• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m listening to this one again after a spell. I always want this one to be DIFFERENT than it is. I have been learning to accept it for what it IS and am winning over the years.

“The Gil Evans Orchestra Plays the Music of Jimi Hendrix” Japan cd

61df7789fb9f9b2000d4830b06601c5be7190df9
Edited by jazzbo

Gil Evans plays Jimi Hendrix was one of my first 10, 20 CDs as a kid... at that stage, you accept every album for what it is... loved this one and played it over and over again... but haven't played it in years... Myself, I am just revisiting Swordfishtrombones for the first time in a long time and it seems that I'm finally ready

2 hours ago, Niko said:

Gil Evans plays Jimi Hendrix was one of my first 10, 20 CDs as a kid... at that stage, you accept every album for what it is... loved this one and played it over and over again... but haven't played it in years... Myself, I am just revisiting Swordfishtrombones for the first time in a long time and it seems that I'm finally ready

Tom Waits, I assume there's not another album with that title. I was knocked out by that the day I bought the LP in the week it was released.

I can still remember listening to it with my mate, we were big Waits fans and Heartattack And Vine had hinted a little at a new direction but we didn't see the new sound coming at all

6 hours ago, BillF said:

5168Gt-q-bL._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

👍

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Stan Kenton – Standards In Silhouette

R-4544463-1483265360-8160 (1).jpg

Stan Kenton – Back To Balboa

R-3503691-1333029031.jpg

Not a Kenton fan but listening out of some sort of neurotic duty to acquire knowledge.

👍 for both.

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Stan Kenton And His Orchestra – Live At Redlands University

R-1987646-1519109735-5838.jpg

This one at least just sounds like a late 70s / early 80s professional big band record. Maybe that's because it influenced those records (if you believe the Wikipedia page).

👍

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Stan Kenton – Kenton Live From The Las Vegas Tropicana

R-8300594-1458924156-3071.jpg

This one is a bit more direct.

👍  Yes. Perhaps the best place to start.

Listening now:

Primary

Edited by John Tapscott

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Tom Waits, I assume there's not another album with that title. I was knocked out by that the day I bought the LP in the week it was released.

I can still remember listening to it with my mate, we were big Waits fans and Heartattack And Vine had hinted a little at a new direction but we didn't see the new sound coming at all

I knew Rain Dogs fairly well when I first heard Swordfishtrombones, knew Greg Cohen a bit from his work with John Zorn... There's stuff that's just different when you live through history in it's linear way

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Stan Kenton – Kenton / Wagner

R-6526394-1432692948-3125.jpg

Just hilarious. Let's take Ride of the Valkyries and play it in the most lumpen way possible. You know what this needs, lads? Latin percussion.

Yeah, that's a bizarre one! One of the few that has never been reissued on cd!

I'm listening to this one, which I got after reading about it here on the board:

41N8N2O7CRL._AC_UY218_.jpg