Charles McPherson

tranemonk

Just saw him at the Newport Jazz Festival this weekend for the first time. An excellent set especially given he's 84. I didn't expect it. He's still blowing well like Billy Harper. It's my impression he doesn't get a lot of publicity or attention. Why not? His set at Newport got a warranted standing ovation. What am I missing?

37 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Just saw him at the Newport Jazz Festival this weekend for the first time. An excellent set especially given he's 84. I didn't expect it. He's still blowing well like Billy Harper. It's my impression he doesn't get a lot of publicity or attention. Why not? His set at Newport got a warranted standing ovation. What am I missing?

You may have missed this:

19 hours ago, JSngry said:

He lives in San Diego

Yes, I heard that when I was in the States and dudes told me about it. 
Well I was never on the West Coast. 

My main McPherson impressions were with Mingus after Dolphy´s death, on "Mingus at Monterey" and "My Favourite Quintet" and on some of the 70´s albums, I think he was on the "Carnegie 1974" on those to jam tunes, and maybe on "Me Myself and I" or "Something like a Bird". 
I think I had an album where he was the leader, it could have been around 1972 and I think it had the standard "While we were young" on it, very fine 1970´s "third generation bop" . But I fear I never saw him live. 

2 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

I saw McPherson live spread out about 5 or 6 times over a period of roughly 50 years. He was playing great each time. 

This is one of his very best albums( in my view), recorded with a Canadian rhythm section.

41HfFo7zJrL._UX250_FMwebp_QL85_.jpg.webp

I concur! 

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

This is the McPherson Masterpiece, imo. 

I have that record but I think I have not listened to it for decades. Somehow it didn´t really get to me, I considered it more third stream or how you call it. I think it was a bit over-produced. Maybe I was and still am too much into Mingus happening on stage. There were at least two albums that disappointed me or didn´t really reach me. This one, and also on CBS the "Mingus at Carnegie Hall", where I often asked myself "where is THE Charles Mingus?". Also some early 70s albums seem "lame duck" to me like most of the 1970 "America" Sessions, allthough they have some beautiful McPherson on it, but it is a very subdued Mingus, barely audible and even the presence of Byard and Richmond do not help to make things "happen"....

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to the remarkable two live clips that Michael just posted, I humbly suggest that folks check out the chapter about Charles in my book, Jazz from Detroit. Chares is as great as great can be. Proud that that he's also featured in the forthcoming documentary film that I'm coproducing, The Best of the Best: Jazz from Detroit, which is inspired by the book. We have a rough cut done and expect a 2024 premiere.  

10 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

In addition to the remarkable two live clips that Michael just posted, I humbly suggest that folks check out the chapter about Charles in my book, Jazz from Detroit. Chares is as great as great can be. Proud that that he's also featured in the forthcoming documentary film that I'm coproducing, The Best of the Best: Jazz from Detroit, which is inspired by the book. We have a rough cut done and expect a 2024 premiere.  

If a DC showing is scheduled, it would be nice to organize a concert.