Archie Shepp

Chuck Nessa

oh, that´s bad news. 

I´m not sure but I had noticed that he had difficulties to walk as early as in the 80´s . 

I saw him many times from the late 70´s to the early 2000´s . 
The very best and most exiting gig I saw was with a stellar quartet with Siegfried Kessler, Bob Cunningham and Clifford Jarvis. 
Also very good was a concert with Ken Werner, Santi Debriano and John Betsch....
The last time I saw him, he played a lot of piano also. He did a version of "Ask me Now" that sounded so near to the original that if you closed your eyes you might believe it´s Monk himself who plays. 

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

oh, that´s bad news. 

I´m not sure but I had noticed that he had difficulties to walk as early as in the 80´s . 

I saw him many times from the late 70´s to the early 2000´s . 
The very best and most exiting gig I saw was with a stellar quartet with Siegfried Kessler, Bob Cunningham and Clifford Jarvis. 
Also very good was a concert with Ken Werner, Santi Debriano and John Betsch....
The last time I saw him, he played a lot of piano also. He did a version of "Ask me Now" that sounded so near to the original that if you closed your eyes you might believe it´s Monk himself who plays. 

Saw him with Beaver Harris, Dave Burrell, Cameron Brown, and Charles Majid Greenlea at the Empty Foxhole Cafe in mid-70's.  Unforgettable, especially "African Drum Suite".  Harris was a monster live.

1 hour ago, felser said:

Saw him with Beaver Harris, Dave Burrell, Cameron Brown, and Charles Majid Greenlea at the Empty Foxhole Cafe in mid-70's.  Unforgettable, especially "African Drum Suite".  Harris was a monster live.

That's the Montreux group right? On Freedom records? Those are among my favorite Shepp records. I was so fortunate to see him at the Bimhuis in 2010. Though not really comparable to his 60's and 70's work it was an unforgettable experience.

4 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Bad news. Have many of his albums.

I saw him at Lennie's On The Turnpike outside of Boston in the 60s. As I recall the group was Shepp, Roswell Rudd, Howard Johnson, Charlie Haden & Beaver Harris. No guarantees. That was a long time ago.

Edited by jlhoots

2 hours ago, Pim said:

That's the Montreux group right? On Freedom records? Those are among my favorite Shepp records. I was so fortunate to see him at the Bimhuis in 2010. Though not really comparable to his 60's and 70's work it was an unforgettable experience.

Yes, that group!

10 hours ago, felser said:

I saw him with Beaver Harris shortly after the release of Momma Too Tight and remember thinking that this drummer could make a 50 piece brass band swing. 

God dammit. Thanks for letting us know.

FWIW I had a great time talking to him on the phone many years ago for an interview... I was anxious, expecting him to be a tough person to interact with (probably had heard some vintage reports), but he was so sweet and professorial. It felt like "office hours" in college. It was a neat experience and I appreciated that he took the time to answer my questions and explore ideas.