So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Archie Shepp and pianist Jasper van 't Hof- Mama Rose (Steeplechase)Mama_Rose_(album).jpg

I sometimes wonder what the backstory is behind this one.

Who was van't Hof? I don't think I've ever heard of him apart from this record.

Was Shepp looks for some sort of Richard Teitelbaum partner?

Was it meant to be a more "modern" corrective to his recent traditionalist exercises?

Added to that is the fact that Shepp at this period really sounds thin and on edge, as if the 1980s had hit him hard. In the film Imagine The Sound from the previous year, he looks and plays like he's in the middle of some sort of terrible collapse and on the verge of tears (although that's true of everyone in that film except for Bill Dixon).

Edited by Rabshakeh

• Replies 80.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Rab - Here's van 't Hof's wikipedia entry.

He's probably most famous for being one of the founders of the band Pork Pie (with Philip Catherine and Charlie Mariano).

IMO, two excellent records featuring van 't Hof :
- Co-leader - Sleep My Love (CMP) with Catherine and Mariano
- Sideman - Bamboo Madness (Limetree) by John Lee & Gerry Brown 

Edited by HutchFan

2 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Rab - Here's van 't Hof's wikipedia entry.

He's probably most famous for being one of the founders of the band Pork Pie (with Philip Catherine and Charlie Mariano).

IMO, two excellent records featuring van 't Hof :
- Leader - Sleep My Love (CMP) with Catherine and Mariano
- Sideman - Bamboo Madness (Limetree) by John Lee & Gerry Brown 

Thanks. I see he was in Association P.C. too. I should have recognised his name.

Great pic on the Wikipedia entry: 

220px-Jasper_van’t_Hof_2008.jpeg

Like a mad sea captain.

MI0001572959.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Mezz Mezzrow "1928-1936" Chronogical Classics cd

1    Chicago Rhythm Kings–    There'll Be Some Changes Made
Vocals – Red McKenzie 2:50
2    Chicago Rhythm Kings–    I've Found A New Baby    3:05
3    Jungle Kings (2)–    Friars Point Shuffle    2:52
4    Jungle Kings (2)–    Darktown Strutters Ball    2:30
5    Frank Teschmacher's Chicagoans–    Jazz Me Blues    2:38
6    Louisiana Rhythm Kings–    Baby, Won't You Please Come Home?
Vocals – Elinor Charier* 2:36
7    Mezz Mezzrow And His Orchestra–    Free Love
Arranged By – Benny Carter 2:49
8    Mezz Mezzrow And His Orchestra–    Dissonance
Arranged By – Mezz Mezzrow 2:50
9    Mezz Mezzrow And His Orchestra–    Swingin' With Mez
Arranged By – Floyd O'Brien, Mezz Mezzrow 3:01
10    Mezz Mezzrow And His Orchestra–    Love, You're Not The One For Me
Vocals – Benny Carter 3:06
11    Mezz Mezzrow And His Orchestra–    Old Fashioned Love
Arranged By – Alex Hill* 3:02
12    Mezz Mezzrow And His Orchestra–    Apologies
Arranged By – Mezz Mezzrow 3:18
13    Mezz Mezzrow And His Orchestra–    Sendin' The Vipers
Arranged By – Mezz Mezzrow 2:52
14    Mezz Mezzrow And His Orchestra–    35th And Calumet
Arranged By – Floyd O'Brien 2:47
15    Art Karle And His Boys–    Moon Over Miami
Vocals – Chick Bullock 3:09
16    Art Karle And His Boys–    I Feel Like A Feather In The Breeze
Vocals – Chick Bullock 2:34
17    Art Karle And His Boys–    Suzannah
Vocals – Chick Bullock 2:48
18    Art Karle And His Boys–    Lights Out
Vocals – Chick Bullock 3:08
19    Mezz Mezzrow And His Swing Band–    A Melody From The Sky
Vocals – Lucille Stewart 3:00
20    Mezz Mezzrow And His Swing Band–    Lost    2:26

