Oh no, it's Big Al's BFT 229!!!

Big Al

Happy April Fool's Day and what better way to celebrate with this fool and his BFT 229! My last BFT was January 2013 and it might be something of an understatement to say that life is drastically different now than it was then, both in my own life and in the world. Therefore, I wanted to stick with music that was new to me over the course of the last 10 years. Ironically, and this is the only clue I'll give, none of this music was recorded in the last ten years (that will have to be saved for a future BFT). It's funny: I spent three months putting this together and the original result was boring and unlistenable; a few rearrangements and swapping out of songs and now I love it, and that took all of 30 minutes! Anyway, I hope y'all enjoy it too!

https://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

1 – Very pretty.  Great tone for the tenor sax. 

2 – I don’t want to like this, but I do like it.  Reminds me feel-wise of some of the Airto Moreira stuff from the 70’s, though it is less organic.

3 – Brother Big Al, you’ve been into one relaxed musical groove this past decade!  What’s not to like about this one?  Wouldn’t mind owning it if I don’t already.  Like this one a lot.

4 – No no no no no!  I don’t do steel drums!  I guess I’d describe this one as “jaunty” but if it wasn’t so short, I’d be hitting the skip button.  60’s vintage kitsch?  TTK might love it, but he doesn’t do BFT’s.  Could be from a soundtrack to some forgotten movie of that era.  Vinyl source!

5 – Also not for me, older style for both front line and rhythm section.  Pleasant, but not anything I would want to hear again for any reason.  Again, glad it’s short.

6 – Pass.  Outside the domain of my listening.

7 -  Tried it, no can do. 

8 – Not for me.  Has artistic value, just not in any of my grooves of choice.

9 – Better, but this strikes me as easy listening,  not jazz.  Guitar has a nice tone.

10 – Futuristic!  Tenor can play.  Late 70’s/early 80’s?  I do like it, though won’t be rushing out to buy it.

11 – Works for me.  Late 70’s CTI-ish groove to it, though could be later.  Not earlier.  I’ll look into this one along with #3.

12 – Sounds like Michael Brecker at his most annoying to me, but can’t think of him recording with vibes.  I like the vibes and the bass, but the tenor largely kills the track for me.  Still interested to find out what it is.  Someone like Dave Samuels on vibes?

13 – Like this one a lot.  Guessing it is the organist’s album, but I could be wrong.   Guessing 70’s vintage.  Looking forward to ID on this, and hoping I already own it.  If not, will look into it along with tracks 3 and 11

14 – I know this one, my favorite organist of all time, and my favorite album by him!  Of course I own it!   And the tenor player is obvious!   Fascinating name juxtaposition of the horn player names 😊.    Last cut from this great album .

Big Al, great to have you back on board!  Thanks for the BFT! Looking forward to the reveals on many of the tracks, and to see how some of the tracks are received by others!

36 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

this track 7, wonderful stuff that BN should reissue asap

How do I disguise the link?

Highlight the link with your cursor, click on the "link" icon (to the left of the " icon), and put in what you want to display in the "link text" box.

I thoroughly enjoyed this BFT.  I liked every track, and liked how the whole set flowed.  This would be good background music for a party.  Much of it involved the samba rhythm, but how each track treated it lent variety.  I only identified one track (#12).

1. Sounds like Scofield/Lovano, but isn't.  Light and lilting.  Sax sounded a little like Stan Getz.

2. Synth that sounds like a harmonica!  My guess is mid-80's, something a "smooth jazz" FM station might play (or maybe heard in an upscale spa).  Spyrogyra, Special FX, one of those.

3. Continuing with the samba lilt, but with a more insistent edge.  George Benson?  Could be a Blue Note late-60's track, Lee Morgan, but it isn't.

4. The late-'60's vibe continues.  Up Up & Away!  This is a BFT right up TTK's alley.  Sounds like the B-side of a single.

5. Nice groove.  Late '60's. Like a permutated Hello Dolly.  All professionals, no idea who they are.

6. I love this stuff.  Louie?  I can listen to this all day.  Coleman Hawkins.

7. Acoustic guitar.  Ben Webster?  Laid-back groove.  Could've been mid-40's Blue Note.

8. Alto with strings?  Lee Konitz?  The strings and arrangement are as much the star as the alto.  Jimmy Giuffre arrangement?

