• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Don't Lose Control

A wonderful record, is this the one that has Don Pullen´s "Double Arc Jane" ? And a blues with Adams´ vocal very similar to the "Devil Blues" on a Mingus album ? 
I heard the band shortly after Mingus´ death. I was still so shocked from the news of Mingus ´ death . But the band was fantastic. But it´s terrible that with the exception of Cameron Brown all three died early, just in their 50´s . 

3 hours ago, Brad said:

i-GbGQHZH-L.jpg

While I enjoyed the various takes of Stablemates and Red Cross, I got a real kick out of his playing Soprano Sax on In a Sentimental Mood. It’s a moving rendition. 

Recently I listened to his last Steeplechase album "Bitin´ the Apple" which is the greatest, due to the fantastic rhythm section of Barry Harris, Sam Jones and Al Foster. And I think Dexter´s playing on it is the most enthusiastic. 

I think that decades ago I also bought two of his mid 70´s Steeplechase albums, one with Horace Parlan on piano, and one with Tete Montoliu on piano. What I remember about Tete is, that otherwise than his dozens of gigs with Dexter in the sixties (Dexter in Radioland) he has a very modal style here, completly different than 10 years earlier. I love modal style, but didn´t expect it from Tete. 

8 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

👍

Now:

Primary

Bud´s playing on this one, together with the "Blakey in Paris" , "Hawk in Germany" and "Mingus at Antibes" is in my opinion the greatest Bud of the decade, and maybe also among the greatest Bud ever. 
It seems that if someone had forgotten to dope him with that psychopharmaca "Largathyl" , he felt free from the debilating effect of the medication and got back to his old great form. The only thing why I prefer the other mentioned top Bud performances is the better stuff from the drums. Bud with Blakey, Klook or Richmond just goes better for my ears. But he was such a genius and loner that he somehow went on his own and just burned at the piano. Like on "All God´s Chillun"  which I think is the best version I ever heard played by him. 

Maybe "Evidence" would have needed more gettin inside the rhythmic aspect of the tune. I think, if Bud would have heard it more often on Monks record and would have had a drummer who KNOWS that tune would have done better. Though "Evidence" is based on "Just You Just Me", you just can´t use it as only a blowing vehicle on the "Just You Just Me" chords.....

It´s interesting that there is less ballad playing on those two swiss recordings. I think I remember a great version of "Midnight" , and the eternal "I Remember Clifford" which seems to be on each of the later Bud Powell albums.....

3 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Disc #1 from:

Primary

👍 As fine as the rest is, I think Disc 1 is my favorite in the set.

3 hours ago, BillF said:

👍

Now playing:

NTgtMTk2Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

👍

Now:

Primary

A good one, though I think RVG was better at recording small groups. Something is a bit off with the way the trumpet section is recorded/mixed. 

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

A wonderful record, is this the one that has Don Pullen´s "Double Arc Jane" ? And a blues with Adams´ vocal very similar to the "Devil Blues" on a Mingus album ? 
I heard the band shortly after Mingus´ death. I was still so shocked from the news of Mingus ´ death . But the band was fantastic. But it´s terrible that with the exception of Cameron Brown all three died early, just in their 50´s . 

Recently I listened to his last Steeplechase album "Bitin´ the Apple" which is the greatest, due to the fantastic rhythm section of Barry Harris, Sam Jones and Al Foster. And I think Dexter´s playing on it is the most enthusiastic. 

I think that decades ago I also bought two of his mid 70´s Steeplechase albums, one with Horace Parlan on piano, and one with Tete Montoliu on piano. What I remember about Tete is, that otherwise than his dozens of gigs with Dexter in the sixties (Dexter in Radioland) he has a very modal style here, completly different than 10 years earlier. I love modal style, but didn´t expect it from Tete. 

