Buck Hammer

mikeweil

On 1/27/2022 at 8:03 PM, JSngry said:

IIRC, the Buck Hammer/Mary Ann Jackson duets we're the inspiration for the Mary Lou Williams/Cecil Taylor concert?

Hammer and Jackson had more human warmth together than Taylor and Williams did.

I have come to appreciate that record after finding out that Williams was a bit, uh, homophobic or something about Taylor in general. It seems that she might have been "playing the game under protest" and then proceeded to indeed protest. And thus a narrative was created.

Love them both, but it looks like it was not necessarily an act of good faith, that gig. I dunno...

54 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I have come to appreciate that record after finding out that Williams was a bit, uh, homophobic or something about Taylor in general. It seems that she might have been "playing the game under protest" and then proceeded to indeed protest. And thus a narrative was created.

Love them both, but it looks like it was not necessarily an act of good faith, that gig. I dunno...

Interesting, I've heard it the other way, that Taylor was the one opposed to it, and that he did not try to meld with Williams.  Nonetheless, a very fascinating listen, though not a "together" one.

I also heard a version where Taylor was opposed to the meeting b/c of Williams' attitudes but went ahead with it anyway hoping to magically heal her spirit.

In the end, neither one needed the other in the least, but there they were anyway.

I can tell you this, though - Cecil's playing contains more than a little love for Williams' type of playing, if not for her person. Williams, in the meantime...check out "A Fungus Amungus" and her composer notes about it. Can't say she was a dewy-eyed innocent here...but you know, warriors gonna warrior, all of them.

1 minute ago, Dub Modal said:

Man, that's also apropos because the Sabbath guys were all jazz fans. Well, Ozzy wasn't I don't think but Geezer, Bill and Tommy most certainly were. 

I didn't know that. not sure I heard too much Jazz influence but it's been a while since my Sabbath years

2 hours ago, bresna said:

Is this a modern day version of Buck Hammer?

a3615648750_10.jpg

The back cover tells the "story":

0024069628_10.jpg

That's just brilliant. Kudos all round, great story too

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I didn't know that. not sure I heard too much Jazz influence but it's been a while since my Sabbath years

I've read Ozzy telling a story that when he went into rehearsals with the band prior to the recording of Never Say Die (I think that's the one), they guys were jamming out playing jazz. Ozzy was pissed, saying he came to rock, not fool around with jazz. Other interviews I've read with Ward and maybe the other guys talk about them loving some jazz of the day. I agree, one doesn't necessarily hear much influence, but apparently the love for it was there. 

1 minute ago, Dub Modal said:

I've read Ozzy telling a story that when he went into rehearsals with the band prior to the recording of Never Say Die (I think that's the one), they guys were jamming out playing jazz. Ozzy was pissed, saying he came to rock, not fool around with jazz. Other interviews I've read with Ward and maybe the other guys talk about them loving some jazz of the day. I agree, one doesn't necessarily hear much influence, but apparently the love for it was there. 

A lot of those British rockers from that era were listening to Jazz in their earlier years so I'm not surprised really. I am definitely going to listen to Jazz Sabbath this weekend though

1 minute ago, mjazzg said:

A lot of those British rockers from that era were listening to Jazz in their earlier years so I'm not surprised really. I am definitely going to listen to Jazz Sabbath this weekend though

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/black-sabbath-jazz-swing-influence-bill-ward-948231/

This link talks mainly about Ward's jazz influences but it's a good read overall. And yeah, I'm with you on checking out Jazz Sabbath lol. 

21 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/black-sabbath-jazz-swing-influence-bill-ward-948231/

This link talks mainly about Ward's jazz influences but it's a good read overall. And yeah, I'm with you on checking out Jazz Sabbath lol. 

It's on Bandcamp right now. I found it when searching to see if there was something to buy for Bandcamp Friday, when all of the profits go to the artists. I thought it was funny as hell.

BTW - the music is actually pretty good.

Pianist Milton Keanes is really Sabbath's current keyboard player, Adam Wakeman... oh, hey... wow. He's Rick Wakeman's son. Did not know about him at all.

Edited by bresna