BFT #219

Dub Modal

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve head Track 6 before, I’m sure of it — but can’t immediately place it. Nathan Davis perhaps?

Track 11 sounds like something I may have heard (or even have) — possibly from one of those ‘Spiritual Jazz’ comps on the Jazzman label (out of the UK)..

18 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Nice. Yes on both. 

The Jordan track was recorded in June ‘61. Bonus points if you can name the track. It’s actually one that Dothan recorded just a few months earlier for one of his BN albums. 

That would be ‘Sunrise in Mexico’. A Dorham composition which is also on ‘Whistle Stop’.

1. I'm thinking Jackie McLean with Charles Tolliver.  Yes that sounds an awful lot like a tenor, but Jackie always did.
2. Brandee Younger?  Not a lot of harp between Dorothy Ashby and her that wasn't played by Alice Coltrane.
3. Nice open trio concept similar in feel to later Ahmad Jamal, but I don't think it's Ahmad.  That's a lot of bass, makes me think of Buster Williams so maybe Kenny Barron
4. In a Sentimental Mood.  Earl Hines did a couple of wonderful Duke Ellington solo collections, but this feels a little to modern to be the Fatha.  Let's try Tommy Flanagan.
5. Nice panorama of earlier jazz styles.  When I think of who could do this and who would do this, I come up with Duke Ellington.
6. Very pleasant.  Sonny Fortune?
7. Synthesizer in the mix here.  Not Hancock or George Duke, too laid back.  Maybe Paul Bley?
8. Boy that sounds like Dewey Redman.  Until it starts sounding like later Albert Ayler - like Live in Grenwich Village
9.  Even more like Ahmad Jamal.  I think this is a tune associated with him.
10. ECM Gary Burton and Steve Swallow?  with Pat Metheny?
11. I think it's Pharaoh, even though those records with Michael White had a widespread influence, and it could be later.
12. Grooves so nicely that you have to pay sharp attention to convince yourself it's actually solo piano.  A hint of gospel.  No real clue, I'll throw out Stanley Cowell as a guess.

10 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

That would be ‘Sunrise in Mexico’. A Dorham composition which is also on ‘Whistle Stop’.

Bingo. I slightly prefer this version over that first one, mainly due to how funky Albert Heath gets around that 4 minute mark. 

19 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I’ve head Track 6 before, I’m sure of it — but can’t immediately place it. Nathan Davis perhaps?

Track 11 sounds like something I may have heard (or even have) — possibly from one of those ‘Spiritual Jazz’ comps on the Jazzman label (out of the UK)..

Yep on Nathan Davis. Good ears! Bonus if you can name the tune/album. 

I’m not sure if 11 is on any comp. This came from the album proper. 

3 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Bingo. I slightly prefer this version over that first one, mainly due to how funky Albert Heath gets around that 4 minute mark. 

I’m not sure if 11 is on any comp. This came from the album proper. 

The Nathan Davis track is a Jimmy Woode composition ‘Sconsolato’ I think. Don’t know this version, I am more familiar with the version by the Clarke/Boland Sextet on ‘Swing Im Bahnhof’.

15 minutes ago, randyhersom said:

1. I'm thinking Jackie McLean with Charles Tolliver.  Yes that sounds an awful lot like a tenor, but Jackie always did.
2. Brandee Younger?  Not a lot of harp between Dorothy Ashby and her that wasn't played by Alice Coltrane.
3. Nice open trio concept similar in feel to later Ahmad Jamal, but I don't think it's Ahmad.  That's a lot of bass, makes me think of Buster Williams so maybe Kenny Barron
4. In a Sentimental Mood.  Earl Hines did a couple of wonderful Duke Ellington solo collections, but this feels a little to modern to be the Fatha.  Let's try Tommy Flanagan.
5. Nice panorama of earlier jazz styles.  When I think of who could do this and who would do this, I come up with Duke Ellington.
6. Very pleasant.  Sonny Fortune?
7. Synthesizer in the mix here.  Not Hancock or George Duke, too laid back.  Maybe Paul Bley?
8. Boy that sounds like Dewey Redman.  Until it starts sounding like later Albert Ayler - like Live in Grenwich Village
9.  Even more like Ahmad Jamal.  I think this is a tune associated with him.
10. ECM Gary Burton and Steve Swallow?  with Pat Metheny?
11. I think it's Pharaoh, even though those records with Michael White had a widespread influence, and it could be later.
12. Grooves so nicely that you have to pay sharp attention to convince yourself it's actually solo piano.  A hint of gospel.  No real clue, I'll throw out Stanley Cowell as a guess.

