• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Davies really was a magician when it came to remastering

51FHQz3VGjL._SX355_.jpg

I loved John R.T., nicest guy ever - and he was able to transfer music in the best possible way - and the key, other than his expertise, was the sources he had. He and Brian Rust were able to  acquire test pressings and metal masters from sometimes mysterious sources (meaning someone spirited them out of certain places), clean sources in mint shape. The tragedy of American music is the loss of masters, from Victor, Okeh, Columbia - though some still exist, clueless engineers have no idea how to handle them (and also, note, that Davies, by the time of the above transfers, was using CEDAR digital noise reduction; he was no Luddite).

Edited by AllenLowe

11 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

I loved John R.T., nicest guy ever - and he was able to transfer music in the best possible way - and the key, other than his expertise, was the sources he had. He and Brian Rust were able to  acquire test pressings and metal masters from sometimes mysterious sources (meaning someone spirited them out of certain places), clean sources in mint shape. The tragedy of American music is the loss of masters, from Victor, Okeh, Columbia - though some still exist, clueless engineers have no idea how to handle them (and also, note, that Davies, by the time of the above transfers, was using CEDAR digital noise reduction; he was no Luddite).

And the losses of the Deccas too. A real tragedy.

I just finished listening to this CD and discovered "Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me," present as track 18, is omitted from the track list and liner notes. Presumably recorded in November 1943 featuring Thelma Carpenter, according to my few minutes of online research.

Mi02OTUyLmpwZWc.jpeg

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Santana “Borboletta” Columbia LP

Love that album - Leon Patillo is great on it.  Saw that edition of the group at the Atlantic City Raceway in 1974, and they blew CSNY and Jesse Colin Young off the stage.  Incidentally, tickets were $10.  What would they go for now for that type of show?

Experiment_in_Terror-_Music_from_the_Mot

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

I just finished listening to this CD and discovered "Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me," present as track 18, is omitted from the track list and liner notes. Presumably recorded in November 1943 featuring Thelma Carpenter, according to my few minutes of online research.

Mi02OTUyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Hep put out such great stuff.  And a Thelma Carpenter track, what a find! Alastair must have corrected it in a later run... I just checked my copy and it's listed.  Going to revisit later this evening, so thanks much for posting it.

Edited by ghost of miles

58 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Experiment_in_Terror-_Music_from_the_Mot

Hep put out such great stuff.  And a Thelma Carpenter track, what a find! Alastair must have corrected it in a later run... I just checked my copy and it's listed.  Going to revisit later this evening, so thanks much for posting it.

Just now, Ken Dryden said:

Is there a date listed for it? I was thinking it sounded like Thelma Carpenter but I wasn’t sure.

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Mi02OTUyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Is Lester really on these cuts?

11 hours ago, soulpope said:

84b2f7e330b0d53bf584a63a90469b4ed748b287

Recorded @ Five Spot on July 16th, 1961 .... a proverbial "dream band" at work .... 

I must have it. I wanted to have it for a long time but have listened only to the track "Fire Waltz" since it is one of the tunes we do on concerts. If the rest is so good.....

It´s only the time, I must admit I haven´t had time to listen to a record since the end of february, with the exception of one record made by one of my fellow musicians. 

If I buy albums, it´s usually from my fellow musicians here in Austria. Times have changed a bit. 

53 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I must have it. I wanted to have it for a long time but have listened only to the track "Fire Waltz" since it is one of the tunes we do on concerts. If the rest is so good.....

This any both companion albums are fabulous ....

12 hours ago, Ed S said:

image.jpeg.31ed7aa19d50213900b1d9ef6d559160.jpeg

Fun stuff. This is supposed to be Curtis Fuller's recording debut but there is some debate as to the actual recording dates.

I wonder if the master tapes exist for this? I have the Japanese CDs and they don't sound that great. They sound better than the Fresh Sounds CDs but only a little. Has anyone heard the latest SHM-CD versions?

This morning lap dog won over laptop and I’m behind chronicling my listening.

I started off the day with disc 2 of the Fay Victor vocal project of Herbie Nichols compositions and it’s an excellent disc.

Followed by Wayne Escoffrey “Hopes and Dreams” cd on Savant Records.

s-l500.jpg

Followed by Eliane Elias “Illusions” on Denon cd

zaP2_G7137720W.JPG

Followed by
Sonny Clark “Dial S for Sonny” Blue Note 85th Anniversary Blue Note UHQCD

Ny0yOTc2LmpwZWc.jpeg

And right now
Coleman Hawkins “Good Old Broadway” XRCD.

745500d9125d6c5a684480cc2676aad0.jpg

1 hour ago, Pim said:

IMG-6947.jpg

IMG-6948.jpg

IMG-6949.jpg

Mal Waldron series I created myself. 12 volumes with something like 16 bootleg records. This one captures the ‘Seagulls’ group live in Switzerland.

Superb concert .... a shame this was not released officially ....