Sheila Jordan

cliffpeterson

Heard her last night in Kingston celebrating her 93rd birthday. Harvey S on bass and Alan Broadbent on piano. Sheila moved without help from a device, e.g., cane, or a person.  Concert was about 80 minutes.  She left the stage for 10 minutes to sit on a couch while Alan and Harvey did their thing.  Sheila stood while she sang and when she did not, she saw on a chair.  Pretty impressive.  Still had some vocal range and man she could still phrase and scat. 

Excellent, thanks for the report.

I knew of the event, but Covid infections have been going batshit in Ulster County (where I'm a resident and Kingston is located), worse than last year at this time - see https://covid19.ulstercountyny.gov/dashboard/

Even though I'm vaccinated and got a booster 6 days ago, I've been chickening out of concerts and crowded venues.

1 hour ago, cliffpeterson said:

Heard her last night in Kingston celebrating her 93rd birthday. Harvey S on bass and Alan Broadbent on piano. Sheila moved without help from a device, e.g., cane, or a person.  Concert was about 80 minutes.  She left the stage for 10 minutes to sit on a couch while Alan and Harvey did their thing.  Sheila stood while she sang and when she did not, she saw on a chair.  Pretty impressive.  Still had some vocal range and man she could still phrase and scat. 

I was there too! It was superb. Have my booster scheduled for this week.

Sheila Jordan is incredible. I saw her once in a Western Canadian club in the depths of a severe Winter when it was blowing a blizzard and sub -30C outside. She seemed totally unfazed and was very warm in her stage manner. That was with Harvie S. too. Long may she continue gracing our stages.

Edited by sidewinder

• 1 year later...

Sheila will be performing at the Mad Monkfish in Boston on December 16th. As an added bonus, she will have Yoko Miwa's great piano trio backing her. There will be a 7:00 & 9:00 show.

Try to buy tickets early and get a table near the stage. The Mad Monkfish is a restaurant as well as a jazz bar, so not everyone there is into the music - if you get my drift.

I wish I could make it. I have a prior commitment.

• 1 year later...