Xanadu Master Edition Series - Elemental Music

dougcrates

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sam Most has yet to really hit my spot, but you can find plenty of others for whom the opposite is true.

Most is a swinger, and all of his Xanadu dates have nice or better bands, but there is something unusual and -- for me in certain moods kind of off-putting -- about the way he actually produces and articulates notes. It's almost as though he's humming or whistling or (to coin a word) "throating" his lines rather than producing them by blowing air through the instrument and working the keys. Sometimes that sounds sort of unfair, if that makes any sense.

Sam Most has yet to really hit my spot, but you can find plenty of others for whom the opposite is true.

Most is a swinger, and all of his Xanadu dates have nice or better bands, but there is something unusual and -- for me in certain moods kind of off-putting -- about the way he actually produces and articulates notes. It's almost as though he's humming or whistling or (to coin a word) "throating" his lines rather than producing them by blowing air through the instrument and working the keys. Sometimes that sounds sort of unfair, if that makes any sense.

That makes perfect sense. You can even hear what you're describing in the sample track that I posted above.

I know what you mean. I've also heard it claimed that Rahsaan ripped him off with the whole singing-while-playing, but that to me seems a bit too simplistic.

To me, it seems like the lines he plays are extremely competent, but not particularly "creative", if you know what I mean. Not implying that it's a "gimmick" per se, I've seen no indication that he's anything other than wholly and admirably dedicated and sincere, it's just that...what next, then?

And I feel so guilty saying that, because he plays so much more music than did popular-zone Herbie Mann, but I'm kinda like, Herbie Mann, meets expectations. Lower expectations, sure, but still, expectations met, you can just walk on by/through all that and just be happy to be happy in a guiltless fast-food kind of way. And Herbie Mann almost always had solid bands behind him, bands that it seems like you could still go see Herbie Mann even if you didn't like Herbie Mann because you knew the band would make it worth your while.

I've seen no indication that he's anything other than wholly and admirably dedicated and sincere, it's just that...what next, then?

Uh-oh...

Then again, can't blame a man for trying, chicks don't respect you if you don't at least try, or so went the common wisdom of the day.

From Zev Feldman.

FRIENDS, I'VE BEEN WAITING TO SHARE SOME NEWS.

Will you please watch this short video?

Over the last 3 years I've been involved in a historical preservation effort with ELEMENTAL MUSIC of Barcelona, Spain & THE ORCHARD to restore & reissue The XANADU RECORDS jazz album catalog. The first 6 albums are out June 30th. After Hurricane Sandy hit in 2012, many of the master tape reels were seriously damaged or destroyed (tapes literally unraveled in the floodwater). We had a long road to restore & reissue the recordings. We even lost all the album artwork so I used my personal LP's to have them drum scanned & our designer (Simon Svard) restored & made them look new again.

This became the perfect opportunity to celebrate one of my heroes, Xanadu's founder Don Schlitten, a man who I consider to be one of the architect's of this music & unjustly under-appreciated. You may not be aware of his name, but Don Schlitten has left one of the largest footprints in this music doing production, photography & design for many labels including Signal Records, Prestige, MPS, Cobblestone, Onyx, Muse, RCA & Xanadu. Xanadu was his brain-child and was a 'mom & pop' record label co-run with his wife Nina. Together they recorded & documented straight-ahead jazz in an era which was heavily influenced by fusion, funk rock, & R&B.

Over the next year, Elemental Music (in partnership with The Orchard) will reissue 25 key albums from the catalog which my label partner Jordi Soley and I personally selected). We've created definitive re-issue editions with 16-page booklets containing original notes, bonus photographs, & new liners by British jazz journalist legend Mark Gardner, in addition to yours truly. The first 6 releases include Jimmy & Albert 'Tootie' Heath, Al Cohn/Jimmy Rowles, Barry Harris, Sam Most & The Xanadu All-Stars. More releases to come from the likes of Joe Farrell, Bob Berg, Kenny Barron, Dexter Gordon, Cecil Payne plus others.

This is one of the most important musical projects I've ever been involved with. This was a labor of love & I'm proud of what we've accomplished. I hope you'll join us on this journey as we celebrate this music, and Don's accomplishments. It all starts June 30th.

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE HERE:

http://www.icontactarchive.com/Bp61cp1zavMD8u8e7KtgO4n8le3X…

Thanks for your interest & support.

Special thanks to Bret Primack & Zak Shelby-Szyszko for your help co-writing, directing, and producing this video with me.

Zev

I had that sampler but sold it - nice overview but much of the music didn't thrill me.

I definitely will get the Cohn/Rowles, maybe the Albert Heath. The Barry Harris Play Dameron is a real nice one, but I got the Jazz Lips issue a while back as I missed the LP and finally wanted to have it. But I never liked the bass and drums sound on those Xanadu sessions or on the Schlitten produced Prestige LPs.

From Zev Feldman.

FRIENDS, I'VE BEEN WAITING TO SHARE SOME NEWS.

Will you please watch this short video?

Over the last 3 years I've been involved in a historical preservation effort with ELEMENTAL MUSIC of Barcelona, Spain & THE ORCHARD to restore & reissue The XANADU RECORDS jazz album catalog. The first 6 albums are out June 30th. After Hurricane Sandy hit in 2012, many of the master tape reels were seriously damaged or destroyed (tapes literally unraveled in the floodwater). We had a long road to restore & reissue the recordings. We even lost all the album artwork so I used my personal LP's to have them drum scanned & our designer (Simon Svard) restored & made them look new again.