Correct on Younger for track 2. Can you name her partner here? 

Track 4 is Sentimental Mood, but it’s not Flanagan. 

Rooster Ties just got the leader for 6, so not Fortune although I dig many of his albums. 

For 7, good call on the synth but it’s not Bley….but Bley is indeed elsewhere in this BFT! 

Track 9 isn’t Jamal and if this song is associated with him then I’m ignorant of that. 

10 is Burton with Swallow & Metheny! Nice work Randy! I’m betting you can get track & album here as well. 

Other guesses off the mark but impressive nonetheless. 

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

The Nathan Davis track is a Jimmy Woode composition ‘Sconsolato’ I think. Don’t know this version, I am more familiar with the version by the Clarke/Boland Sextet on ‘Swing Im Bahnhof’.

Correct. Although I’m not familiar with the Clarke/Boland version. Thanks for the lead on that, I’ll have to check it out. 

2 minutes ago, BillF said:

Track 9: "Poinciana"?

Negative. Although if it’s built on those changes I’m not aware. 

10 minutes ago, BillF said:

Track 4: Ellington's "In a Sentimental Mood" or, as a local musician would have it, "In a semi-mental mood".:)

Yes ‘tis. One of my favorite compositions. Any thoughts on who the player is?

57 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Nathan Davis' soprano playing (at least in the 60's) is instantly recognizable to me -- even from what little I've heard (just 3 albums).  AFAIK, practically nobody plays soprano with both that degree of sweetness and seemingly perfect intonation (or if anybody else did, I'm not aware).  I'm not a big soprano fan (though I love Wayne Shorter's ideas enough that I'm fine with his playing) -- and Nathan is one of the only soprano players whose tone doesn't bother me.  It's like his playing is on a whole 'nother plane.

Helped that I own the album it's from (one of the bonus tracks from Peace Treaty), but even if I hadn't ever heard it before, I think Nathan would have still been my first guess.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

4 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Nathan Davis' soprano playing (at least in the 60's) is instantly recognizable to me -- even from what little I've heard (just 3 albums).  AFAIK, practically nobody plays soprano with both that degree of sweetness and seemingly perfect intonation (or if anybody else did, I'm not aware).  I'm not a big soprano fan (though I love Wayne Shorter's ideas enough that I'm fine with his playing) -- and Nathan is one of the only soprano players whose tone doesn't bother me.  It's like his playing is on a whole 'nother plane.

Helped that I own the album it's from (one of the bonus tracks from Peace Treaty), but even if I hadn't ever heard it before, I think Nathan would have still been my first guess.

Very cool. I dug this track from the first time I heard it. There’s 2 versions of it on Peace Treaty. The other one has Woody Shaw playing on it as well, and while I like that one too, this one is just a bit better to my ears. I really like the subtle guitar as well on this one. 

1 –  Great stuff.  Has the vibe of a good early 60’s Blue Note, though it’s probably from later.  Not sure on any of the specific musicians, but would love to have it on my shelves.  No doubt this will be ID’d quickly by one of our experts.

2 – Certainly sounds like Alice Coltrane, or someone very talented who listened closely to her.  I guess it could also be Dorothy Ashby.  In fact, I would lean toward Ashby due to the cleanness of the lines.  Whatever it is, I love it.  If it is someone other than those two, I’ll need to go exploring.

3 – Third winner in a row, well done! 

