• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

On my list in that vinyl reissue.

My0zNDU1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Great series from Mosaic while it lasted. Slide was an absolute master at making a mid sized band sound twice as big. Brilliant work by Roach and Lateef on this one too.

Roach's playing is intense on this album. I've got that Mosaic Single as well - love it!

14 hours ago, T.D. said:

OTEtODAyMS5qcGVn.jpeg

MDItOTEwMS5qcGVn.jpeg

I picked up that Farewell record recently via the Octave Lab Deep Jazz Reality series. Excellent record!

My first music of Thursday is the bonus selection on the Grateful Dead (HDCD remaster) cd of “Wake of the Flood” that has Bob Weir demoing on acoustic guitar the “Weather Report Suite.” It’s quite a showcase.

159d2a7b68bc0a3ff3e320ee18a443d34ed74898

Followed by an album that continues to fascinate me as much as it did when first released, featuring the lovely voice of Paula Morelenbaum in a sort of bossa nova/house collage that is a great listen.

Paula Morelenbaum “Berimbaum”

fdee4b6a1b5e83adf36924877098f790632680c5

17 hours ago, jazzbo said:

On another board people were discussing Miles Davis “Agharta” so I played the first half of the Sony Blu-Spec CD2 version.

And then for some reason I saw the Grateful Dead “Wake of the Flood” cd on the shelf and put that one on, it’s been a long time. (The HDCD remastered version). I can still remember marveling at the original LP I bought when it came out–that was the thickest vinyl I’d ever purchased! This is one of my favorite Dead, and rock, albums.

I was already a big Miles Davis fan, when Aghartha came out. It sold very well and we all listened to it. I had the record and others would come and make cassette tapes of it. That´s how it went then. First encounter with electric Miles late 1973. 
I have the impression that not all of his albums were so well advertised as this one. The "Get Up with It" was lesser known. I think the most common album just then in 1973/74 was "Big Fun" albeit it didn´t really represent the Miles of 1973-75 which was really a great, steady working unit.

After Agharta, and I think it was when Miles was into his 5 years of hiatus from recording and performing, the hardcore fans said something about "Pangheea" and it was very very expensive, but I got a copy but I think this was 2 years after Aghartha, though it was from the same day . 

June Christy “Something Cool” Capitol cd

I’m listening to the stereo version of this title, combined on a Capitol cd with the earlier mono version.

Both versions are great imo. But with the stereo you get that rich Capitol stereo sound, hard to beat.

Edited by jazzbo

24 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I was already a big Miles Davis fan, when Aghartha came out. It sold very well and we all listened to it. I had the record and others would come and make cassette tapes of it. That´s how it went then. First encounter with electric Miles late 1973. 
I have the impression that not all of his albums were so well advertised as this one. The "Get Up with It" was lesser known. I think the most common album just then in 1973/74 was "Big Fun" albeit it didn´t really represent the Miles of 1973-75 which was really a great, steady working unit.

After Agharta, and I think it was when Miles was into his 5 years of hiatus from recording and performing, the hardcore fans said something about "Pangheea" and it was very very expensive, but I got a copy but I think this was 2 years after Aghartha, though it was from the same day . 

Though it first appeared from Japan, and like Pangaea was a Japanese production, I remember the US 2 LP set of Agharta appearing rather prominently in record shops here in the US; I bought a copy when released and still have that copy today. I had been following Miles since I first heard Filles de Kilimanjaro in late '72 and had caught up to all the current Miles releases by the time that Get Up with It came out, my favorite then being Miles Davis at Fillmore. So I was really ready for Agharta when it came out on LP. I never did find an LP copy of Pangaea I could afford until the cd versions came out. . . I splurged on the first Japanese cd version, then upgraded several times until this Blu-Spec CD2 version came out, which sounds best to me.

3 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

I picked up that Farewell record recently via the Octave Lab Deep Jazz Reality series. Excellent record!

That's the same release I got. Agreed, fine record. The Message from the Tribe disc (2nd version - the first version has completely different tracks than later editions) is also outstanding. There have been a lot of great Japanese reissues of late...I'm going to have to stop looking at Dusty Groove's site in order to keep the budget within reason.🙄

9 minutes ago, T.D. said:

That's the same release I got. Agreed, fine record. The Message from the Tribe disc (2nd version - the first version has completely different tracks than later editions) is also outstanding. There have been a lot of great Japanese reissues of late...I'm going to have to stop looking at Dusty Groove's site in order to keep the budget within reason.🙄

I've avoided DG successfully but still spent more on music this year than I wanted. A visit to the DG site right now would be near disastrous for my budget 

Miles Davis “Kind of Blue” Sony SRCS 9104 LP facsimile cd. This I think is the first Japanese cd after the Gold cd was released two years before. 20 Bit SBM. . . it really sounds good on my system today. I have so many versions of this title! I try to rotate them when listening to “Kind of Blue”. . …

[IMG]

[IMG]