Credits
Alto Saxophone – Benny Carter (tracks: 7 to 14), Frank Teschmacher* (tracks: 5), Mezz Mezzrow (tracks: 7 to 14), Rod Cless (tracks: 5)
Banjo – Eddie Condon (tracks: 1 to 6)
Bass – John Kirby (tracks: 11 to 14), Louis Thompson (tracks: 15 to 18), Pops Foster (tracks: 7 to 10), Wellman Braud (tracks: 19, 20)
Brass Bass – Jim Lannigan (tracks: 1 to 6)
Clarinet – Frank Teschmacher* (tracks: 1 to 6), Mezz Mezzrow (tracks: 7 to 20)
Cornet – Muggsy Spanier (tracks: 1 to 4, 6)
Drums – Chick Webb (tracks: 11 to 14), Gene Krupa (tracks: 1 to 6), George Stafford (tracks: 15 to 20), Jack Maisel (tracks: 7 to 10)
Guitar – Albert Casey* (tracks: 19, 20), Clayton "Sunshine" Duerr* (tracks: 7 to 10), Ted Tonisen (tracks: 15 to 18)
Piano – Joe Bushkin (tracks: 15 to 18), Joe Sullivan (tracks: 1 to 6), Teddy Wilson (tracks: 7 to 10), Willie "The Lion" Smith (tracks: 11 to 14, 19, 20)
Tenor Saxophone – Art Karle (tracks: 15 to 18), Bud Freeman (tracks: 11 to 14, 19, 20), Johnny Russell (tracks: 7 to 10), Mezz Mezzrow (tracks: 1 to 6)
Trombone – Floyd O'Brien (tracks: 7 to 14)
Trumpet – Ben Gusick (tracks: 7 to 10), Benny Carter (tracks: 7 to 10), Chelsea Quealey (tracks: 11 to 14), Frank Newton (tracks: 15 to 20), Freddy Goodman (tracks: 7 to 10), Max Kaminsky (tracks: 7 to 14), Reunald Jones (tracks: 11 to 14)
Edited by jazzbo

Reading a thread elsewhere about the Plangent Process made me want to re-listen to the fiftieth anniversary release of this Grateful Dead classic, the first disc. The Plangent Process is used in preparing this one and man oh man it sounds great.

dead_skull_roses_cover_1050x1050_9.jpg

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I never heard Pee Wee Russell and records with clarinet are very scarce in my collection I must admit. But I had read a long time ago that Monk played with him at Newport, I know there must be an album. But if a veteran plays compositions of Monk, and even Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane, he earns my deepest respect, and that a more modern orientated label like Impulse recorded him. 

I heard a few combinations of Oldtime Jazz with "then modern jazz" in my live: The jam session in Paris 1949, were Sidney Bechet meets Bird and Miles, some broadcast of Bird with Miles, where an oldtime trumpetist named Max Kaminsky plays with them on Bird´s tune "Big Foot", then the 1947 WNEW Broadcast were Fats Navarro plays with more oldtime sounding Bill Harris "Sweet Georgia Brown". 
That means they really were musicians, and music is the common language. But if amateur Old Time groups here around in Europe play, they would not accept a more modern player, at least in most of the cases. Once there was a beer garden and such a Trad Band with Banjo and Tuba played and someone told me to sit in on piano. I still regret I did it. They said, let´s play Sweet Georgia Brown - no problem - and I played my solo maybe with lines not far away from Fats or Bud (who also recorded "Brown"), maybe with some left hand stride at one point as a nod to the "oldies". There were two young or middle aged guys in the oldy band who smiled at me and liked it, but the boss, a fat white hair banjo player hated it. By the way, he was from some authority that gave permisson if a club wants after hour open time, and he made a deal with that club "you get your after hour thing and let us play one time every month ;)

Re old and modern mix, this album has Barney Kessel on Guitar!

sddefault.jpg

Now playing:

pat-martino.jpg?&width=780&quality=60

Lester Bowie - African Children (Horo, 1978)R-1125259-1230884887.jpg

It's a shame this wasn't two separate LPs rather than a double. I think that the tighter and catchier second LP might be my favourite by Bowie (and up there for Blythe), but the first LP has too much growling and squarking and not enough happening.

Edited by Rabshakeh

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Archie Shepp and pianist Jasper van 't Hof- Mama Rose (Steeplechase)Mama_Rose_(album).jpg

I sometimes wonder what the backstory is behind this one.

Was Shepp looks for some sort of Richard Teitelbaum partner?

Was it meant to be a more "modern" corrective to his recent traditionalist exercises?

Added to that is the fact that Shepp at this period really sounds thin and on edge, as if the 1980s had hit him hard. In the film Imagine The Sound from the previous year, he looks and plays like he's in the middle of some sort of terrible collapse and on the verge of tears (although that's true of everyone in that film except for Bill Dixon).

Couldn`t disagree more here .... a great platter and Archie Shepp`s solo on "Contracts" is as good as it gets ....

2 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Couldn`t disagree more here .... a great platter and Archie Shepp`s solo on "Contracts" is as good as it gets ....

I like it too! It. It might be my favourite record of his on Steeplechase. I just think he does sound oddly diminished in contrast to the Shepp of the mid-70s.

It’s just a weird record, 

Now on:

Golden Hearts Remembrance - Wadada Leo Smith and N'Da Kulture (Chap Chap, 1997)

357952A6-E92D-4876-A1D4-36D4132AD8CC.jpeg

Some good use of tuba to provide some heavy ballast.

Edited by Rabshakeh