Horace Silver 1928-2014

Mike Schwartz

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horace Silver Memorial Broadcast: Wednesday June 18 at 8pm

Starting at 8pm on Wednesday, June 18 and ending at midnight on the night of Thursday, June 19, WKCR will be preempting all regular programming to honor the life and work of jazz pianist Horace Silver, who passed away this Wednesday, June 18 at the age of 85 years. Stay tuned also for weekend jazz programming, which will also focus on the work of Horace Silver.

R.I.P for a wonderful man and musician. Would we even have the "Blue Note sound" without Horace? So many great tunes. So much that was catchy and simply joyful. Your music will always live with me.

My feelings exactly.

Mine too. I love Horace.

this is a big blow to me personally, what it is and what it represents. it really is over. I have an autographed picture (real), it means a lot. I think the HS lp thats been doin it for me the most rt now is Cape Verdean Blues. But to pay tribute the best, I really should dig out the iconic HS & The Jazz Messengers on Lexington Ave. label...the one that "started it all"

--------

*need to note here the NY Times piece i read at 730 tonite spoke of Benny Maupin playing on HS lp: "Six Pieces of Silver". the auth. was peter keepnews (keepnews's boy) need to get this fixed before print, cant find his email

Edited by chewy

RIP. I really dug a lot of his early and mid-career BNs. Not as familiar with the later material, though I do have In Pursuit of the 27th Man.

Almost all my CDs are boxed up, waiting for the moving van, but I did find a loose copy of the Bohemia After Dark album, so I put that on.

something i look over compared to his own music....is Silver the songwriter, SO many other artists have covered his songs, theres full albums of horace music by other artists, like shirley scott on prestige and the mastersounds on world pacific, amongst others. he must of been so widely regarded, his songs became instant standards, it really is amazing, you dont see that much crossover in jazz like that like with a blue note artists material being covered SO frequently....

Edited by chewy

There was a time when Ilistened to his music every day, and it gave me joy and peace. To me, his tunes always were one of several ideal incarnations of what jazz is, at its core. Many thanks for the music, and R.I.P.

Edited by mikeweil

I put Blowing The Blues Away on the turntable this morning, and Sister Sadie had me groovin' like always, that staccatto blast of horns near the end, wow! 'Joy and Peace' would have been a perfect title for that album. I remember flying out of Newark Airport years ago and I had a mix tape playing 'The African Queen' just as we crossed the Hudson River and circled above Manhattan, one of those perfect moments.

R.I.P. Horace. What a legacy! AND - one to foster new talent in his bands from Carmell Jones to Tom Harrell and Bob Berg. Silver's music attracted my ear early on - the great voicings/harmonies, unique melodies, great piano playing, excellent ensembles, and a sort of hipness missing in today's music. "African Queen" for me is a great example of SOUL MUSIC! Thankful to hear his group in the early 1980's in Cleveland, OH.

Yes, Cecil did cite him as an influence. I believe - though I'm not positive & the book is not in front of me - that he's quoted as such in the Spellman book.

It is strange that I didn't listen to him as much as I did some of his brethren over the years. Though obviously his compositions were recorded by many people I spent more time with, clearly some rectification needs to happen.