Pepper Adams with the Tommy Banks Trio - Live at Room at the Top

Kevin Bresnahan

On Record Store Day (4/23/2022), Reel To Reel is releasing a live recording of Pepper Adams with the Tommy Banks Trio titled "Live at Room at the Top". Blurb here: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14738

Only 1000 copies being pressed and I am not standing in those asinine RSD lines so I guess I'll have to see if any are left TDARSD (the day after Record Store Day) or wait for the CD release. Does anyone know if the CD release will have more material?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/broadtime_thumbnails/430/418466435430/418466435430%3A800.jpg

Edited by bresna

Amazon shows the cd release as two cds with 100 minutes total so I would say the answer is "yes."

The two cd edition includes two additional performances: Time On My Hands and
Stella By Starlight.

Edited by jazzbo

Like that cover. Kind of an atypical shot, angle, and cropping.  Really highlights the ‘pipe-work’ neck of the bari, which — absent the rest of the horn — is even more atypical than usual.

Not an instant purchase for me, but if the reports are good, I might spring for the CD’s.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Amazon shows the cd release as two cds with 100 minutes total so I would say the answer is "yes."

The two cd edition includes two additional performances: Time On My Hands and
Stella By Starlight.

Interesting. There have reports in the past that record labels have all agreed from now on that CD versions and LP versions must match exactly.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Tommy Banks? Who is that?

Canadian pianist and arranger who was based in Alberta and very active in Canadian broadcasting.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Yes, that’s him. I saw him a few times, at least once backing Judi Singh I think.

"This is the first release from Vasey’s rich tape archive in Edmonton, Alberta."

Color me unimpressed.

I mean, I like Pepper Adams just fine but backed by an obscure piano trio, and 18+ minute tracks?  I hope the "rich tape archive" has more exciting recordings than this to come.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I mean, I like Pepper Adams just fine but backed by an obscure piano trio, and 18+ minute tracks?  

Agreed.  I used to own "Live In Europe" on Impro.  Pepper's backed by piano (Georges Arvanitas), bass (Jacky Samson), and drums (Charles Saudrais).  Only 4 tracks, with timings 10:50, 14:29, 15:12 and 10:08.  It's a hard slog.  Pepper's a great improvisor, but it's hard to maintain interest over such lengths with just a baritone sax and piano as melodic instruments.

OC0yMTkxLmpwZWc.jpeg

This is a GREAT record. But look at the rhythm section, in terms of both individual quality and collective familiarity.

This is not a soloist with a pickup rhythm section. This is an ongoing partnership, It sounds like a real group.

MS0xNDQ0LmpwZWc.jpeg

NS04MjQwLmpwZWc.jpeg

I do miss an extra horn, but only on the heads, for ensemble color.

22 hours ago, JSngry said:

This is a GREAT record. But look at the rhythm section, in terms of both individual quality and collective familiarity.

This is not a soloist with a pickup rhythm section. This is an ongoing partnership, It sounds like a real group.

MS0xNDQ0LmpwZWc.jpeg

This LP -- with the same band, except for Jabali instead of Mel Lewis -- is similarly excellent, IMHO.

MS0zMzgxLmpwZWc.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 2022/4/2 at 9:44 PM, bresna said:

On Record Store Day (4/23/2022), Reel To Reel is releasing a live recording of Pepper Adams with the Tommy Banks Trio titled "Live at Room at the Top". Blurb here: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/14738

Only 1000 copies being pressed and I am not standing in those asinine RSD lines so I guess I'll have to see if any are left TDARSD (the day after Record Store Day) or wait for the CD release. Does anyone know if the CD release will have more material?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/broadtime_thumbnails/430/418466435430/418466435430%3A800.jpg

Now available on Spotify .I thought the one-horn baritone saxophone quartet might be monotonous, but this is very powerful, swingy, and enjoyable. The rhythm section is not so imaginative but solid.  Highly recommended.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6bjUgLGgIZKeCeWRogVFoM?si=avwIz2HHQlidS0T3BsARIQ

Edited by mhatta

I remember hearing Tommy Banks on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz. She was great about seeking out pianists from Canada and England for her show, many of whom weren't all that well known to US jazz fans. I've got the show somewhere in the stacks of cassettes that I dubbed during that era.

Is is me, or does it seem like Pepper Adams is squeaking his reed a bit more than usual?

4 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I remember hearing Tommy Banks on Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz. She was great about seeking out pianists from Canada and England for her show, many of whom weren't all that well known to US jazz fans. I've got the show somewhere in the stacks of cassettes that I dubbed during that era.

Is is me, or does it seem like Pepper Adams is squeaking his reed a bit more than usual?

He does seem to squeak a little more often than expected (there's nothing like a baritone squeak), but I kind of enjoy it in that live setting. Sure keeps a listener alert, plus it indicates that Pepper was really going for broke and not just going through the motions.