Which is your favorite Hank record from the 60's

Hardbopjazz

Which is your favorite Hank record from the 60's?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

d34048751fw.jpg

Not even a choice in the poll, but Third Season is my favorite, without a doubt. Love the three-horn front-line, with Lee Morgan and James Spaulding, plus Sonny Greenwich plays some mean guitar, and Cedar Walton, Walter Booker, and Billy Higgins make a great rhythm-section. :w:tup:tup:tup:party:

Yeah, you can only fit 10. I wanted this on eon the list.

If I was forced to live the rest of my life with only one recording of Hank Mobley, leader or sideman, this would be it, and it would take me less than a second to make the call.

Dippin' huh? Please elucidate. Please.

It's all of Hank rolled into one, and the band is rolled in there with him.

I listened to Soul Station and Roll Call just yesterday by coincidence.

Soul Station is a disc that I never heard what the big deal was, but each time I listen it gets better and better.

I've got most all of these (no Slice of the Top) and the Mobley I reach for most is Roll Call.

If I was forced to live the rest of my life with only one recording of Hank Mobley, leader or sideman, this would be it, and it would take me less than a second to make the call.

Dippin' huh? Please elucidate. Please.

It's all of Hank rolled into one, and the band is rolled in there with him.

I dig Mabern on Dippin'! :wub:

It's nice to see this album mentioned. :D

Roll Call for me but it was close with Soul Station.

I was surprised to see Reach Out on the poll. I think it's weak. I was also surprised not to see Straight No Filter. Great disc in my opinion.

Another candidate not on here is the session he co-led with Cedar Walton.

I was surprised to see Reach Out on the poll.

I really like 4/6ths of the tunes on "Reach Out", but most of the other discs listed in this poll are probably more important. For me, the reason to have and like "Reach Out" is Woody being on the date. If it weren't for him, I'd be a little less sweet on it.

In a way, hard choice. My head tells me that there are so many good ones listed here!

My heart made me immediately pick Soul Station though. Hank unadorned with another horn just putting it all out there, perhaps a dream rhythm section. . . this one WORKED.

Soul Station is indeed a classic, but I had to pick Roll Call- one of my first Blue Notes and just a great session I keep going back to listen to (even more than SS)......probably 'cause I'm a Freddie fan.

Sentimental value, I guess. Although if I wanted to list just one recording that best defines the essence of hardbop it would probably be RC. A great blend of gospel, post-bop and early soul.