Which is your favorite Hank record from the 60's

Hardbopjazz

Which is your favorite Hank record from the 60's?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like "Soul Station", but I picked "Roll Call" as it also has Freddie Hubbard (otherwise I would have gone for the quartet one). But there are several other great albums.

The JRVG of "Roll Call" has a very lively sound. This is partly because Rudy recorded very "hot" at that time, of course. I haven't heard the more recent NONJ-RVG.

I listened to Soul Station and Roll Call just yesterday by coincidence.

Well, I must say, I listened to Hank yesterday. It was his 1950's stuff (Caffe Bohemia date). And it was by coincidence, also.

And it clicked in me!

I am honest - it clicked yesterday!

Don't know how, don't know why - but he certainly was one of them greatest!

And, when I became to realize that - two Mobley's thread turned out.

It is not coincidence. :)

Edited by mmilovan

Guest ariceffron

you guys are all crazy everyone knows hanks best lp and prob his personal favorite 2nd to SLICE if i had to make a guess based on live recordings, is DIPPIN'. WHy is no one voting for Dippin. come on. the composistions on that were really out of control, more so than his other albums- ive think theyve had more of an affect on hard bop than a lot of his others

I had to vote for Soul Station - it was the first album that made me really love his playing, I still know several of his solos on this by heart.

I dig most of them, but the Turnaround/No Room For Squares/Straight No Filter group of four sessions stands out to me, as a whole, and in chronological order. Where Soul Station announced his early 1960's comeback, these sessions announced his setting sails for new shores.

Agreed, but I still voted!

And I voted A SLICE OF THE TOP...although mostly because it needs to get more respect. Any number of his 60's recordings are among the finest anyone's waxed - SOUL STATION, ROLL CALL, NO ROOM FOR SQUARES, DIPPIN', and SLICE are probably my faves. WORKOUT may get my vote for most overrated - quite good, for sure, but for some reason it's just not one that I want to hear real often (maybe a bit too much in the "classic hard bop mold," and thus a little lighter in terms of Hank leaving his usual distinctive stamp).

• 6 months later...

This morning, I am spinning Mobley's "Another Workout". I love this date. It blows my mind that it sat in the vaults for so many years. The tempos are perfectly suited to Hank and he blows lazily behind the beat in the most hip fashion. Philly Joe is in prime form. The echoes off his kit are pure Philly... I would know it was Philly after two drum beats. As for Wynton Kelly, man, he comps so well on this date. I love the trills he adds to "Gettin' and Jettin'". All in all a fun, swingin' date for the Hankster.

Later,

Kevin

A very tough choice for me, not having heard all of his sixties output. Of the albums I have, I'd probably pick either ROLL CALL or SOUL STATION, depending on my mood; those two just have a certain swing and bouncy happiness (not to mention beautiful playing by all involved), that I find uplifting. Soulful hardbop at its finest.

Still perplexed at the lack of love for DIPPIN'...

I like "Dippin'" a lot but there's no way it could supplant "Soul Station" as my favorite Mobley date. "Soul Station" has it all... the players, the tunes and flat out great Hank. "Soul Station" is my favorite Jazz date period. I listem to it constantly, but especially when I need a pick-me-up.

Later,

Kevin

Still perplexed at the lack of love for DIPPIN'...

I still haven't gotten around to getting this one yet, Jim. I know you dig it mightily, though, and that's reason enough for me to grab it.

Kevin - I haven't heard DIPPIN', but doesn't it have basically all of the same ingredients that you list for SOUL STATION (ie. players, tunes, etc.)? It has Lee, Billy Higgins, and other BN stalwarts; from what Jim has said, the tunes are also excellent, something you would expect from an expert writer like Hank.

Edited by pryan

I think that DIPPIN' is where Hank begins to go into his final, somewhat more confrontational and darker period. It's still "upbeat", but far from "sunny". You couldn't pull a knife to SOUL STATION, but you could to DIPPIN'. Not that you'd want to. But you could.

SOUL STATION is the sound of daytime, so to speak. DIPPIN' is more of a night thing.

Love 'em both, but when it's time to cut to the chase, gimme the night. That's just who I am.

But your mileage may vary, as they say, and w/only four :blink: votes, it obviously does!