Frank Strazzeri R.I.P.

Peter Friedman

It seems that the fact that jazz pianist, composer and arranger Frank Strazzeri passed away very recently was missed here.

Though Strazzeri never became a well known name in jazz, he was a damn fine player who also wrote a number of interesting tunes.

Frank was originally from western New York state in the Rochester/Buffalo area. However he spent the majority of his career on the West Coast in the L.A. region.

He recorded as leader quite a few times and many more as a sideman. His trio sessions on

Discovery and Fresh Sound are particular favorites of mine. In fact, along with Carl Perkins,

and Hampton Hawes, I consider Frank Strazzeri to be one of my 3 favorite jazz pianists

on the West Coast.

Everything I've heard from him I've liked a lot. Among other things, he had a great ear for good pieces (by Mobley and others -- "Funk in a Deep Freeze," Rollins' "No Moe," Benny Carter's "Summer Serenade," J. J. Johnson's "Kelo" -- that were seldom if ever played in trio settings. Also, when he played anything, he played that piece, improvising on the melody, not just the changes.

Given his longstanding West Coast presence, it's surprising, sad and disappointing that his death hasn't received much more attention. Coincidentally, I looked at my online history and found out that I had googled Frank Strazzeri on the 9th, which is the day that he died. I find it comforting somehow that I was thinking of him on that day.

The great thing about the Carmell Jones Mosaic Select is that it documents the work of three underrated masters- Jones, Harold Land and Strazzeri. One of the albums it contains actually would have been Strazzeri's debut as a leader had it been released at the time. I am a fan of his Frank's Blues, which also has some fine work by the late Sam Most on a program that includes some Strazzeri originals and other under-the-radar songs. I also enjoy Syrazzeri's work on guitarist Ron Anthony's Same Time, Same Place, which also has Conte Candoli, Andy Simpkins and Dick Berk.

I wish that he had been documented more in his last decade, but I look forward to exploring more of his work. Thanks for the music, Mr. Strazzeri.

EDIT: One of his West Coast colleagues, trombonist Steve Johnson, has posted about Strazzeri's passing on his blog.

Edited by Justin V

Here's a taped interview with Frank:

http://contentdm6.hamilton.edu/cdm/ref/collection/jazz/id/1303

Also, I recall reading that he was Elvis Presley's favorite pianist in Elvis' Las Vegas days, which led to some nice pay days.

Anecdotes about Frank and Chet Baker and Frank and Elvis:

http://www.chetbaker.net/vol3no4.htm

re: Elvis; Strazzeri tells a story somewhere of playing on tour and mentioning to Elvis at a party that he was interested in Karate; Elvis went and changed into his karate uniform; later he slipped $300 under Strazzeri's hotel door, and apparently every time after this that they would talk Elvis would give him some cash afterwards.

And indeed that's some very good music in the Carmell Jones Select!

dd256db3b4.jpg

another goodie featured in the "Select".....

This is not included in the Carmell Jones Mosaic Select.

thnx for checking......obviously i was thinking about the CURTIS AMY Mosaic Select......

Strazzeri was at his coherent best on the unheralded 1991 trio date 'Funk & Esoteric' brillantly recorded in LA for Fresh Sound

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/funk_and_esoteric-cd-1143.html

A gem, for sure. And what a nice selection of pieces. Only slight drawback IIRC is that John Heard's bass is picked up in a rather boomy manner.

I saw him with a group in Toluca Lake several years ago. Took my father-in-law who had heard a lot of jazz as a youth but hadn't gone to a club in 30 years. Told me he used to see a child prodigy named Victor Feldman. We both had a good time listening to Strazzeri.

Strazzeri was at his coherent best on the unheralded 1991 trio date 'Funk & Esoteric' brillantly recorded in LA for Fresh Sound

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/funk_and_esoteric-cd-1143.html

A gem, for sure. And what a nice selection of pieces. Only slight drawback IIRC is that John Heard's bass is picked up in a rather boomy manner.

sounds like this being a consensus "must buy" !?!

Edited by soulpope