Pianists Playing Organ

Stevie Mclean

I was listening to Soul Groove by Johnny Griffin and Matthew Gee and found it quite fascinating to listen to Big John and Hank Jones playing organ on the same record. Of course Patton lays down the grease as always, but it is very interesting to hear Hanks soft touch translated to organ in comparison. I really enjoy his melodic playing and I find it to be a nice change of pace from the likes of Big John and the other soul organ grinders.

There seems to be an old thread on organ players playing piano, but I can seem to find any reference to piano players playing organ. Id love to hear of other examples pianists dippin' their toes in the grease bucket and what y'all think about their playing.

Hank Jones also played harpsichord on his Impulse! LP "Happenings". I am not a fan of it and from the face Hank made when I handed him the LP to sign, he didn't either, asking me, "Did you really like this"? I replied, "I thought the black part of the cover would look good with you autograph on it". He smiled and signed.

Andrew Hill, for a split second on the trio session from the BN Select -- it was just a minute or two (at most) in the middle of just one tune (and maybe an alternate?) -- far as I'm remembering.  It's definitely a 'don't blink or you'll miss it' situation.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Tonight on the gig, I learned from both the trombone player and bass player that a keyboard player that we used to work with, Roy Gerson, died a little over a week ago. I was gonna put it under an RIP thread, because he got kind of well known in NYC as a swing pianist, but it works just as well here. When I worked with him back in the 80s, he was playing his Crumar organ in a group that had no bass player; he played left hand bass with an astounding independence that made it sound like we had a funk bass player playing in the band.

He was only 64 when he died of a heart attack, which would seem to be the way that someone as hyper as he was would pass. At the end off a typical four hour gig, he would be so exhausted from all the wild bass lines and wild changes he'd play, he would just sit there at the organ, staring at the keyboard for a good fifteen minutes, while the rest of the band would be packed up and ready to leave! I drove him somewhere once, and passed a car that was double-parked on a narrow two-way street, and he was so freaked out that he yelled out, "I CAN"T DIE NOW- I'M GOING TO BE A FAMOUS PIANO PLAYER!!!!"  To say he was kinda high-strung would be understating the case a great deal... RIP to a pianist who used to play the organ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...