Let's Hear it for the Byrds

Has anyone read the Gene Clark bio "Mr. Tambourine Man?" It is such a sad story - intense stage fright, distaste for touring and traveling, endless substance abuse. In some ways, he never really got his career into a consistent groove after the Byrds. On the other hand, he made at least 5 really solid albums after the Byrds, created a substantial body of work, and wrote at least 3 tunes that have left a lasting impression, at least on couple of generations of listeners.

I have been listening a lot to the 2-disc "Preflyte Sessions" from 1964, most of which consists of Gene Clark songs - many never recorded for Columbia. While McGuinn's 12-string Rick and Crosby's harmonies in many ways define the Byrds sound, I still contend that Clark's songs were the best material they ever did. That said, "Younger Than Yesterday," recorded after Clark left, is a pop/rock masterpiece. IMHO.

I have the Clark bio - a very interesting read. A great talent, never fulfilled due to personal demons. Fortunately, in addition to his official releases (mostly very good), there's a lot of "grey" material floating around.

My favorite period of the Byrds is the original 5-man lineup with Clark, although I do have a fondness for "Younger Than Yesterday" and "Notorious Byrd Brothers".

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw The Byrds in concert near the end, in the fall of 1972. John Guerin had replaced the fired Gene Parsons on drums. It was an incredible show. White was amazing and it was a tragedy he died so young. The damned pregnant drunk who killed him and injured his older brother Roland didn't even get any jail time (which Roland told me in person a few years ago).

I think Crosby's ego got in the way ("Triad" is a rather lame song in my view), though he did add nice harmonies to the group. The Byrds were uneven at times on some albums and most of Battin's compositions haven't stood the test of time that well. But I really like Untitled/Unissued and even managed to acquire a few live broadcasts of various lineups.

I like that lineup too, and I admit I like the Crosby "features" so to speak the most. Crosby's voice and writing/interpretations always have interested me. I was listening to some bootleg stuff of him rehearsing with the Grateful Dead for a joint appearance. . . enoye it a lot.

Gene Clark could be a good songwriter, though I've always laughed about "Home Run King" and the unrecorded "Hula Bula Man" (from a BBC show broadcast featuring groups led by Clark, Hillman and McGuinn, plus a brief encore reunion, which was eventually issued). The former contained the weak lyrics "You're either just the newspaper boy/Or you're either Babe Ruth, the Home Run King..."

In December I bought myself with some Christmas money the Sony box of their first five albums from an Amazon seller for I think $17 including shipping. The CDs include bonus tracks, although I feel that the tracks which were selected to be included in the original releases were justly chosen.

About 20 years ago I saw Gene Clark sing Byrds songs in Atlanta. He was fronting a summer touring group called The Byrds, but he was the only legit member. He was good.

I love Crosby's contributions too. Have always though that - when focussed - he had an unusual way with a song, using chords that few rock/pop musicians would try (Joni Mitchell did that more consistently). Of course he could also write throwaway stuff...but then so could the other Byrds. So could Neil Young (most of what I've heard in recent years, unfortunately).

The lyrics of 'Triad' make wonderful evidence to chide the male self-absorbtion of the beautiful people. But I rather like its gentle, floaty sound.

I'd place 'If I Only Could Remember My Name' as one of the great albums of the era; though I like many of Clark's songs I've never heard an album by him that holds together as well. But that's probably the direction I came from - CSNY were my entry point. Although I knew the Byrds by some singles I only explored their music in more detail after the era had passed and only became aware of Clark as a separate individual much later.

• 1 month later...

'If I Only Could Remember My Name' as one of the great albums of the era"

Second that. The track Laughing is one of my favorite songs of all time. As a Mill Valley resident while there is indeed a Tamalapis High School for some reason I don't think he is referring to that in Tamalpais High.

The Gene Clark solo album White Light is worth checking out.

I FOUND AN ORIGINAL MONO NOTORIOUS!!! I FOUND AN ORIGINAL MONO NOTORIOUS!!! I FOUND AN ORIGINAL MONO NOTORIOUS!!! I FOUND AN ORIGINAL MONO NOTORIOUS!!! I FOUND AN ORIGINAL MONO NOTORIOUS!!!

FOR ALL OF SIX BUCKS!!!!

(caps lock pounded into the keyboard on purpose)

I FOUND AN ORIGINAL MONO NOTORIOUS!!! I FOUND AN ORIGINAL MONO NOTORIOUS!!! I FOUND AN ORIGINAL MONO NOTORIOUS!!! I FOUND AN ORIGINAL MONO NOTORIOUS!!! I FOUND AN ORIGINAL MONO NOTORIOUS!!!

FOR ALL OF SIX BUCKS!!!!

(caps lock pounded into the keyboard on purpose)

I got mine for three bucks and sold it for much more than that. The stereo version of this one is better, IMHO.

I like all the other ones better in mono, however.

That's cool! I've been wanting to hear this in mono since I read the book about this album in the 33-1/3 Series of books about LPs.