9. Late '60's again.  Short track.  George Benson?  Laurindo Almeida?  Session musicians actually made money in those days.

10.  Tenor sounds familiar.  Drummer sounds like Steve Gadd.  Arrangement sounds like late '60's, but recording sounds like late '70's.  Great charts.

11. Flute and marimba.  Fits with the overall groove.

12.  As soon as I heard the vibes, I knew.  It's track B1 from this.

13.  Trumpet, alto, guitar.  Remarkable how much is the arrangement vs. time for solos.  Then what pops up as the first solo but organ!  This wasn't on Prestige, because it required a rehearsal.

14. Similar instrumentation as #13, but with tenor instead of alto.  Definitely enjoyed the groove here.

6 hours ago, felser said:

1 – Very pretty.  Great tone for the tenor sax. 

Not a tenor but I agree it is pretty and has a great tone!

2 – I don’t want to like this, but I do like it.  Reminds me feel-wise of some of the Airto Moreira stuff from the 70’s, though it is less organic.

I think people may or may not be surprised to find out who this is. Depends on how big a fan one is of the artist.

3 – Brother Big Al, you’ve been into one relaxed musical groove this past decade!  What’s not to like about this one?  Wouldn’t mind owning it if I don’t already.  Like this one a lot.

The only people who know this are those who own this album. It is definitely worth seeking out!

4 – No no no no no!  I don’t do steel drums!  I guess I’d describe this one as “jaunty” but if it wasn’t so short, I’d be hitting the skip button.  60’s vintage kitsch?  TTK might love it, but he doesn’t do BFT’s.  Could be from a soundtrack to some forgotten movie of that era.  Vinyl source!

60's vintage kitsch it is and definitely from my vinyl copy! It's not a steel drum, believe it or not, but I can definitely see where it sounds like one!

10 – Futuristic!  Tenor can play.  Late 70’s/early 80’s?  I do like it, though won’t be rushing out to buy it.

Oh yes he can! You might be surprised to find out who this is! I don't think it will change your mind about buying it tho. 😄

11 – Works for me.  Late 70’s CTI-ish groove to it, though could be later.  Not earlier.  I’ll look into this one along with #3.

This was my favorite discovery of last year, so much so I bought a second copy to send to a friend of mine in NC!

12 – Sounds like Michael Brecker at his most annoying to me, but can’t think of him recording with vibes.  I like the vibes and the bass, but the tenor largely kills the track for me.  Still interested to find out what it is.  Someone like Dave Samuels on vibes?

It helps to know this also isn't a tenor sax. Maybe that's why it sounds so annoying? 😁

13 – Like this one a lot.  Guessing it is the organist’s album, but I could be wrong.   Guessing 70’s vintage.  Looking forward to ID on this, and hoping I already own it.  If not, will look into it along with tracks 3 and 11

I hope you own it too, it is fantastic!

14 – I know this one, my favorite organist of all time, and my favorite album by him!  Of course I own it!   And the tenor player is obvious!   Fascinating name juxtaposition of the horn player names 😊.    Last cut from this great album .

I figured this would be a gimme to those who own this phenomenal album. This one is right up there with Bitches Brew in terms of monumental jazz double-albums!

Big Al, great to have you back on board!  Thanks for the BFT! Looking forward to the reveals on many of the tracks, and to see how some of the tracks are received by others!

It's good to be back and, even better, it's great to be back in touch with you!

Edited by Big Al
Trying to make two consecutive and separate posts. It's not working.

1) Guitar and alto...pretty nice.  I'm thinking the guitarist is the leader. Maybe Dave Stryker and Steve Slagle, mainly because of the simpatico of the players.

2) Just about everything suggests Pat Metheny Group.  I don’t think it’s in my collection, but I don’t have all those records.  There are the vocals and a Lyle Mays sound/vibe.  More Lye than Pat…the latter usually make his presence known.  But I’ll still say Metheny Group.

3) Mellow.

4) Sounds too much like a theme from a 1960’s sitcom.

5) Nice track that has a 1950’s west coast sound to my ears, but I could be way off.

6) Old time jazz.  Sounds like a large ensemble, but not true big band size.  Perhaps early Ellington? Yeah, sounds a lot like Duke…waiting to see if the piano gets a spot…no.  I will  guess Duke, but not with full confidence.

