albums listed:

Charles Tolliver - Music Inc (1971)

Clifford Jordan - In the World (1972)

Jazz Contemporaries (Keno Duke) - Reasons in Tonality (1972)

Muriel Winston - A Fresh Viewpont (1974)

Clifford Jordan - Glass Bead Games (1974)

Colors (The Brass Company) (1975)

Charles Tolliver - Impact (1975)

Pure speculation, but I would imagine that they wouldn't duplicate any of the Tolliver that already came out on Mosaic. That would cover at least Music Inc. and Impact.

I have Glass Bead Games and In the World, so I would have to find out what else is actually on there, but I might be part of the target market for this set.

Edited by ejp626

"The Dolphy Series" -- holy crap! Whole BUNCH of dates there I've been curious about for eons. I don't think I've heard any of them, save for Jordan's two Strata East leader-dates ("In The World" is really amazing -- and I think "Glass Bead Games" is one of the finest sax + piano trio dates I know).

I'll pre-order this one for sure! -- Tom

PS: Kinda wish it had included Jordan's 70's Muse leader-dates, but how can I be disappointed with any Mosaic that includes that much Strata East material.

Pure speculation, but I would imagine that they wouldn't duplicate any of the Tolliver that already came out on Mosaic. That would cover at least Music Inc. and Impact.

Well, considering the update, the list I put up above (which would only fill 4 or maybe 5 discs anyway) is outdated and it seems sideman-sessions not included. But I'm really looking forward to getting proper editions of the Payne and Brackeen albums!

Since Ware is mentioned ... that means the CD that the Wilbur Ware Institute put out recently will be included as well, I assume?

"The Dolphy Series" -- holy crap! Whole BUNCH of dates there I've been curious about for eons. I don't think I've heard any of them, save for Jordan's two Strata East leader-dates ("In The World" is really amazing -- and I think "Glass Bead Games" is one of the finest sax + piano trio dates I know).

I'll pre-order this one for sure! -- Tom

PS: Kinda wish it had included Jordan's 70's Muse leader-dates, but how can I be disappointed with any Mosaic that includes that much Strata East material.

I've always found his Muse leader dates a disappointment overall. Ambitious but under-rehearsed, which was not unusual for Muse. There are some nice cuts, but the albums tend to be spotty. The Steeplechase dates are stronger. Night of the Mark 7 is a strong Muse date. The Strata-East stuff is nice. I am very excited for the box, but quite disappointed that "Reasons in Tonality" is not making it to CD. Jordan and George Coleman burn on that one, and it's nice to hear Julius Watkins stretch out.

Well, considering the update, the list I put up above (which would only fill 4 or maybe 5 discs anyway) is outdated and it seems sideman-sessions not included. But I'm really looking forward to getting proper editions of the Payne and Brackeen albums!

Since Ware is mentioned ... that means the CD that the Wilbur Ware Institute put out recently will be included as well, I assume?

Yes.

Mark VII is among the best!

But yeah, I also love what I've heard of the Steeplechase stuff (baffled me a bit to read all about the Bob Berg 'chases in the obits here, rather than about the Cliff Jordan ones! My preference is clearly for the earlier ones w/Jordan!), despite the rough sound -- "Half Note", for one, sounds like someone had a tape recorder hidden out in the wardrobe - but the music's darn good!

And thanks, David!

Last clarification question (assuming your just posted "yes" was the answer only to the Ware question and not to this question as well): sideman dates will not be included, none of them?

Wow, very cool news about Jordan!

Most interesting . I love CJ

Me too, but I suspect I already have much of it ie Clifford Jordan's "Glass Bead Games" and "In The World" plus Cecil Payne's "Zodiac", Charles Brackeen's "Rhythm X" and Wilbur Ware's "Super Bass".

What else will be on it?

Still, it's tempting.....

Edited by Head Man

Even if I already had half or more of this material, I'm sure I'd order one -- just to be supportive of Mosaic dipping into the 70's (or really late 60's -- on a label associated with the 70's).

I think I had nearly every one of Woody Shaw's Muse dates, but I still jumped on that one as a pre-order. Didn't hurt that what I did have of those was on those crazy 32Jazz releases (some of which was in packaging that I like even less than digipaks!) -- still I'm thrilled that Mosaic is starting to work on 70's and "70's-ish" (or is it "70's-esque"?) material. :rlol

KU--I think all of the discographical info will be up on the Mosaic site pretty soon, but in addition to the leader dates, ZODIAC, RHYTHM X, and SUPER BASS, it will also include Pharoah Sanders' IZIPHO ZAM and Ed Blackwell's SHADES OF EDWARD BLACKWELL (w/Don Cherry and Wilbur Ware, previously unreleased).

Even if I already had half or more of this material, I'm sure I'd order one -- just to be supportive of Mosaic dipping into the 70's (or really late 60's -- on a label associated with the 70's).

I think I had nearly every one of Woody Shaw's Muse dates, but I still jumped on that one as a pre-order. Didn't hurt that what I did have of those was on those crazy 32Jazz releases (some of which was in packaging that I like even less than digipaks!) -- still I'm thrilled that Mosaic is starting to work on 70's and "70's-ish" (or is it "70's-esque"?) material. :rlol

Thar's gold in them thar 70s!!

The only album I have is Glass Bead Games, which, as I indicated earlier, is not one of my favourite Clifford Jordan albums. I may have had one or two of the other released albums in my LP days, but I don't remember any of them. Just listened to audio samples of the Sanders on AMG and was confirmed in my not-so-positive feelings regarding his music. As for the others, I'll wait until audio samples appear on the Mosaic site and try and get an impression then.

I'm falling behind with new Mosaics anyway.

Wilbur Ware Institute = Ware's & Jordan's widows (as I understand it), so maybe it's all good in that regard, money will go where money should go. One would hope.

And I'm not Japanese, nor do I do the canvas shopping bag scene, but In the World, yeah, that's the bulldog's ox, or whatever the phrase is. Glass Bead Games has never really struck a strong chord with me, though (minorityship here fully stipulated). But oh well.

This gonna be one hellagood (is that how they say it?) set. Sorry about no Muriel Winstone, but ain't no living in a perfect world (as they say). That ain't a perfect record, or even a necessarily good one. But it's good some Tadd Dameron pop songs, and it's got Clifford Jordan, so. consider the notification posted (in the vernacular).