B.B. King - R.I.P. (1925 - 2015)

Shawn

I say without shame or embarrassment that when I got in the car I put in a comp I had put together and listened to "We're Gonna Make It" (from a concert in the 90s) and started bawling. And next on the comp. was Maria Muldauer's "He Don't Have the Blues Anymore" and I started bawling again.

Words can't express how I feel about B.B. King, the man or the music.

It's a little sad to think that future generations will only be able to experience B.B. King through records and YouTube. But I'm thankful that he was once among us. RIP B.B. King

This.

I saw BB a few times, in varying venues playing to different audiences. Sometime his show would begin earlier than others, :) but it was always killer.

And from all I've heard, he was a supremely ethical business man, had his band on salary with full benefits, health insurance, retirement plan, and all that. When you did the B.b. King gig, you were not just doing a few one-nighters and paying your way as you went along.

The last time I saw him, him and Bobby Bland were doing a show at the Meyerson (sic). Brenda wanted to go, and I told her that we needed to take the kids too, they needed to see these men in the flesh, put faces, and most importantly, actions to the names, because those are names and sounds they're going to be experiencing in some for or fashion for many year to come. They were both totally enthralled, and both still remember the concert to this day.

Lots of people are called "giants", but few truly are. B.B. King was a gaint, and you don't kill a giant, they don't die, they just move on to the next phase.

RIP to a genuine giant.

It's a little sad to think that future generations will only be able to experience B.B. King through records and YouTube. But I'm thankful that he was once among us. RIP B.B. King

Lots of people are called "giants", but few truly are. B.B. King was a gaint, and you don't kill a giant, they don't die, they just move on to the next phase.

RIP to a genuine giant.

57296dc39644c5120a088ac38e4d0319.jpg

I saw him many times in the 1970s and 1980s. What struck me was how varied his live performances could be, although all were excellent. I recall a concert at the Civic Center in Madison, Wisconsin, in early 1982 when he was just ferocious, just as intense and on fire as any live performer I have ever seen. He was grimacing with fury, whipping his head around, as he played guitar as intensely as possible.

Other times he was a bit more laid back but still very compelling. I heard a lot of great guitar playing live from him, and wonderful singing.

Then there was the time at the Roxy in Los Angeles, when he did a soul music show, very different from every other concert of his which I attended.

I am very glad that his 1950s and 1960s albums were reissued on CD and that I decided to spring for all of them. There are great riches in those earlier recordings.

Edited by Hot Ptah