Bud´s playing on this one, together with the "Blakey in Paris" , "Hawk in Germany" and "Mingus at Antibes" is in my opinion the greatest Bud of the decade, and maybe also among the greatest Bud ever. 
It seems that if someone had forgotten to dope him with that psychopharmaca "Largathyl" , he felt free from the debilating effect of the medication and got back to his old great form. The only thing why I prefer the other mentioned top Bud performances is the better stuff from the drums. Bud with Blakey, Klook or Richmond just goes better for my ears. But he was such a genius and loner that he somehow went on his own and just burned at the piano. Like on "All God´s Chillun"  which I think is the best version I ever heard played by him. 

Maybe "Evidence" would have needed more gettin inside the rhythmic aspect of the tune. I think, if Bud would have heard it more often on Monks record and would have had a drummer who KNOWS that tune would have done better. Though "Evidence" is based on "Just You Just Me", you just can´t use it as only a blowing vehicle on the "Just You Just Me" chords.....

It´s interesting that there is less ballad playing on those two swiss recordings. I think I remember a great version of "Midnight" , and the eternal "I Remember Clifford" which seems to be on each of the later Bud Powell albums.....

I have to confess, I remastered that for a Japanese label which then refused it, so I put it out myself. Interesting CD.

419S4PYW9JL.jpg

Disc 8.

Not at all connected to the Mosaic box, this is a compilation (done by Castle Communications) of various releases you used to find in the remainder bins, from Lionel Hampton's Who's Who In Jazz label, "Live At Midem" releases, "Live At Bubba's" releases, and the like.  Won't make anyone's Best Of list, but very pleasant background listening with a few surprises.

This disc contains:

1. Teddy Wilson - Liza.  Teddy Wilson, piano; George Duvivier, bass; Teddy Wilson Jr., drums; Sam Turner, conga; Lionel Hampton, vibes; Gerry Fuller, clarinet.  10/7/77.

2. Lionel Hampton - Tenderly.  Lionel Hampton, vibes, piano; Clark Terry, trumpet; Thad Jones, trumpet, flugelhorn, arranger; J.J. Johnson, trombone; Lucky Thompson, soprano sax; Coleman Hawkins, tenor sax; Hank Jones, piano; Arvell Shaw, bass; Osie Johnson, drums.  4/15/65.

3. Carmen McRae - Body And Soul.  Carmen McRae, vocals; Thad Jones, trumpet; Cat Anderson, trumpet; and the Claude Bolling Orchestra.  “Date unknown.”

4. Kai Winding - Never Let Me Go.  Kai Winding, Frank Strazzeri, Kevin Brandon, Ted Hawke.  9/1/77.

5. B.B. King - The Thrill Is Gone.  B.B. King and Orchestra.  1/28/83.

6. McCoy Tyner - You Taught My Heart To Sing.  McCoy Tyner, piano.  10/24-27/91.

7. Paul Horn - Here’s That Rainy Day.  Paul Horn, flute; Mike Garson, piano; Mark Michel, bass; Umberto Pagnini, drums.  Riviera Concert, Cannes, France, 1/23/80.

8. Ahmad Jamal - Autumn In New York.  Ahmad Jamal, piano; Payton Crossley, drums; Sabu Adeyola, bass.  3/20/80.

9. Dexter Gordon - I Should Care.  Dexter Gordon, soprano sax; Hank Jones, piano; George Duvivier, bass; Oliver Jackson, drums; Candido Camero, conga; Bucky Pizzarelli, guitar; Lionel Hampton, vibes.  11/11/77.

10. Freddie Hubbard - All Blues.  Freddie Hubbard, trumpet; Ronnie Matthews, piano; Jeff Chambers, bass; Ralph Penland, drums; Don Braden, tenor sax.  Operetka, Warsaw, Poland 10/24/91.

11. Ahmad Jamal - I’ve Never Been In Love Before.  Ahmad Jamal, piano; Payton Crossley, drums; Sabu Adeyola, bass.  3/20/80.