Helping Mosaic by Suggesting Artists and Sets, Part Deux

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I suggested a complete set of Grant Green's Club Mozambique material, as that single disc is so damn funky.  Unfortunately, they only had a bunch of rough mixes and not the complete set of tapes and Bob Belden selected the best takes.  I confess that I'd still love to hear whatever they have, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

How about a complete George Shearing MGM set?  I have the excellent 4-CD EU box set that @mikeweil suggested.  I'm very happy to have it, but I can't help but wonder if these tracks could one day be available in better fidelity.  

I have this set, too. The sound on original LPs or Verve CD reissues is only slightly  better. What bothers me more is that it does not include the piano solos and the few tracks where Shearing plays accordion. I have these on two compilations.

Together with the Savoy material it would be even better. I just happened to order a copy of an oop Vogue CD that includes the one track US reissues always omitted, "George's Boogie Woogie".

On 4/13/2023 at 9:55 PM, Larry Kart said:

Don't remember it, sadly. but then I had many Jazztet albums so perhaps I wasn't in the market, Perhaps it included Art's Argo quartet album? That was a gem. Also working back in time, I listened to the combo he had with Hal Mckusick in '57-'58 with either Edie Costa or Bill Evans on piano. There was a 2-CD collecltion of their stuff, originally on Coral or Decca perhaps. One date of all Giuffre charts (really good ones) and one of all George Russell charts, including the debut recording of "Stratusphunk." Snap it up if you ever see it. Art is in great shape throughout, and McKusick is a kick, a very heady intelligent player.

Larry, thanks for the heads-up about McKusick.  He wasn't at all on my radar screen, but based on your recommendation, I picked up the two Avid twofers, comprising 7 albums in total.  What an interesting musical mind!  It also seems like he was part of a group of musicians and composers/arrangers at a very heady time in the music.  Unselfconscious, very musical, but striving for something different.  I really enjoyed these albums.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sonny Stitt on Verve.  Wouldn't that be nice to get the Mosaic treatment?  Possibly carve into two or three sets.  The three lps with Mel Lewis in 1959 would make a nice Select.  Dream on...

I did notice that Verve has issued some of their Sonny Stitt holdings as hi res downloads.  Possibly that's why no Mosaic.

15 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

I recently got a Delmark cd with some Apollo sessions by Ellingtonians plus Earl Hines, and it struck me that a Mosaic box of Apollo jazz sessions might be possible? Or would it be too big?

Bob Koester pretty thoroughly mined the Apollo masters - I have 17 Delmark/Apollo cds in my collection. Great stuff.

1 minute ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Bob Koester pretty thoroughly mined the Apollo masters - I have 17 Delmark/Apollo cds in my collection. Great stuff.

Thanks Chuck. I hadn't realized that Koester did them all, but it does look like he did. Apollo did a fair number of blues/early R&B things that were reissued in that series. I went back for a look, and I think Mosaic would define around eight or nine of those as jazz, but given that they were all reissued anyway--and pretty well--it probably wouldn't pay to do it again. 

It is a shame that Sony never did a Dave Brubeck & Gerry Mulligan on Columbia boxed set like they did with the Brubeck & Desmond studio recordings. Also, the Brubeck & Desmond Columbia live recordings would make a good set, surely there is unissued music in the vault.

Edited by Ken Dryden

• 1 month later...

Among smaller labels from the 1930's and 1040's, Signature would make a great box set, even though the Hawkins, and Dickie Wells with Pres sides had been included in previous sets. The label is under BMG control, so licensing shouldn't be the problem. The classic jazz sides all were available at some time or another. No idea how interesting the other recordings are.

http://www.78discography.com/Signiature.htm

On 9/15/2023 at 10:45 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

I second Chuck's recommendation. https://www.discogs.com/label/451017-Apollo-Series

Edited by mikeweil

On 10/30/2023 at 11:41 PM, mikeweil said:

Among smaller labels from the 1930's and 1040's, Signature would make a great box set, even though the Hawkins, and Dickie Wells with Pres sides had been included in previous sets. The label is under BMG control, so licensing shouldn't be the problem. The classic jazz sides all were available at some time or another. No idea how interesting the other recordings are.

http://www.78discography.com/Signiature.htm

I think the Ray Bloch and Johnny Long sides, for example, can safely be forgotten for the jazz listener.

Beyond that, it all depends on what Mosaic would be wiling to accept as "jazz" (according to THEIR reissuers' terms which IMHO sometimes seem to conflict with the period's evident understanding that jazz was primarily for dancing and entertainment). The (post-McKinley) Will Bradley sides (at least those I've heard on 78) are worth a listen, the titles of some of the Bill Stegmeyer tracks look promising, the Johnny Bothwell sides (some of them already reissued on Doctor Jazz LP and Hep CDs) may be an acquired taste but have their merits, there also is quite a bit of blues in there, Yank Lawson for mainstream traditionalists, as well as Hazel Scott, Mary Osborne, an often-overlooked period of Anita O'Day (though also covered by previous reissues), Flip Phillips before his JATP period (also reissued before, though), Sam Donahue, Page Cavanaugh, Nat Jaffe, Ray Linn (for a touch of modernity), Bill De Arango and so on ...

In short, a set off the beaten tracks of the usual suspects could be made up that aims straight at those who bought the Black & White box set. Likely???