7) This is old-timey too.  I’m guessing that’s a pre-Charlie Christian guitarist… and a good one.

Edited by Milestones

I'm pretty much at a loss on the rest.

10) My wild guess is Grover Washington Jr.

11) This might be Hubert Laws.  It might be Dave Valentin and Dave Samuels.  Or someone else!

14) Tenor sounds like Joe Henderson, but not any Henderson that I have heard before.  It has fusion elements and definitely sounds 70's.  I believe that's an organ, but it has synth qualities.

Kinda zipped thru these (kinda busy) and haven't yet listened to anything past the first 10,
but I'm gonna point out the ones I feel pretty certain about:

1) Petr Zelenka - Hidden Time (Memory Flash)

2) Pat Metheny - Daulton Lee (Falcon and the Snowman)

6) Fats Waller - Won’t You Get Off It, Please (any number of collections. The single has "Harlem Fuss" on the "A" side methinks...)

9) I'm scratchin' my head on this one 'cause it makes me feel like it's the Charlie Brown All-Stars 😄

10) Ray Barretto - Mambotango (La Cuna)

Will give it more time tomorrow...

On 4/1/2023 at 5:53 PM, mjzee said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this BFT.  I liked every track, and liked how the whole set flowed.  This would be good background music for a party.  Much of it involved the samba rhythm, but how each track treated it lent variety.  I only identified one track (#12).

1. Sounds like Scofield/Lovano, but isn't.  Light and lilting.  Sax sounded a little like Stan Getz.

Interesting! Getz was not who I thought this was when I first heard it. You're the second person to think this is a tenor sax.

2. Synth that sounds like a harmonica!  My guess is mid-80's, something a "smooth jazz" FM station might play (or maybe heard in an upscale spa).  Spyrogyra, Special FX, one of those.

You're on the right track but it's neither of those groups.

3. Continuing with the samba lilt, but with a more insistent edge.  George Benson?  Could be a Blue Note late-60's track, Lee Morgan, but it isn't.

No, but you're on the right track since the quitar is the leader.

4. The late-'60's vibe continues.  Up Up & Away!  This is a BFT right up TTK's alley.  Sounds like the B-side of a single.

You're the second person to name-drop TTK with this track. I can't wait to see his response!

5. Nice groove.  Late '60's. Like a permutated Hello Dolly.  All professionals, no idea who they are.

All professionals indeed!

6. I love this stuff.  Louie?  I can listen to this all day.  Coleman Hawkins.

Not Louie or Hawk, but I'm right there with ya: I could listen to this all day!

7. Acoustic guitar.  Ben Webster?  Laid-back groove.  Could've been mid-40's Blue Note.

Wow! Correct on all accounts! Nice peg!

8. Alto with strings?  Lee Konitz?  The strings and arrangement are as much the star as the alto.  Jimmy Giuffre arrangement?

Not Giuffre but correct on all other accounts!

9. Late '60's again.  Short track.  George Benson?  Laurindo Almeida?  Session musicians actually made money in those days.

Late 60's indeed but neither of those players. I sure hope these people made money!

10.  Tenor sounds familiar.  Drummer sounds like Steve Gadd.  Arrangement sounds like late '60's, but recording sounds like late '70's.  Great charts.

Tenor is very much-loved around here! The drummer may or may not be Steve Gadd because the credits list two drummers and Gadd is one of them. That's gotta be him, though

11. Flute and marimba.  Fits with the overall groove.

Yup!

12.  As soon as I heard the vibes, I knew.  It's track B1 from this.

DING! DING! DING! What a fantastic record!

13.  Trumpet, alto, guitar.  Remarkable how much is the arrangement vs. time for solos.  Then what pops up as the first solo but organ!  This wasn't on Prestige, because it required a rehearsal.

You're right, it's definitely not Prestige. The organist is also much-loved around here!

14. Similar instrumentation as #13, but with tenor instead of alto.  Definitely enjoyed the groove here.

Loads of groove on this one!

Glad you dug it! My comments are in blue above!

On 4/1/2023 at 9:23 PM, Milestones said:

1) Guitar and alto...pretty nice.  I'm thinking the guitarist is the leader. Maybe Dave Stryker and Steve Slagle, mainly because of the simpatico of the players.