4 – Dude can play, but sort of puts me to sleep.  Well known standard, “In a Sentimental Mood”.

5 – Assuming some sort of ancient Ellington.  I can “appreciate” something like this, but it’s not something I’d ever want to play for enjoyment.

6 – I like this quite a bit.  There is some sort of flutter at the beginning of this track and track #7.

7 – Pretty enough, fades into background.

8 – Albert Ayler, or someone who worships him.  Sounds like amateur hour to me, I have no real patience for this sort of thing.  Haven’t decided yet if I think Ayler was legit or a fraud.  Some of each at times, I suspect.

9 – “Famingo”.  Can’t stand the drummer/time/rhythm, which ruins the whole cut for me.  The pianist is really good.

1 0 – It’s a nice cut, and keeps my attention, but just sort of floats there and doesn’t seem to really go anywhere.  But it sounds good, and I wouldn’t mind having it around and hearing it once in a while.

11 – I like this, some of that Pharoah Sanders Impulse feel to it.  I like the feel of guitar instead of piano on this, and I’m guessing that’s Michael White on violin.

12 – The pianist loves those early Keith Jarrett ECM solo albums.  Except this sounds like an actual composition.  Certainly it’s pretty, feels much more like new age to me than jazz.

Thanks, good Wednesday afternoon listen.  Very much looking forward to ID’s on 1/2/3/6/10/11.  And that’s 50%, a great batting average as far as these things go.

54 minutes ago, felser said:

1 –  Great stuff.  Has the vibe of a good early 60’s Blue Note, though it’s probably from later.  Not sure on any of the specific musicians, but would love to have it on my shelves.  No doubt this will be ID’d quickly by one of our experts. @sidewinder called this one immediately, as did @BillF

2 – Certainly sounds like Alice Coltrane, or someone very talented who listened closely to her.  I guess it could also be Dorothy Ashby.  In fact, I would lean toward Ashby due to the cleanness of the lines.  Whatever it is, I love it.  If it is someone other than those two, I’ll need to go exploring. @randyhersom got the artist correct with Brandee Younger. Album/song not named yet, but yeah, she's got a lot of good songs out there that are very much worth exploring. 

3 – Third winner in a row, well done! Glad you're liking these man. The only theme here is basically "Tracks I dig, and I hope yall enjoy them too" 

4 – Dude can play, but sort of puts me to sleep.  Well known standard, “In a Sentimental Mood”. Song correct and I figured this would be named quickly. I thought it would be interesting to get guesses on the pianist. They're a legend, but don't seem to be talked about much. 

5 – Assuming some sort of ancient Ellington.  I can “appreciate” something like this, but it’s not something I’d ever want to play for enjoyment. ID'd by sidewinder s a Lunceford song. I love several things about this track: the bari, the guitar and how they play the whole composition. It's got swagger and 'tude. 

6 – I like this quite a bit.  There is some sort of flutter at the beginning of this track and track #7. I'm blaming the CD-R/burner for that. These tracks play well on my source, but transfer proved an issue. This song was ID'd by sidewinder (again!) and @Rooster_Ties as a Nathan Davis track. 

7 – Pretty enough, fades into background. It's got a real laid back vibe for sure. 

8 – Albert Ayler, or someone who worships him.  Sounds like amateur hour to me, I have no real patience for this sort of thing.  Haven’t decided yet if I think Ayler was legit or a fraud.  Some of each at times, I suspect. Ayler influence big time but not him here. I struggle with, but still enjoy Ayler but I have to be in the mood for it. 

9 – “Famingo”.  Can’t stand the drummer/time/rhythm, which ruins the whole cut for me.  The pianist is really good. Spot on with "Flamingo"! And the drummer is a highlight for me  :lol:

1 0 – It’s a nice cut, and keeps my attention, but just sort of floats there and doesn’t seem to really go anywhere.  But it sounds good, and I wouldn’t mind having it around and hearing it once in a while. This one rewards repeats 

11 – I like this, some of that Pharoah Sanders Impulse feel to it.  I like the feel of guitar instead of piano on this, and I’m guessing that’s Michael White on violin. Not Michael White. Agree totally on the guitar. 

