Alice Coltrane, John Coltrane new releases

robert h.

Surprisingly, no one has brought up here two of what may be the most exciting CD's on schedule this year - a new recording by Alice Coltrane for Impulse/Verve due June 15, and a John Coltrane title "Live At The Half Note", again on Impulse due August 24.

Anyone have info on these? I know Alice was recording with Jack DeJohnette and Ravi, I'm wondering if the new release is these sessions (which I had thought were to come under Ravi's name) or more recent new work?

Anyone know what the Live At Half Note material is - when, what, quality of source?

If these two turn out to be good, it's gonna be a great year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Wild's Trane discography lists some Half Note broadcasts in 1965

http://home.att.net/~dawild/jcdisc65.htm#650319

650319 JOHN COLTRANE QUARTET:

Personnel: Coltrane, ss, ts; McCoy Tyner, p; Jimmy Garrison, b; Elvin Jones, dr.

Date: 3/19/65

Engineer:

a. "Chim Chim Cheree" (R. Sherman - R. Sherman) 20:16

Private tape; JforJazz JFJ800; Chiaroscuro CR2023

b. "Impressions" (J. Coltrane) 21:58

Private tape; JforJazz JFJ800; Chiaroscuro CR2023

50402 JOHN COLTRANE QUARTET:

Personnel: Coltrane, ss, ts; McCoy Tyner, p; Jimmy Garrison, b; Elvin Jones, dr.

Date: 4/2/65

Engineer:

a. "Untitled Original" (J. Coltrane) 23:11

50507 JOHN COLTRANE QUARTET:

Date: 5/7/65

Engineer:

a. "Song of Praise" (J. Coltrane) 19:20

Private Tape; Ozone 21

b. "My Favorite Things" (R. Rodgers - O. Hammerstein) 23:05

Private tape; Blue Parrot (E) AR705

Private tape; Blue Parrot(E) AR700

b. "I Want To Talk About You" (B. Eckstine) 15:26

Private Tape

c. "Afro-Blue" AT (M. Santamaria) 5:40

Private Tape

NOTE:650402a as "Creation" on some releases.

Some (possibly all?) of that Half Note material was recently circulated in a '1965-1968' Coltrane tree. AMAZING stuff, to say the least. The sound quality is fairly decent for this type of material - however, will be nice to have a legit release of this with (hopefully) even better sound. Looking forward to it!

Any idea whether this will be a single or multi-disc release?

Surprisingly, no one has brought up here two of what may be the most exciting CD's on schedule this year - a new recording by Alice Coltrane for Impulse/Verve due June 15, and a John Coltrane title "Live At The Half Note", again on Impulse due August 24.

Great news! I've always wondered why Alice stopped recording. Didn't need the money? Didn't need the artistic outlet? Burned out?

That Half Note stuff sounds very interesting.

But I'm still waiting for a reissue of the last remaining Coltrane Impulse session not yet reissued on CD: Cosmic Music.

I know Alice's material from this was reissed, but what about Reverend King?

A friend just showed me an LP of this - I've never seen it before. It confused me at first, as I thought it was the material shw overdubbed, but it's not. And we didn't have time to listen. I will check it out next time I go over.

Maybe permission from the King estate is needed?

My recollection is that Cosmic Music was originally released on the (now defunct) Coltrane Records label, so my suspicion is that Alice is holding it up, not that Verve is likely pushing very hard as the two 'Trane tracks are very far out recordings from Om vintage California acid trip sessions. Not exactly Coltrane For Lovers, if you know what I mean.

But if Alice is becoming reconnected to Verve, it may be a very good step towards letting someone go through the tapes - yes, the 66 to 67 stuff particularly - and getting some of the unreleased stuff out.

A friend just showed me an LP of this - I've never seen it before.  It confused me at first, as I thought it was the material shw overdubbed, but it's not. 

That's Infinity, never released on CD in the states.

My recollection is that Cosmic Music was originally released on the (now defunct) Coltrane Records label, so my suspicion is that Alice is holding it up, not that Verve is likely pushing very hard as the two 'Trane tracks are very far out recordings from Om vintage California acid trip sessions. Not exactly Coltrane For Lovers, if you know what I mean.

This was the only album released on the Coltrane label. It was a LP that bore a tag that read 'A Coltrane Recording Corporation Presentation' in a bottom corner of the front cover. The front cover design was enlarged from an original sketch drawn by John Coltrane!

This was the only album released on the Coltrane label. It was a LP that bore a tag that read 'A Coltrane Recording Corporation Presentation' in a bottom corner of the front cover. The front cover design was enlarged from an original sketch drawn by John Coltrane!

Yes, it was Coltrane Music, not Impulse.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't participate in the Coltrane Half Note Tree. But from an interaction that we had on this board, it became clear that the Tree included material from the Half Note that was not on previous bootlegs or listed in David Wild's discography above.

I didn't participate in the Coltrane Half Note Tree. But from an interaction that we had on this board, it became clear that the Tree included material from the Half Note that was not on previous bootlegs or listed in David Wild's discography above.

One of the Half Note dates (3/28/65) in the tree is not in Wild's discography. This is the date with the 20 minute Trane-Elvin duet on "One Up, One Down".

Guy

I have Cosmic Music, but as an Impulse pressing, from the early 70's (black label/orange circle thing). So it was reissued once, but early on?

Yes, that was Impulse AS-9148. There was a German licence on the label of a widespread TV/Radio magazine, too.

David Wild lists four titles recorded at the February 2, 1966 session. They are the only tracks issued on Impulse LP at some time that have not yet been reissued on CD (maybe in Jpan?).

Peace on Earth and Infinity were released posthumously on the Infinity LP AS-9225 (was that an Alice Coltrane LP?).

Manifestation and Reverend King on Cosmic Music. Manifestation also showed up on a Best of compliation on Impulse AS-9223-2, a double LP, so Impulse still should have some tapes.

I guess they either forgot about this session or cannot find a place for the tracks. 40 minutes of music are enouh for me - this is some of the rarest Coltrane.

I have Cosmic Music, but as an Impulse pressing, from the early 70's (black label/orange circle thing).  So it was reissued once, but early on?

Yes, that was Impulse AS-9148. There was a German licence on the label of a widespread TV/Radio magazine, too.

David Wild lists four titles recorded at the February 2, 1966 session. They are the only tracks issued on Impulse LP at some time that have not yet been reissued on CD (maybe in Jpan?).

Peace on Earth and Infinity were released posthumously on the Infinity LP AS-9225 (was that an Alice Coltrane LP?).

Manifestation and Reverend King on Cosmic Music. Manifestation also showed up on a Best of compliation on Impulse AS-9223-2, a double LP, so Impulse still should have some tapes.

I guess they either forgot about this session or cannot find a place for the tracks. 40 minutes of music are enouh for me - this is some of the rarest Coltrane.

Hey, no sweat, Mike, remember I mentioned some surprise disc you'll get some day? ;)

ubu