Guitarist is the leader but neither of those players. Finally someone guesses an alto! 😂

2) Just about everything suggests Pat Metheny Group.  I don’t think it’s in my collection, but I don’t have all those records.  There are the vocals and a Lyle Mays sound/vibe.  More Lye than Pat…the latter usually make his presence known.  But I’ll still say Metheny Group.

DING! DING! It's definitely Metheny Group!

3) Mellow.

4) Sounds too much like a theme from a 1960’s sitcom.

This track is bringing out comments as colorful as the album cover!

5) Nice track that has a 1950’s west coast sound to my ears, but I could be way off.

Maybe not. Hopefully someone will post about this track who has information about it because neither the album nor the internet has any info.

6) Old time jazz.  Sounds like a large ensemble, but not true big band size.  Perhaps early Ellington? Yeah, sounds a lot like Duke…waiting to see if the piano gets a spot…no.  I will  guess Duke, but not with full confidence.

Not Duke!

7) This is old-timey too.  I’m guessing that’s a pre-Charlie Christian guitarist… and a good one.

Actually this was recorded after Christian's passing.

Cool guesses! Comments in blue!

On 4/1/2023 at 9:43 PM, Milestones said:

I'm pretty much at a loss on the rest.

10) My wild guess is Grover Washington Jr.

Not Grover but I can see how this might sound like him!

11) This might be Hubert Laws.  It might be Dave Valentin and Dave Samuels.  Or someone else!

One of those Dave's is correct! 😉 It's not Laws but that would've been my guess if this wasn't by BFT!

14) Tenor sounds like Joe Henderson, but not any Henderson that I have heard before.  It has fusion elements and definitely sounds 70's.  I believe that's an organ, but it has synth qualities.

There's a reason the tenor sounds like Joe Henderson 😁

More groovy guesses and more comments in blue!

On 4/2/2023 at 1:04 PM, rostasi said:

Kinda zipped thru these (kinda busy) and haven't yet listened to anything past the first 10,
but I'm gonna point out the ones I feel pretty certain about:

1) Petr Zelenka - Hidden Time (Memory Flash)

2) Pat Metheny - Daulton Lee (Falcon and the Snowman)

6) Fats Waller - Won’t You Get Off It, Please (any number of collections. The single has "Harlem Fuss" on the "A" side methinks...)

9) I'm scratchin' my head on this one 'cause it makes me feel like it's the Charlie Brown All-Stars 😄

10) Ray Barretto - Mambotango (La Cuna)

Will give it more time tomorrow...

Good grief Charlie Brown! Right on all accounts!!!! Nice to know I'm not the only one who has the Zelenka disc!

On 4/2/2023 at 5:04 PM, danasgoodstuff said:

Finally figured out the linky thing.

Yup! And you nailed the guess too! 👍

On 4/2/2023 at 8:30 PM, Quasimado said:

#8 "Places Please" from the Ralph Burns "Free Forms" Clef LP from 1951.

Lee Konitz cuts through the schmaltz. Ray Brown and Jo Jones are surprisingly in the mix.

DING! DING! DING!

