Goodbye Astrud

gvopedz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think she transcended the notion of "Brazilian singer" even though she was a singer from Brazil and sang a lot of Brazilian song. Apparently there was no love lost between them for a good bit of a while and she never went back home. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I think she transcended the notion of "Brazilian singer" even though she was a singer from Brazil and sang a lot of Brazilian song. Apparently there was no love lost between them for a good bit of a while and she never went back home. 

Personally I don't see it that way. She may have tried to escape the label of Brazilian singer and patriate (mainly I would say due to political changes at home), but she remained one at the core. That's how I see it. Vive la difference.

Edited by jazzbo

I heard her once in 1985 at Hollabrunn Jazz Festival. 

The remarkable thing was, that the first musician scheduled was Miles Davis, and after that was Astrud, and the musicians of Davis´ group all were in the audience listening to Astrud. I don´t know if Miles also listened from a more hidden place. 
I know that Miles once praised the Getz-Gilberto album and one of his themes from the electric period "Maisha" also was a pure bossa nova with that light bossa feeling. 

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I heard her once in 1985 at Hollabrunn Jazz Festival. 

The remarkable thing was, that the first musician scheduled was Miles Davis, and after that was Astrud, and the musicians of Davis´ group all were in the audience listening to Astrud. I don´t know if Miles also listened from a more hidden place. 
I know that Miles once praised the Getz-Gilberto album and one of his themes from the electric period "Maisha" also was a pure bossa nova with that light bossa feeling. 

On the theme of musicians listening to other musicians, a friend who saw the Gillespie and Coltrane groups in Newcastle upon Tyne in November 1961 told me that Trane sat in the audience during the Gillespie set and laughed his head off at Dizzy's clowning. 

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Agreed. Astrud was to Verve what Claudine Longet was to A&M - an alluring, somewhat mysterious female singer doing the 1960s International Jet Set songbook, consisting of tunes by Jobim, Legrand, Mancini, Bacharach, Morrricone,  Jimmy Webb, Tony Hatch, and Lennon/McCartney.  Her last 3 Verve albums have minimal Brazilian content.  The choice was either Astrud's, or that of Verve's A&R department.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

respectfully, I have to side with the dissenters here.

a WKCR host did a three-hour long Astrud show tonight-- seemed like three weeks it was so g.d. repetitive, and mostly insipid. Softly sung fake Chet Baker w/ a Brazilian accent, slow song, medium tempo song repeat repeat repeat, by the time she gets to "Light My Fire" (why not "Celebration of the Lizard" or The End" also? Or at least "Peace Frog"!) I'm ready to shed a tear too...

... and then listen to three weeks of nothing but DELLA REESE to cleanse myself.

Edited by MomsMobley

RIP. She was uniquely Brasilian through and through even though she didn’t spend a lot of time in Brasil later on. I happened to be living in São Paulo when the song came out, which, ironically, was right around the time the military overthrew Joao Goulart. I remember both events well (although the coup d’etat a bit more vividly).