Social Media Wars

The only things I’m on are a couple forums — here, and the Hoffman forums.

And Reddit.  And that’s it.

I don’t even have a Google login, if you even imagine — and never have (or if I ever did, I haven’t used it in 10-15 years).

I do see tweets occasionally, when they’re posted within online news articles and blog posts. And every once in a blue moon (like maybe twice a year), I’ll Google something to find something specific on Twitter (or that I suspect is on Twitter).

And, of course, various Reddit threads link to Twitter, and Instagram — sometimes I can see them without a login, sometimes I can’t.

My wife has a Facebook account that she never (ever) uses — but every once in a while we’ll have to log into it in order to see some Facebook page we can’t see otherwise, usually for some business. Or during the pandemic, there were a few live webcasts of some classical or bluegrass music we could only see thru Facebook.

We are both very disconnected from most social media. I comment a lot on Reddit, but my wife doesn’t even have  Reddit account — and she never comments or posts anywhere, on any platform whatsoever. She’s like a 100% lurker on everything she enjoys online.

Have never been on any of these big name social sites
except after discovering the proper structure of Mastodon
... and even then, there's so much going on there that it can
be a bit overwhelming and I don't read it but for a few minutes
a week. I don't see any reasons to post there (and what am
I gonna say that's somehow worthwhile, needed or desired?)

There's ONE Faceplant page that I visit, but I just send emails
to the person that's the head-face there and he'll thank me for
the info and post it even tho I was just sending it to him and not
meaning for it to be for the Facedroids ... but that's the extent of it.

People crow about friends and family that congregate on Facecrook,
so that's why they stay (remember "email," folks?) even if it's a giant
poop stain on social identities and analytical thought.

Used to have FB and Twitter, shut both accounts down -- way too hairy in terms of blow-hardiness and lunacy.

I do use IG quite a lot for gig/project promotion. That is for me its only purpose. I used to post pics of records/etc. but then the vinyl IG deluge started and I could no longer deal. But I am still on there tooting away.

tried Mastodon for a second and could not grasp how to use it, really don't care... and Threads I am avoiding.

I access Twitter/X thru the Brave web-browser and not the app. I only follow a few accounts. Interestingly, I see quite a bit from both sides of the political aisle in my "For You" feed. If there's any censorship, I haven't noticed. One thing I have noticed is a tendency of posters of a certain political persuasion constantly threatening to leave Twitter, only to stick around and be questioned by their followers why they're still there; OR, they do leave, but then come back and make a big to-do about it.

I'm still on FB but I rarely post. As I've gotten older my interest in keeping up with people I've never met in person, especially when these same people only want to shove their political opinions down my throat, has diminished rapidly. The only thing that has kept me from doing a complete FB-friend mass-delete is my overall laziness and tendency to overthink everything.

Ironically, I have 2 Instagram accounts, a private personal one and a public one that is nothing more than pictures of my records and various musings on said records. Of the 200-or-so followees/followers, I've met less than five in person. And I'm okay with this. The personal IG account gets about as much attention as the FB page.

All this to say, if there's a social media war going on, I haven't noticed. But then, I don't say enough to probably notice it or be noticed by it.

9 hours ago, gvopedz said:

"An alien arriving on Earth in the year 2023 might believe social media was created solely for strangers to yell at each other..."

https://thewalrus.ca/the-inescapable-rise-of-moral-superiority/

Sort of droll, given that this same magazine really stepped into it for promoting cultural appropriation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/jonathan-kay-steps-down-1.4114691

Maybe that just proves their point that it is essentially impossible to have civilized discourse on the internet, but still kind of a boneheaded move.

Hmmm, interesting.
So, a guy resigns over six years ago after suggesting that there should be a discussion about (the seriously loaded phrase) “cultural appropriation” and somehow this is connected to a recent opinion piece on social media bickering?

3 hours ago, mhatta said:

I'm actively using almost all social networking sites  (X-Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Bluesky, Mastodon, Threads, T2, etc.), and well, they are a waste of time.  And not so many people on them are interested in jazz.

They are a huge sink for time.

8 hours ago, mhatta said:

I'm actively using almost all social networking sites  (X-Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Bluesky, Mastodon, Threads, T2, etc.), and well, they are a waste of time.  And not so many people on them are interested in jazz.

IG has quite a few good jazz contributors. One of the best is jazzandcoffee.