1. Bickert & Desmond? Love that guitar sound. 
  2. I enjoy the synth bed and the playing but overall this is a bit of a background tune. The synths wash this into new age territory at times. What instrument is the lead here? Is it Saluzzi with the bandoneon? Pretty sure I heard a rain stick in there too. 
  3. Sounds like a 70s bass recording. Different type of guitar playing that in track 1. Almost more acoustic- sounding. Breezy tune overall, esp the solos from the trumpet and sax. Is this a Duke Pearson on electric piano track? Although doesn't sound like a BN/RVG recording. Maybe Longo on Mainstream or Flying Dutchman?
  4. Another breezy, Brazilian influenced tune. Short & sweet but no guesses.
  5. Swinging trumpet opener and a nice sax solo. Probably should be obvious who's playing here but I don't have any guesses. Well, are these "west coast" players? Drummer recalls Manne or maybe Bellson...
  6. Nice song but I'm not overly fond of what the drummer is laying down. Sounds Condon-ish in terms of guitar, and if that's the case, then that drummer is someone other than Wettling. Freeman on sax? I'm not hearing that so much but if it's Condon...
  7. Interesting style of composition. Sounds older, but maybe a throwback recording? I've definitely never heard this song before. Guitar is really bluesy and that's some clean picking. Nice trumpet & sax as well. Love the ensemble playing toward the end. It's predictable though and kind of a hallmark of that style and maybe time period. 
  8. Ok, the strings kind of help here. Not sure who this is. Far outside of what I go for typically. 
  9. I like the intro. More strings with that Brazilian/South American drum pattern. Kind of sappy those  strings are. I like the vibes & horns though, esp how the horns are recorded - brings a lush texture. 
  10. Ha, yeah this is some Lonnie Liston Smith sounding stuff. Groove oriented, maybe late 70s/early 80s recording? These types of songs get recommended by the algorithm when I'm streaming. Good vibes for driving.  Sax player is the likley leader...maybe Grover Washington? Whoever it is, they're guiding the whole thing, building tension and steering where this goes. 
  11. Is the theme of this BFT Spring Breeze? Marimba here, but also vibes too later in the song. Is this Bobby Hutcherson maybe? The bass intro slayed. Then the flute picks up the whole thing. Bass player sounds familiar.  
  12. Mo' Vibes please...This recalls an 80s Hutch track, maybe 70s, not sure. Probably not him. Not a fan of this composition right now. Buzzy sax so maybe 90s actually. Reminds me of Garbarek kind of. Song gets better, wanders into some ECM-ish territory as well which isn't a bad thing for me. So Gary Burton on vibes then? Lots of various pieces coming together nicely. Steve Swallow here too? 
  13. Got to be 70s right? Song is kind of familiar. Idris on drums? Someone struggled getting the bass recorded but the horns are good. Also reminds me of Liston Smith on organ but if it's him, it's early. If it's someone like McDuff, it's late. But maybe it's Jimmy McGriff? 
  14. This fits into the prior tracks really nicely. Some great groove tracks you've got here and this one is no slouch either. No guesses but enjoyable song. 

Nice BFT Big Al! Thanks for putting this together. I may revisit as my listening set up this go round wasn't ideal based on some time constraints and other stuff going on. Not one that has a lot of songs I can guess but still, nice vibes all around. 

On 4/4/2023 at 12:27 AM, danasgoodstuff said:

#7 is from a wonderful 4 song session that BN should reissue asap, just put it on one side of an LP and the other session of theirs with Ben Webster on the other.

Thanks for linking the video. Guitarist smokes 🔥

Edited by Dub Modal

I think I'm going to do way worse on your BFT than you did on mine!

1.  I'll try Scolohofo here
2.  Borders on smooth.  Not sure if that's a soprano or a harmonica.  Toots Thielmanns?
3.  Bright optimistic sax theme with electric piano.  Makes me think of the BlackJazz label.  Maybe Calvin Keys?
4.  Before there was smooth, there was ... well, not enough trumpet to be Herb Alpert.  Maybe Quincy Jones?
5.  Kinda feels like a Black and Blue session.  Howard McGhee?
6.  Fletcher Henderson is my first thought.  Can't rule out very early Duke Ellington or even thirties Louis Armstrong.
7.  Django usually comes with a fiddle, but this could be an exception.
8.  Nicely integrated strings.  Bud Shank?
9.  Stanley Turrentine?
10. Hank Crawford on CTI?  No that's a tenor.  Joe Henderson on Milestone?
11. Possibly Herbie Mann.
12. Pretty sure it's Gary Burton, but don't know the sax.
13. Wes Montgomery and Jimmy Smith?
14. This makes me think even more of Joe Henderson on Milestone?

Ah! Yes! - the last four...

I'd be embarrassed if I'd missed this:

#12: Gary Burton - Summer Band Camp (Easy As Pie)

#14: Charles Earland - Never Ending Melody (Leaving This Planet)

still working on the others when I get a chance...

Did this test just before the board went down.  Now that it's back, I decided to do something I never do and started reading the other posts, simply because my reaction to this was what it was.  Seems my reaction is a partial outlier (Felser got to my neighborhood after a few tunes), but after I read MJZEE's post, I decided to just post my original content.  Apologies in advance for being a curmudgeon.

