• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

image-asset.jpeg?format=1000w

Book of Angels: Andras

one of the classical Blue Note lineups, vib/p/b/dr (with John Medeski doubling on organ and electric piano), and the group's first album called Nova Express was really a bit in that spirit... this one here is more ambient/static but not quite as ambient as the same group's At the Gates of Paradise... just noticed that Trevor Dunn has written a few words on most of the 40 albums he was on until 2021... but even he runs out of ideas with so many albums and all these mystical concepts he doesn't seem to relate to: "Here we have the Nova Quartet, augmented with Cyro, playing songs from Masada Book II, aka The Book of Angels. Each song is named after a different angel and I think there are over 300 of them. It’s a veritable collection of angelology. This version of Nova also shares qualities with The Dreamers." 

his description of Buer from the same series sounds interesting: "Brian [Marsella] is a sik pup. Another book of Zorn’s Masada book II songs, each one with a slightly different nod to the history of jazz piano i.e. Tristano, Art, Bud, McCoy. A lot of these are first takes. Perhaps we were driven by the fallen angel Buer who is a president in Hell where he teaches moral and natural philosophy, the logical arts, and the virtues of all herbs and plants. You can take classes in Hell??"

Paul Desmond “Pure Desmond” CTI cd 2003

Desmond considered this an Ed Bickert album more than his; Bickert is well presented and featured. (Bickert is on guitar, and Ron Carter on bass, and Connie Kay on drums).

I didn’t realize until today how different the cd versions are from the original LP, and how the two cd versions differed. Chronicled here:

en.wikipedia.org

Pure Desmond

Pure Desmond is an album by American jazz saxophonist Paul Desmond recorded in 1974 and released on the CTI label. In September, 1974, Desmond brought Canadian guitarist Ed Bickert to the United States to record the studio album, in a quartet setting with Ron Carter and Connie Kay. This was Bickert's first major appearance playing jazz on a U.S. record label in over a decade, and it served as a showcase for Bickert's guitar playing. “I consider it Ed’s album, really,” Desmond told writer Gene Le...

3 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Desmond considered this an Ed Bickert album more than his; Bickert is well presented and featured. (Bickert is on guitar, and Ron Carter on bass, and Connie Kay on drums).

I didn’t realize until today how different the cd versions are from the original LP, and how the two cd versions differed. Chronicled here:

en.wikipedia.org

Pure Desmond

Pure Desmond is an album by American jazz saxophonist Paul Desmond recorded in 1974 and released on the CTI label. In September, 1974, Desmond brought Canadian guitarist Ed Bickert to the United States to record the studio album, in a quartet setting with Ron Carter and Connie Kay. This was Bickert's first major appearance playing jazz on a U.S. record label in over a decade, and it served as a showcase for Bickert's guitar playing. “I consider it Ed’s album, really,” Desmond told writer Gene Le...

I never understood the album art. What is it meant to be? So many great CTI covers and Desmond just gets this.

1 hour ago, Niko said:

image-asset.jpeg?format=1000w

Book of Angels: Andras

one of the classical Blue Note lineups, vib/p/b/dr (with John Medeski doubling on organ and electric piano), and the group's first album called Nova Express was really a bit in that spirit... this one here is more ambient/static but not quite as ambient as the same group's At the Gates of Paradise... just noticed that Trevor Dunn has written a few words on most of the 40 albums he was on until 2021... but even he runs out of ideas with so many albums and all these mystical concepts he doesn't seem to relate to: "Here we have the Nova Quartet, augmented with Cyro, playing songs from Masada Book II, aka The Book of Angels. Each song is named after a different angel and I think there are over 300 of them. It’s a veritable collection of angelology. This version of Nova also shares qualities with The Dreamers." 

his description of Buer from the same series sounds interesting: "Brian [Marsella] is a sik pup. Another book of Zorn’s Masada book II songs, each one with a slightly different nod to the history of jazz piano i.e. Tristano, Art, Bud, McCoy. A lot of these are first takes. Perhaps we were driven by the fallen angel Buer who is a president in Hell where he teaches moral and natural philosophy, the logical arts, and the virtues of all herbs and plants. You can take classes in Hell??"

I agree with you. What even are these mystical concepts? It's just a nothing. Zorn wants to write some tunes so he picks a number from mythology and writes that many, then gives them all names to correspond. It don't signify nothing. 

In case you want to know about Buer, this is what he looks like: 440px-Ill_dict_infernal_p0139-123_buer.jpg.3bfa1bd4879f4e44637ce580a2c7cdc9.jpg

Cheeky chappy.

Looks like something Dr. Seuss would have just left out.

John Zorn – The Circle MakerR-573716-1416010677-5227.jpg.d29662894e510f826428dcd621f6e146.jpg

I'm less impressed by this one than I was with Bar Kohkba. The arrangements are samey and sometimes I think even a little kitsch, and there's too much of it, without the variety of the earlier record.

Again, what is the name about? Choni the Circle Maker was a rain making miracle worker in ancient Judea with whom the early Rabbis had a difficult relationship. Zevulon and Issachar were two sons of Jacob who in Jewish lore had an archetypal supportive relationship. Nothing to do with the legends about Choni at all. It's just picking nonsense terms.

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

OS00MzgwLmpwZWc.jpeg

NC0xMDY4LmpwZWc.jpeg

👍

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Keith Jarrett’Gary Peacock/Jack DeJohnette “After the Fall” ECM 2 cd set, disc 1

A concert after Jarrett’s first battle with chronic fatigue. An excellent show!

👍

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

en.wikipedia.org

Pure Desmond

👍

Now:

Primary

J.R. Monterose 3 CD Set: T.T.T., Is Alive in Amsterdam Paradiso, Body and Soul [Limited Release]

Japanese 1,800 yen reissue of 3-cd bundle: 2 Timeless and one Storyville. Too lazy to look up cover art for all 3, though I'm partial to T.T.T. due to J. R.'s uncanny resemblance to Moe Howard in the photo. 😅

MC0yNDI2LmpwZWc.jpeg