• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Justin V said:

The_Winter_in_Lisbon.jpg

I think that I may have forgotten (or never knew?) that Danilo Perez worked with Dizzy.  This recent acquisition prompted me to snag a ticket to see him next month.

I saw Danilo Pérez on piano with the Gillespie United Nations Orchestra here in Manchester in 1989.

11 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Once I had to perform "Cumbia" on the request of the bass player I was playing with, shortly after the album had come out. I had to transcribe the parts (and I am the most lousy writer in the world), and had to give them sections "movement titles" so that we could rehearse the different movements. 
When there was the question who will sing that "Mama´s little baby" rap on that two beat feeling, they pointed at me because my voice would get closest to the voice on the record.

Nice. How'd it turn out? 

This was my first listen of Cumbia and I dug it. A lot. Noticed the second track was recorded in Italy with what looks like a good amount of Italian musicians. Anyone know the story as to how that came about? 

Tom Jobim “My Soul Sings”

I will never get enough of this disc. This disc collects all the tracks that Jobim contributed to the many discs in the series “Great Brazilian Songbooks” . . . late works by the master interpreting the works of other composers. There’s a vibe here that I need in my life.

MjktNTU0Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

LTgxNDguanBlZw.jpeg

LTQ5MjYuanBlZw.jpeg

Powerful music, recorded at the Moers Festival in 1974. 

Yosuke Yamashita's trio recorded Clay on the following day at the festival. 

Two amazing performances.  Wish I could've been there.  ;) 

Oh yes that record has a lot energy 🥰

Fruit of a library sale -- Benny Goodman's "Air Play( CSP) -- 23 airshots (small group and orchestra) from 1938-39. Really good stuff; Hampton and Teddy Wilson in great form, as is Goodman, and I'm struck by the swinging inventive efficiency of the band charts by both Hendersons,  Mundy, and Edgar Sampson,  plus strong solo work from James, Bud Freeman, and Stacy. Not to be passed up IMO.

a0701297463_10.jpg

Rough Magic

The new one by Roomful of Teeth. New compositions by William Brittelle, Eve Beglarian, Caroline Shaw, and Peter S. Shin.

https://roomfulofteeth.bandcamp.com/album/rough-magic

$50.00 for the LP, no CD, fuck that. But the DL is affordable.

No lyrics though, which I am going to look for at some point.

Right now, I'm still wrapping my head around the voices. Some familiar sounds, some not. All of them wonderfully on it!