Well, part of the idea behind a BFT is to hear music you don't ordinarily listen to.  This was definitely that.  As a kid, Wednesdays school let out at noon for teacher workshop days (which, as an adult, I would come to realize was NOT a positive thing, but rather typically a complete waste of time that everybody hated -- prep time would have been far more valuable, but I digress), so I would go to my grandparent's until my mother got out of work.  She'd have on WHOM, "Beautiful music from the top of Mt. Washington," was what they billed it as.  It was Muzak.  She had taste, including a fairly decent record collection (Basie, Ellington, Lockjaw, Stan Kenton, Illinois Jacquet) and I remember asking her, "Do you like this?"  "It's pretty," was her non-committal response.  While I don't wish to kick anyones taste, that's what this BFT conjured in my memory.  It was not a highlight of my youth.  With age, I'm trying to park some of my negativity.  I keep channeling the words of saxophonist Matt Langley, "We [Jazz guys] make up about 2% of the listening population, do we have to argue about it?"  He had a point, but I still can't stand Michael Brecker.  So, my lack of deep comments is an attempt to strand some of my negative reactions in the parking lot.  

Track 01 - Nothing really here for me, no idea what I'm listening to, but it's too clean, to the point of not holding my interest.

Track 02 - There was a time I wanted a lyricon in the 80s.  Had a recording of Tom Scott playing it, and thought it was neat.  I was 12.  By age 13, I'd sold the record and lost interest in the idea.  This doesn't rekindle it (and I assume this is EWI, the digital equivalent).

Track 03 - I was hopeful this was going to be Sonny Fortune.  It may be a poorly recorded Cecil McBee on bass.  The tune sounds very familiar, but with the solos, I got nothin'.  Wondering if it's someone I don't know covering a tune I somewhat know.  I don't mind the trumpet player, but can only offer a list of who it is not.  Not Fortune.  Perhaps a Grubbs brother?

Track 04 - I want this to be a semi-hip cover of Do You Know The Way To San Jose.  Sadly, it is not.  This is the track that really brought me back to Wednesday afternoons.

Track 05 - I want to like this, but it's crossing too many eras, and I'd prefer any of them to the mix.  Maybe Shorty Rogers?

Track 06 - Not an era that appeals to me.  I've developed a respect for it (as I have with even certain rock music, because it's its own thing and NONE of it is *easy*), but can't listen to it for long.

Track 07 - Ditto.

Track 08 - There's a lot I don't gel with here.  West coastie feel, with strings on top, and an absence of the way I hear swing.  Okay as film music, but I can't sit here and just listen (though I did, twice, albeit unhappily).

Track 09 - Song actually sounds very familiar, but I just can't get to this.

Track 10 - No.  I can't fit into my leisure suite anymore.  Could be Gato from the period I don't get to.

Track 11 - Kind of Mangione-esque, but I prefer Chuck.

Track 12 - Could be Jan Garbarek and/or Gary Burton.  Or maybe Mathias Lupri.

Track 13 - Not my bag, but might be my pick of the BFT.  Okay, three minutes in I'm just frustrated.  It doesn't GO anywhere.

Track 14 - I recall this song from somewhere, perhaps THIS is the Grubbs brothers track?  Nope.  Shades of Joe Henderson on a nothing day.  Too much going on, yet nothing at all.  Alright, that sure sounds like Freddie, but too busy being Freddie.  This is going to be people I like just trying to bug me, I just know it.  This is a bad porn soundtrack.

Welp, hopefully I contained some of it, but there just wasn't much in this test for me.  

1 hour ago, tkeith said:

Did this test just before the board went down.  Now that it's back, I decided to do something I never do and started reading the other posts, simply because my reaction to this was what it was.  Seems my reaction is a partial outlier (Felser got to my neighborhood after a few tunes), but after I read MJZEE's post, I decided to just post my original content.  Apologies in advance for being a curmudgeon.

Well, part of the idea behind a BFT is to hear music you don't ordinarily listen to.  This was definitely that.  As a kid, Wednesdays school let out at noon for teacher workshop days (which, as an adult, I would come to realize was NOT a positive thing, but rather typically a complete waste of time that everybody hated -- prep time would have been far more valuable, but I digress), so I would go to my grandparent's until my mother got out of work.  She'd have on WHOM, "Beautiful music from the top of Mt. Washington," was what they billed it as.  It was Muzak.  She had taste, including a fairly decent record collection (Basie, Ellington, Lockjaw, Stan Kenton, Illinois Jacquet) and I remember asking her, "Do you like this?"  "It's pretty," was her non-committal response.  While I don't wish to kick anyones taste, that's what this BFT conjured in my memory.  It was not a highlight of my youth.  With age, I'm trying to park some of my negativity.  I keep channeling the words of saxophonist Matt Langley, "We [Jazz guys] make up about 2% of the listening population, do we have to argue about it?"  He had a point, but I still can't stand Michael Brecker.  So, my lack of deep comments is an attempt to strand some of my negative reactions in the parking lot.  