12 – The pianist loves those early Keith Jarrett ECM solo albums.  Except this sounds like an actual composition.  Certainly it’s pretty, feels much more like new age to me than jazz. I like how Jarrett plays but can't really listen to his records for the vocalizing. So when others play that style without that getting in the way I'm in. 

Thanks, good Wednesday afternoon listen.  Very much looking forward to ID’s on 1/2/3/6/10/11.  And that’s 50%, a great batting average as far as these things go. 1, 2, 6, and 11 all ID'd. Glad you enjoyed it and your takes were cool to read.

#10 is "Midwestern Nights Dream" composed by Metheny.  This version appears to be from a bootleg (official?) Gary Burton album.

Two names that come to mind on #11 are George Adams and David Murray.

Would #12 be Paul Bley?  I'm saying it mostly because you mentioned Bley was on the BFT.

Edited by Milestones

48 minutes ago, Milestones said:

#10 is "Midwestern Nights Dream" composed by Metheny.  This version appears to be from a bootleg (official?) Gary Burton album.

Two names that come to mind on #11 are George Adams and David Murray.

Would #12 be Paul Bley?  I'm saying it mostly because you mentioned Bley was on the BFT.

Correct on the song title for 10. Nice work. 

Metheny’s original is on Bright Size Life which was recorded in December of ‘75. This one comes from an official Burton album recorded a little while later and has the original song title in parentheses. Maybe since they altered it a bit they slightly changed the title? I like both versions but prefer this one as I think it's a little more developed. 

No George Adams nor David Murray for 11. And Bley is here but not track 12. 

late to this, as usual there'll be hardly any IDs just impressions. I haven't read previous posts

Track 1. Love it, has nice tinge of experimentalism. Suspect it may be older than I initially think it is. Love the bass lines and the drummer. No idea who this is but I definitely want to know. Great start.

Track 2.  'Gospel Trane' by Brandee Younger & Dezron Douglas from their International Anthem album https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/album/force-majeure an overall delightful listen. Very nice to see it on a BFT

Track 3. More fabulous music, is this Gary Peacock and Masabumi Kikuchi from one of Peacock's Japanese releases. I'm pretty sure I have this so if I'm wrong I'll hide my head in shame

Track 4. - my first thought was Paul Bley then I wasn't sure. It's someone who's listened to Bley

Track 5. - way out of my listening zone. Fun though

Track 6. - this is great. The guitar is making me think Europe for some reason but I can't think of a European horn player that sounds like that so I'm going US expat in Europe. Maybe Nathan Davis?

Track 7. - I've heard this before and may even have it. If not, I want it. I'm thinking youngish pianist with a bit of an R&B feel. Surely not sneaking in some Glasper (kind of hope so). Like the keyboards. Decided I haven't got it

Track 8. - Now this should be right in my zone but something's holding me back on initial listen. I don't know it, did Billy Bang do an Ayler tribute? Not that I'm aware of. But I'm not convinced it's Bang. Like it more by the end. Will be interested to know who this is

Track 9 - leaves me cold I'm afraid. Like the drummer

Track 10 - Is that Eberhard Weber? An earlier ECM perhaps. So Gary Burton comes to mind as I don't think it's Naura. Strong chance I have this one. now the guitar's arrived, that's Metheny. So Metheny/Burton, first Metheny on ECM or if it is weber/Burton/Metheny then Burton's 'Ring'?  It's nailed down lovely whatever

Track 11 - Ok, so another that hits the spot first off for me. I feel I should know this but the sax player's definitely eluding me. Another really good rhythm section on this, not too taken by the guitar. Style-wise it sounds like something recorded on CJR, like the Frank Lowe's but not them or on black saint or Silkheart. Intrigued to know who this is. It's not David Murray but it almost should be if that makes any sense. 

