Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/7/2022 at 3:15 PM, bresna said:

Andre Jaume / Barry Altschul / Barre Phillips – Giacobazzi "Autour De La Rade" (CELP). This is an unusual CD. It's really mellow, but it's avant garde mellow, if you know what I mean. There's a lot of dirge-like tunes but on a couple of tracks, Jaume burns it up. My favorite of the "burners" is "L'Arsenal", the closing piece of the "Point de Vue" suite. It's a tour de force for Jaume.

Listening to this one today, it's a really good one. I like the other Jaume trio on CELP (this time with Charlie Haden and Olivier Clerc), "Peace / Pace / Paix", even more though. 

On 6/7/2022 at 4:03 PM, colinmce said:

The McPhee/Jaume/Boni CELP CD Songs & Dances has eluded me always, it scarcely seems to exist.

I sent a message to Joe McPhee (or whoever is managing his bandcamp page) to consider making it available on bandcamp. The CD is in my Discogs wish-list for years.  

1 hour ago, Д.Д. said:

I sent a message to Joe McPhee (or whoever is managing his bandcamp page) to consider making it available on bandcamp. The CD is in my Discogs wish-list for years.  

I found a copy of Songs & Dances last year, the first one I've ever seen for sale. A very nice disc indeed, it would be great if more people could hear it. 

14 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Did the record -- and Max's Quartet (in general) -- make a big splash at the time?  Were they recognized as "important" relative to other bands?  I know that Max was acknowledged as a bebop pioneer.  But did folks talk about this band as something special?

Yes!

In jazz circles Max´s Quartet really DID make a big splash at my time. 
At least we, the modern-jazz oriented community, with fans born mostly in the 40´s and 50´s, and there were many many in the 70´s , well Max Roach was almost a God for us, and yes he WAS acknowledged as a bebop pioneer. All drummers, and all modern players of post bop, modal, avantgarde had that range of musical preferences from Bird to post Trane, post Ornette (with "holes" like most West Coast Jazz, Third Stream, Easy Listening Jazz), and I´ll never forget the exitement and enthuasm in town when it was announced that Roach will play. 

The day before, Art Farmer was booked and his drummer, a drum professor from the Graz-University of course idolized Max Roach. 
And during intermission before the second set started, Max Roach came in to listen and holding "court" and we hoped he might sit in with Art, but it´s sure, that for contractual reasons this was not possible.

But the next night, when Max Roach played his wonderful concert, Art was in the Audience and was announced and greeted by Max Roach.

See, for us, and we were a lot of guys, established musicians, budding musicians and most of all a big audience, this was a dream coming true. I mean, our musical tastes spread from the "Massey Hall Concert" to "Clifford Brown-Max Roach" to Miles, Rollins, Trane, Ornette and again electric Miles, so Max was "one of our fathers". During a time a bemoaned the death of Bird ... and Bud who had died only few years before, we all heard 3 out of 5 of the masters from "Massey": Diz, Mingus, Max....". 

And about the records. There were not as many as let´s say Mingus, but I could find "Speak Brother Speak" and "Clifford Brown-Max Roach on Basin Street". 
What I did not know then was that there was a special record shop in Viena that had all them Japan Imports, they had the Denon albums of Archie Shepp, of Max Roach and all, but terrible expensive for a teenager. 

But what I can say for sure: Almost every week there was a big US-Star of Jazz visiting our town and the houses (mostly Audimax of Universities) were PACKED with fans !!!!

That´s the surroundings I grew up.....

11 hours ago, bresna said:

In preparation for seeing Michael this Saturday in Boston: Michael Weiss - Power Station (DIW)

Secondary, 2 of 2

It's supposed to a cold one in Boston Saturday. They may set a new record low... and this is happening less than a week after the temps were near 50. :)

oh I´m jealous, how much would I like to hear and see Michael Weiss again. Such a wonderful musician, my idea of a perfect pianist. 

Bob Dylan “Fragments: The Bootleg Series Vol. 17” Columbia/Sony 5 disc box set.

I’m listening again to disc 1, the remix of “Time Out of Mind,” before moving along into the heart of this box set, the unreleased alternates et al. This material is strong, and the remix reveals a differing set of strengths.