Mosaic and the Blue Note catalog

That session was listed as rejected rather than just unissued, though if the three unreleased tracks are on par with the released one, it should be OK listening.  I feel like Morgan was in something of a cul-de-sac at that point, and renewed inspiration came with the Lighthouse  and Last Album  releases.

23 hours ago, romualdo said:

I asked MC back in the 90s for a Hutcherson set but he thought it would be difficult to find a cutoff point (I suggested a few & he thought it was reasonable but it never came to be) - this is way before the release of the 70s Select set. He was interested so maybe now with the new revival of BN Mosaics he may actually go for a Hutch set.

That Select was a great example of Mosaic being Mosaic.  Almost none of it on CD.  Not as daring as his 60s work, but very pleasant and hits the spot for me.

9 hours ago, felser said:

That session was listed as rejected rather than just unissued, though if the three unreleased tracks are on par with the released one, it should be OK listening.  I feel like Morgan was in something of a cul-de-sac at that point, and renewed inspiration came with the Lighthouse  and Last Album  releases.

To my ears, the other 3 tunes from that session, "Blues For Mr. Tatum", "The Sleepwalker" & "The Chief", sound as good as the ones released on The Sixth Sense.

17 hours ago, Eric said:

That Select was a great example of Mosaic being Mosaic.  Almost none of it on CD.  Not as daring as his 60s work, but very pleasant and hits the spot for me.

Agreed on all counts.  Glad to have it.  And those Hutch sessions were the best music BN was recording at that point.

19 hours ago, Eric said:

Right on, Eric.  That set made it possible for me to hear the Japan-only release Inner Glow for the first time.

2 hours ago, felser said:

Agreed on all counts.  Glad to have it.  And those Hutch sessions were the best music BN was recording at that point.

I'm sure it's shocking to everyone that I agree with your agreement.  ;)

Of the five albums in the Mosaic Select set, I'd put Cirrus right up there with the finest albums of Hutcherson's career.  

Edited by HutchFan

On 8/4/2023 at 5:43 PM, HutchFan said:

Of the five albums in the Mosaic Select set, I'd put Cirrus right up there with the finest albums of Hutcherson's career.

How did I know that was gonna be the one with Woody Shaw (had to look it up, because I can never remember which of those 70’s Hutcherson albums are which, by title).

I have the Select, but somewhere along the way I also picked up a modest priced Japanese reissue of Cirrus as single too — on the off chance I ever got tempted to sell my Select. :P

Edited by Rooster_Ties

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I have the Select, but somewhere along the like I also picked up a modest priced Japanese reissue of Cirrus as single too — on the off chance I ever got tempted to sell my Select. :P

I have (and kept) all of the LPs -- except for Inner Glow.  (Never got that one. Too pricey.) 

For some things, it's nice to have a back-ups.  :) 

Edited by HutchFan

• 1 month later...

I've been collecting Mosaic box and Select sets the last couple of years although I have single CD earlier versions of the same music released by Blue Note and other labels.  I've been impressed by the better audio quality of the Mosaics.  For example, I had the original single CD releases of Tony Williams' Quintet.  But the Mosaic Select CDs sounded so much better.  They really captured the unique power and intensity of this quintet which I had the opportunity to hear live (one of the most incredible jazz performances I ever heard).  So I am wondering if the Dexter Gordon Mosaic Select box set of Nights at the Keystone also sound a lot better than the original Blue Note CD releases, which I already have.  Does anyone have both?  Would be great to get your comparative assessment.  Many thanks!

3 hours ago, Mochibop said:

I've been collecting Mosaic box and Select sets the last couple of years although I have single CD earlier versions of the same music released by Blue Note and other labels.  I've been impressed by the better audio quality of the Mosaics.  For example, I had the original single CD releases of Tony Williams' Quintet.  But the Mosaic Select CDs sounded so much better.  They really captured the unique power and intensity of this quintet which I had the opportunity to hear live (one of the most incredible jazz performances I ever heard).  So I am wondering if the Dexter Gordon Mosaic Select box set of Nights at the Keystone also sound a lot better than the original Blue Note CD releases, which I already have.  Does anyone have both?  Would be great to get your comparative assessment.  Many thanks!

I A-B'd the original Dexters and the Select one time and didn't hear any appreciable difference.  The sources on that material is pretty poor, maybe not that much which can be done for it

I have the luxury that I acquired most of the BN stuff on CD during the reissue golden era (1999-2009), so I have pretty limited interest in that kind of recycled content (though I understand folks who entered jazz at a later period might feel differently).

Definitely interested in high quality music that's not widely available on CD, e.g. Land/Hutcherson stuff.

I also would love them to just reprint some of the classic boxes I never picked up (e.g. Liebman Pendulum, Pullen/Adams).  No need to reinvent the atom.

14 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

They are not going to repress boxes that they sold out of long ago, in large part because of licensing limitations, and in part because they said they never would and they are persons of their word.

Too bad!  I hope they change their minds.  But if not, there are other ways to access the material.

On 9/11/2023 at 3:08 PM, felser said:

I A-B'd the original Dexters and the Select one time and didn't hear any appreciable difference.  The sources on that material is pretty poor, maybe not that much which can be done for it

Thanks!  Although the music is great, too bad the original recording itself isn’t. 

• 3 weeks later...

Imagine the squeals if they surprised us and turnout a nice odds and sods set ( a little like some of the older Japanese rarities) 

I know there is not a great deal 

and the prospect might not be real 

but I would still squeal!

In all seriousness the prospect of another nicely compiled box of new bits and pieces along the lines of a Lost Grooves plan would just be enough 

54 minutes ago, andybleaden said:

IIn all seriousness the prospect of another nicely compiled box of new bits and pieces along the lines of a Lost Grooves plan would just be enough 

Is there really such a box that can be compiled? I have doubts there is enough of useable quality to release.

Perhaps a chronological stretch of a concept, but I’d enjoy a late-period Andrew Hill on Blue Note Mosaic that gathered But Not FarewellEternal Spirit, Timelines, and the six tracks of Greg Osby’s Invisible Hand on which Hill appears. It would be a small box set, barring the unlikely scenario of Blue Note sitting on a trove of unreleased Hill from that era. 

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Perhaps a chronological stretch of a concept, but I’d enjoy a late-period Andrew Hill on Blue Note Mosaic that gathered But Not FarewellEternal Spirit, Timelines, and the six tracks of Greg Osby’s Invisible Hand on which Hill appears. It would be a small box set, barring the unlikely scenario of Blue Note sitting on a trove of unreleased Hill from that era. 

That's hard to see as a Mosaic given their reliance lately on the tried and true sellers.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

That's hard to see as a Mosaic given their reliance lately on the tried and true sellers.

Oh sure, just spitballing ideas--I imagine their sales outlook for a small late-period Hill box would not be promising.  (And they already emptied the vaults in terms of early/mid-period Hill with the Select, iirc.)  When it comes to Blue Note material, I think we're most likely to see a Lee Morgan set next.

Edited by ghost of miles