Plus, I just love watching that Columbia label spin! :)

I'm a big mono-phile, in general, but as with the White Album, I think that the work on "Notorius" went into the stereo version and the mono was done quickly.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

That's cool! I've been wanting to hear this in mono since I read the book about this album in the 33-1/3 Series of books about LPs.

Plus, I just love watching that Columbia label spin! :)

I'm a big mono-phile, in general, but as with the White Album, I think that the work on "Notorius" went into the stereo version and the mono was done quickly.

After listening to it, I have to agree. However, the only thing with which I have to compare the mono is the CD reissue, so that might be skewering my opinion.

BUT...... having my favorite Byrds album on MONO VINYL and being able to watch my favorite record "label" spin around in circles made this worth every penny! :g

'If I Only Could Remember My Name' as one of the great albums of the era"

Second that. The track Laughing is one of my favorite songs of all time.

I guess I'll have to try to find that and give it another listen; I gave it a spin back in '78 and wasn't that impressed. But then, in '78 I was listening to Steve Miller's hit machine and Hotel California, so my 'musical' head wasn't on that straight anyway...

Is the "enhanced" 2 CD Sweetheart of the Rodeo worth getting or is the original 1997 reissue just fine.

To answer my own question, get the 2-CD. I got the one CD. Although it sounds great (unless you are Hoffman forum member), it doesn't have all the restored versions of the songs featuring Gram Parsons' lead vocals.

• 4 years later...

"The reputation of Gene Clark’s 1974 album “No Other” — which was initially spurned by its record company and dismissed by critics as overproduced — has been steadily ascending, particularly since an expanded European reissue on CD in 2003. On Saturday and Sunday, “No Other” is to be performed live at Music Hall of Williamsburg, in as close a replica of the original arrangements as 14 musicians and singers can create onstage..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/24/arts/music/an-ex-byrds-album-is-given-new-flight.html?_r=0

Been listening today to the awesome YOUNGER THAN YESTERDAY, which brought me back to this thread. In the meantime a Gene Clark comp has come out, though I find it a tad disappointing; still might be a good pickup for someone interested in his work with the Byrds:Set You Free This TimeI think "Mind Gardens" is pretty cool, actually... and "C.T.A.-102" would've been a decent Byrds tune if they hadn't put in that crappy "alien-speak" part.

I'm a huge Gene Clark fan too. I think any Byrds fan owes it to themselves to get of copy of his album with the Gosdin Brothers or the Echoes compilation that legacy put out (which contains this album plus some other goodies). I'd also recommend the first album by the Dillard and Clark Expedition. This is one of my favorite albums ever. It's one of the reasons I got into bluegrass and play banjo.B00005M9CR.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgI always was a big fan of Crosby in the Byrds. His songs were my favorites. Younger Than Yesterday is great with "Everybody's Been Burned" and I also love Chris Hillman's songs on that album. I think this album is fantastic.I think Younger Than Yesterday and the Notorious Byrds Brothers are the peak for the band. I like most of the stuff of 5D, but I think the two subsequent albums are stronger. I know Crosby's involvement with the NBB was limited, but I think this is my favorite Byrds album.B000002AHC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgAfter Sweetheart of the Rodeo I really stick with the Byrds because of Clarence White's contribution. After the departure of Clark, Crosby and Hillman, McGuinn showed that althought he was the original focal point of the band, he wasn't all the talent. As a guitar player, Clarence White is one of my real heroes. He's been a great influence on my playing and I also play a guitar with a B-String bender like the one he used. I've been listening to his work with the Byrds and the Kentucky Colonials for years and have really enjoyed the compilations put out by Big Beat Records covering the Bakersfield label. It's fun to watch White's growth as an electric guitarist. CW also made a great contribution to Younger Than Yesterday and The Notorious Byrds Brothers.B00008IUWD.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgI think if I've been influenced the most by any band (apart from the Beatles), I'd have to say it was the Byrds. I've been playing 12 string electric guitar since I was sixteen, I play banjo because of the bluegrass influence of the group. I love jazz and it was because of the solo on "Eight Miles High" that I purchased Coltrane's Africa/Brass which had influenced it. The Byrds also were my door into loving country music. It's pretty amazing when I look back at the influence they've had on me. r_smile.gif

I completely agree about Clarence White. Just a tremendous player. You probably know that guitar great Tony Rice inherited White's Martin D28. When they first emerged the Kentucky Colonels took the bluegrass world by storm, with White's playing providing a model for the guitar as a lead instrument in the music like it had never been used before.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
7 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Just arrived in the mail!51lSrXhhRbL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've had that book for probably ten years and I've yet to read it.  I need to get off the dime.  In any and all of their iterations, The Byrds were as good a band as anyone ever put together.  I was lucky enough to have seen them twice.  Once early on with Clark and Crosby and later with Clarence White.  

9 hours ago, Dave James said:

I've had that book for probably ten years and I've yet to read it.  I need to get off the dime.  In any and all of their iterations, The Byrds were as good a band as anyone ever put together.  I was lucky enough to have seen them twice.  Once early on with Clark and Crosby and later with Clarence White.  

That book is quite a "tome," as Hardbop used to put it years ago.  So cool that you saw those particular configurations--especially the Clark and Crosby one!