Track 12 - not a big fan of solo piano generally (I know, take me outside and shoot me now) and especially not Mr Jarrett's which this is very akin to, to my ears although it does have a bit more bite to it. 

This BFT is a great listen, thank you for putting it together Dub Modal. Familiar enough in places to tempt me to an ID and unfamiliar enough to make me look forward to some IDs for follow-up listening.

Now, I'm going to read all the previous posts and see how wide of the mark I've been (apart from the Brandee Younger which I am very confident about :rolleyes:)

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

late to this, as usual there'll be hardly any IDs just impressions. I haven't read previous posts

Track 1. Love it, has nice tinge of experimentalism. Suspect it may be older than I initially think it is. Love the bass lines and the drummer. No idea who this is but I definitely want to know. Great start.

Track 2.  'Gospel Trane' by Brandee Younger & Dezron Douglas from their International Anthem album https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/album/force-majeure an overall delightful listen. Very nice to see it on a BFT 

Track 3. More fabulous music, is this Gary Peacock and Masabumi Kikuchi from one of Peacock's Japanese releases. I'm pretty sure I have this so if I'm wrong I'll hide my head in shame

Track 4. - my first thought was Paul Bley then I wasn't sure. It's someone who's listened to Bley

Track 5. - way out of my listening zone. Fun though

Track 6. - this is great. The guitar is making me think Europe for some reason but I can't think of a European horn player that sounds like that so I'm going US expat in Europe. Maybe Nathan Davis?

Track 7. - I've heard this before and may even have it. If not, I want it. I'm thinking youngish pianist with a bit of an R&B feel. Surely not sneaking in some Glasper (kind of hope so). Like the keyboards. Decided I haven't got it

Track 8. - Now this should be right in my zone but something's holding me back on initial listen. I don't know it, did Billy Bang do an Ayler tribute? Not that I'm aware of. But I'm not convinced it's Bang. Like it more by the end. Will be interested to know who this is

Track 9 - leaves me cold I'm afraid. Like the drummer

Track 10 - Is that Eberhard Weber? An earlier ECM perhaps. So Gary Burton comes to mind as I don't think it's Naura. Strong chance I have this one. now the guitar's arrived, that's Metheny. So Metheny/Burton, first Metheny on ECM or if it is weber/Burton/Metheny then Burton's 'Ring'?  It's nailed down lovely whatever

Track 11 - Ok, so another that hits the spot first off for me. I feel I should know this but the sax player's definitely eluding me. Another really good rhythm section on this, not too taken by the guitar. Style-wise it sounds like something recorded on CJR, like the Frank Lowe's but not them or on black saint or Silkheart. Intrigued to know who this is. It's not David Murray but it almost should be if that makes any sense. 

Track 12 - not a big fan of solo piano generally (I know, take me outside and shoot me now) and especially not Mr Jarrett's which this is very akin to, to my ears although it does have a bit more bite to it. 

This BFT is a great listen, thank you for putting it together Dub Modal. Familiar enough in places to tempt me to an ID and unfamiliar enough to make me look forward to some IDs for follow-up listening.

Now, I'm going to read all the previous posts and see how wide of the mark I've been (apart from the Brandee Younger which I am very confident about :rolleyes:)

Thanks for giving an ear! 

Spot on for the Brandee Younger track for #2. I really like that duo album she and Douglas did. 

Partial credit for #3 as Peacock is on bass. But no Kikuchi. 

For #4, I think this player was around before Bley actually. 

Bingo on Nathan Davis for track 6. Good ears on the Euro guitarist!

Not Glasper on 7 but I'm pretty sure you know who this is...

Not Bang on 8...another one I think you could ultimately figure out though...

Interesting the takes that #9 is getting. This is a leader that recorded a lot and of their studio work, I really like this cut and album.

You've pretty much got #10 in terms of personnel. Find that Burton album with the song @Milestones named and you've got it. 

Glad you like 11...probably another you're familiar with.

12 is outside of my normal zone but it floored me from first listen. 

Glad you enjoyed it overall! I enjoyed reading your takes.