This became the perfect opportunity to celebrate one of my heroes, Xanadu's founder Don Schlitten, a man who I consider to be one of the architect's of this music & unjustly under-appreciated. You may not be aware of his name, but Don Schlitten has left one of the largest footprints in this music doing production, photography & design for many labels including Signal Records, Prestige, MPS, Cobblestone, Onyx, Muse, RCA & Xanadu. Xanadu was his brain-child and was a 'mom & pop' record label co-run with his wife Nina. Together they recorded & documented straight-ahead jazz in an era which was heavily influenced by fusion, funk rock, & R&B.

Over the next year, Elemental Music (in partnership with The Orchard) will reissue 25 key albums from the catalog which my label partner Jordi Soley and I personally selected). We've created definitive re-issue editions with 16-page booklets containing original notes, bonus photographs, & new liners by British jazz journalist legend Mark Gardner, in addition to yours truly. The first 6 releases include Jimmy & Albert 'Tootie' Heath, Al Cohn/Jimmy Rowles, Barry Harris, Sam Most & The Xanadu All-Stars. More releases to come from the likes of Joe Farrell, Bob Berg, Kenny Barron, Dexter Gordon, Cecil Payne plus others.

This is one of the most important musical projects I've ever been involved with. This was a labor of love & I'm proud of what we've accomplished. I hope you'll join us on this journey as we celebrate this music, and Don's accomplishments. It all starts June 30th.

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE HERE:

http://www.icontactarchive.com/Bp61cp1zavMD8u8e7KtgO4n8le3X…

Thanks for your interest & support.

Special thanks to Bret Primack & Zak Shelby-Szyszko for your help co-writing, directing, and producing this video with me.

Zev

Already discussed here:

Topis merged.

here's the list of future reissues mentioned in the trailer (17 more, so a total of 23, including 2 double cds)

Kenny Barron - At the Piano
Teddy Edwards - Feelin's
Joe Farrell - Skateboard Park
Ronnie Cuber - Cubre Libre
Al Cohn / Dexter Gordon - True Blue & Silver Blue (2CD)
Dolo Coker - California Hard
Kenny Drew - Home is where the Soul is
Charles McPherson - Beautiful
Frank Butler - The Stepper
Bob Berg - New Birth
Sonny Criss - Saturday Morning
Teddy Edwards - The Inimitable Teddy Edwards
Sam Jones - Changes & Things
Cecil Payne & Duke Jordan - Brooklyn Brothers
Barry Harris - Live in Tokyo
Charles McPherson - Live in Tokyo
Jimmy Raney - Live in Tokyo

here's the list of future reissues mentioned in the trailer (17 more, so a total of 23, including 2 double cds)

Kenny Barron - At the Piano

Teddy Edwards - Feelin's

Joe Farrell - Skateboard Park

Ronnie Cuber - Cubre Libre

Al Cohn / Dexter Gordon - True Blue & Silver Blue (2CD)

Dolo Coker - California Hard

Kenny Drew - Home is where the Soul is

Charles McPherson - Beautiful

Frank Butler - The Stepper

Bob Berg - New Birth

Sonny Criss - Saturday Morning

Teddy Edwards - The Inimitable Teddy Edwards

Sam Jones - Changes & Things

Cecil Payne & Duke Jordan - Brooklyn Brothers

Barry Harris - Live in Tokyo

Charles McPherson - Live in Tokyo

Jimmy Raney - Live in Tokyo

Great looking list.

But I am a bit surprised they they're not reissuing Al Cohn Plays or Al Cohn's America.

How are the Edwards Xanadu records? Couldn't find any on YouTube.

I am a bit surprised they're not reissuing Al Cohn Plays or Al Cohn's America.

Ditto. (Do you mean Cohn's Play It Now?) Both records are far above average. Some of the most harmonically adventurous Cohn playing on record.

110953137163.jpgR-4593347-1381398398-6816.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Late

How are the Edwards Xanadu records? Couldn't find any on YouTube.

I am a bit surprised they're not reissuing Al Cohn Plays or Al Cohn's America.

Ditto. (Do you mean Cohn's Play It Now?) Both records are far above average. Some of the most harmonically adventurous Cohn playing on record.

Yeah. My bad. My memory isn't what it used to be! ;)

BTW: I've not heard either of those Teddy Edwards LPs, but here's one track from Feelin's: Eleven Twenty Three

Sounds good!

Edited by HutchFan

Nice, indeed - thanks!

Hm, second look: what happened to Jimmy Heath? Would have enjoyed more! And Sam Noto, too - but then Noto is no name that would sell, I guess.

Not sure they have the rights to any additional Jimmy Heath. 'The Gap Sealer' was originally released on Cobblestone, 'Love and Understanding' on Muse. But that Tootie Heath being released here was also a Muse release, so not sure how the rights fall on some of that stuff. I own the Farrell and McPherson and the Jimmy Heath, which are really good, as well as some of the others. I'll buy the Tootie Heath and probably the Barry Harris Dameron set, but am not that desperate for the other titles, though I'm sure they are fine.