Track 01 - Nothing really here for me, no idea what I'm listening to, but it's too clean, to the point of not holding my interest.

Track 02 - There was a time I wanted a lyricon in the 80s.  Had a recording of Tom Scott playing it, and thought it was neat.  I was 12.  By age 13, I'd sold the record and lost interest in the idea.  This doesn't rekindle it (and I assume this is EWI, the digital equivalent).

Track 03 - I was hopeful this was going to be Sonny Fortune.  It may be a poorly recorded Cecil McBee on bass.  The tune sounds very familiar, but with the solos, I got nothin'.  Wondering if it's someone I don't know covering a tune I somewhat know.  I don't mind the trumpet player, but can only offer a list of who it is not.  Not Fortune.  Perhaps a Grubbs brother?

Track 04 - I want this to be a semi-hip cover of Do You Know The Way To San Jose.  Sadly, it is not.  This is the track that really brought me back to Wednesday afternoons.

Track 05 - I want to like this, but it's crossing too many eras, and I'd prefer any of them to the mix.  Maybe Shorty Rogers?

Track 06 - Not an era that appeals to me.  I've developed a respect for it (as I have with even certain rock music, because it's its own thing and NONE of it is *easy*), but can't listen to it for long.

Track 07 - Ditto.

Track 08 - There's a lot I don't gel with here.  West coastie feel, with strings on top, and an absence of the way I hear swing.  Okay as film music, but I can't sit here and just listen (though I did, twice, albeit unhappily).

Track 10 - No.  I can't fit into my leisure suite anymore.  Could be Gato from the period I don't get to.

Track 13 - Not my bag, but might be my pick of the BFT.  Okay, three minutes in I'm just frustrated.  It doesn't GO anywhere.

Track 14 - I recall this song from somewhere, perhaps THIS is the Grubbs brothers track?  Nope.  Shades of Joe Henderson on a nothing day.  Too much going on, yet nothing at all.  Alright, that sure sounds like Freddie, but too busy being Freddie.  This is going to be people I like just trying to bug me, I just know it.  This is a bad porn soundtrack.

Welp, hopefully I contained some of it, but there just wasn't much in this test for me.  

Congratulations for making me now want to hear Al's tunes.

The guesses to date had not excited me and so I didn't plan but I gotta hear what a bad porn soundtrack is. (and I posted one once on a BFT).

23 hours ago, tkeith said:

Track 07 - Ditto.

I love this and I hope you'll share the unfiltered comments! I'll gladly cop to liking a lot of this because it sounds pretty to these ears. :)

On 4/13/2023 at 2:25 PM, tkeith said:

I love how you nailed ID'ing the horn players on #14 while totally dissing the track!  I'm with you on Brecker 90% of the time, then he would throw in things like those incredible Hal Galper late 70's albums, just to mess with my head that he really could play.  Same with Galper himself for that matter, how could musicians formerly so bold and creative become so bland and predictable?  That's a rhetorical question BTW, I know the answers all too well.

8 hours ago, felser said:

I love how you nailed ID'ing the horn players on #14 while totally dissing the track!  I'm with you on Brecker 90% of the time, then he would throw in things like those incredible Hal Galper late 70's albums, just to mess with my head that he really could play.  Same with Galper himself for that matter, how could musicians formerly so bold and creative become so bland and predictable?  That's a rhetorical question BTW, I know the answers all too well.

I'm pretty sure Brecker is nowhere to be found on this BFT. Funny thing is, the only Brecker I know is his work on Horace Silver's In Pursuit Of The 27th Man and Pat Metheny's 80/81. My mind is still blown away by his solos on "Two Folks Songs!"

On 4/14/2023 at 2:47 PM, felser said:

Oh, MB can play, he just can't make me care.

6 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Why are we allowing AI-generated blindfold tests?  Can't board members create them anymore?

And regular AI was a scary enough.  Now we have tests generated by BIG AI?  The implications are terrifying.

I say: defund Big AI and give that money to Big Al! :g