Thelonious Monk Late Black Lion Recordings, Post-Columbia

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like them a lot. Monk was awake, alert and energetic. And the rhythm section: Al McKibbon and Art Blakey. C'mon! There were 2 LPs, released in very crackly editions in the U.S.: Something In Blue and The Man I Love. The albums mixed solo tracks with trio tracks. Black Lion subsequently released the entire session in 3 CDs, now unfortunately hard to find.

I found a thread about this topic on the allaboutjazz forum, oddly enough, started by me: http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/archive/index.php/t-5858.html

Edited by mjzee

CD-R alert. I ordered the 24bit remasters a while ago through amazon.de. One of the discs was a CD-R. The other two volumes were still shrink-wrapped when I returned all three volumes for a refund.

51_nw_Dte_Vf_L.jpg51_FUj9t83_WL.jpg

as there seems to float different versions of these rereleases, could you describe how the cd(=cd-r) looks like btw which indicators made you detecting the cd-r status ?

I'm surprised you have 90 % of Monk's commercially released stuff and have never heard these. For me they are a deal better than his later Colombia efforts. As another poster said, Monk seems energised. Look at the choice of material, he hadn't played Trinkle Tinkle in years and yet he comes back to it with great zest. These were some of the first Monk recordings I got hold of when my Monk obsession started. Sound quality is generally excellent if you get the Black Lion cd's. I spotted a Mosaic box set in Disk Union here not long ago and was tempted. Monk puts a fair amount of stride inflection into these sides and it kind of brings him full circle, back to his Harlem roots plus a lifetime 'being just Monk'. Solid gold in my book.

Monk played very much stride on the solo. The stride version of Trinkle Tinkle is fantastic ! Anyway a hard tune, and then even with stride ....

It was recorded during the same time when the Giants of Jazz played in London. I also like very much Monk´s playing with the Giants.

The latest Monk I heard was 1975 at the Lincoln Center.

I'm surprised you have 90 % of Monk's commercially released stuff and have never heard these. F

My listening is based on what I encounter. This is where I am today.

Surely you 'encountered' reports of these recordings, they aren't exactly obscure.

Monk played very much stride on the solo. The stride version of Trinkle Tinkle is fantastic ! Anyway a hard tune, and then even with stride ....

It was recorded during the same time when the Giants of Jazz played in London. I also like very much Monk´s playing with the Giants.

The latest Monk I heard was 1975 at the Lincoln Center.

I've never owned any of the Black Lion discs, but saw the Giants of Jazz in London. This morning I revisited the show preserved here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUVuX3lLrdg

as there seems to float different versions of these rereleases, could you describe how the cd(=cd-r) looks like btw which indicators made you detecting the cd-r status ?

Happens more and more often, both from labels (sold out CDs, instead of having the entire catalogue OOP they opt for CD-Rs) or from Amazon (I just got one of Nimbus' Benny Carter four disc sets from amazon.de and it was CD-R, although the description says but "Audio CD") ... also bought CD-Rs from small classical labels, in one case they just told me it was a CD when I wrote to them to inquire ... ha! Not sure why folks that depend to at least some part on sales of this want to fool customers ... anyway, this might help some:

http://www.discogs.com/help/database/submission-guidelines-release-format#CD_Versus_CDr

Edited by king ubu

I'm surprised you have 90 % of Monk's commercially released stuff and have never heard these. F

My listening is based on what I encounter. This is where I am today.

Surely you 'encountered' reports of these recordings, they aren't exactly obscure.

I have not, so I though it would be appropriate to inquire about them on a jazz-focused message board of which I am a member. I have a room full of LPs and CDs, and I can't know everything. Thanks for understanding.

Edited by Teasing the Korean