BFT 239 Reveal

Dan Gould

Thanks to the contributors for part 1 of the 20th Anniversary BFT Celebration and the participants.

Dan Gould Track:

https://www.discogs.com/master/1784843-The-Leslie-Drayton-Orchestra-Our-Music-Is-Your-Music

Leslie Drayton has an interesting history considering he was a founding member of Earth Wind & Fire and music director for Marvin Gaye, too. I admit I purchased this LP purely because of the alto soloist on my chosen track, Curtis Peagler.  It was track A3, "A Greasy Brown Paper Bag".

@JSngry ID'd it as something played when he was much younger and came close to the title, yet the album says that Leslie Drayton wrote and arranged all tracks, so go figure. Some other heavy hitters in the band and there are several other LPs recorded by the group.

I of course invite all other contributors to post here their reveals of their track details.

Mjazzg track

Track 3 'The Journey' from Tom Skinner's album 'Voices Of Bishara'

https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/album/voices-of-bishara

Skinner's been an ever present in the new-ish London scene that's been making waves for about 10 years now. On this, short but sweet, album he calls on some of the more high profile names from the scene to create what I think is one of the better realised albums to emerge from the scene.

The album is inspired by Abdul Wadud's album 'By Myself', an album generally well regarded here.

I was pleased it received generally positive responses. I chose it to bring some exposure to some UK players.

Nicely ID'd by @Dub Modalwhich didn't surprise me as he's one of the few contributors to the board who has posted positively about the London players

5 hours ago, Eric said:

Eric Track:

Not sure how I originally stumbled on to this, maybe because it is on Delmark.  I have always loved this lp, it has juice.

He is a Chicago guy and still on the scene, I believe.

https://www.discogs.com/release/4012886-The-Rich-Corpolongo-Quartet-Plus-Two-Just-Found-Joy

Never heard of him but very pleased to make the acquaintance. I'll look to track it down. Thanks for the introduction.

Edit to add:now purchased, very pleasantly surprised to find a cheap UK copy for sale

Edited by mjazzg

Dub Modal track: 

MDgtNTY4MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Track 4: The Count On Rush Street with Conte Candoli (tp), Art Pepper (as), Bob Cooper (ts), Shelley Manne (d), Bill Russo (tb, composer), Gene Esposito (p), Don Bagley (b); recorded 11/12/51

This is from the Savoy compilation CD Deep People that includes the original album ID'd by @JSngry in the thread. As noted, sound quality on this recording isn't great but I really like the playing and the composition. It was Pepper's solo that first caught my ear after a few times listening and made me sit up and really pay attention. Anyway, glad I included it b/c as mentioned in the main thread, the "Count" in this case is Conte which I didn't know, thinking it was a reference to Count Basie. This one got good remarks from most everyone and I'm glad you all enjoyed it. Thanks @Dan Gould for putting this very cool anniversary BFT idea together. Honored to create a this compilation with all contributors. 

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Mjazzg track

Track 3 'The Journey' from Tom Skinner's album 'Voices Of Bishara'

https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/album/voices-of-bishara

Skinner's been an ever present in the new-ish London scene that's been making waves for about 10 years now. On this, short but sweet, album he calls on some of the more high profile names from the scene to create what I think is one of the better realised albums to emerge from the scene.

The album is inspired by Abdul Wadud's album 'By Myself', an album generally well regarded here.

I was pleased it received generally positive responses. I chose it to bring some exposure to some UK players.

Nicely ID'd by @Dub Modalwhich didn't surprise me as he's one of the few contributors to the board who has posted positively about the London players

Never heard of him but very pleased to make the acquaintance. I'll look to track it down. Thanks for the introduction.

Edit to add:now purchased, very pleasantly surprised to find a cheap UK copy for sale

BFTs are always a good way to experience some new music. Glad you put this track in here. Definitely love some UK jazz. Seems like really fertile ground in that scene these days and for the past few years really. This one's on my radar now. 

11 hours ago, Eric said:

Eric Track:

Not sure how I originally stumbled on to this, maybe because it is on Delmark.  I have always loved this lp, it has juice.

He is a Chicago guy and still on the scene, I believe.

https://www.discogs.com/release/4012886-The-Rich-Corpolongo-Quartet-Plus-Two-Just-Found-Joy

I would never have picked your track as being recorded in the 90s. Wow. I missed which track you selected though...which one was it? 

Edited by Dub Modal

57 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Dub Modal track: 

MDgtNTY4MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Track 4: The Count On Rush Street with Conte Candoli (tp), Art Pepper (as), Bob Cooper (ts), Shelley Manne (d), Bill Russo (tb, composer), Gene Esposito (p), Don Bagley (b); recorded 11/12/51

This is from the Savoy compilation CD Deep People that includes the original album ID'd by @JSngry in the thread. As noted, sound quality on this recording isn't great but I really like the playing and the composition. It was Pepper's solo that first caught my ear after a few times listening and made me sit up and really pay attention. Anyway, glad I included it b/c as mentioned in the main thread, the "Count" in this case is Conte which I didn't know, thinking it was a reference to Count Basie. This one got good remarks from most everyone and I'm glad you all enjoyed it. Thanks @Dan Gould for putting this very cool anniversary BFT idea together. Honored to create a this compilation with all contributors.

I'm checking this out as I rated the featured tune and I'm always up for another entry point into West Coast. I see Manne's credited with vocals, is that on many tracks?

41 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm checking this out as I rated the featured tune and I'm always up for another entry point into West Coast. I see Manne's credited with vocals, is that on many tracks?

Not many, and dare I say that the vocal tracks work - this coming from someone who doesn’t always enjoy jazz vocals. 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

I would never have picked your track as being recorded in the 90s. Wow. I missed which track you selected though...which one was it? 

Track 6, "Try To, If You Can" (this is from the Rich Corpolongo CD, "Just Found Joy" on Delmark)

webbcity track is "El Toro," track #6 from Frank Gordon's Clarion Echoes:

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/8647/clarion-echoes

@tkeith - note the tenor player! :)

This is an LP I picked up just in the last 6 months or so... based on seeing said tenor player amongst the personnel. A good record!

oh, and @felser ID'd this one... by cheating! ;) 

Edited by webbcity

Since I was having technical difficulties, Felser kindly offered to help me get a track posted.  So, I sent them a list to pick from:

Fish Scale (youtube.com) David Grisman Quintet, Fish Scale

All The Way (youtube.com) King Curtis, All the Way

The Wind Cries Mary (youtube.com) Geri Allen & the Batson Brothers, The Wind Cries Mary from 3 Pianos For Jimi

I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good) (youtube.com) Red Garland, I Got It Bad from Red Alone

J. Zorn, B. Frisell, G. Lewis - 11. Ole (More News For Lulu, 1992) (youtube.com) 

and they picked the Geri Allen track as one they could do.  It happened to be the most recent one (1998).  The three pianos don't necessarily all play at once all the time.  This is not necessarily my favorite track, but the others I liked were longer.  I'm glad people liked it.  I've been aware of Ms. Allen's work since near the start of her career, although I didn't always follow it as closely as I might have.  Her early demise was a great loss.  I don't know much else about the Batson Brothers besides their work here.

11 hours ago, mjazzg said:

👍   I have his other two on Delmark, but like this one the best.

A mere formality, since everyone knew it instantly!

RandyHersom:

Roy Haynes Quartet - Moon River

from Out of the Afternoon, Impulse

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - reeds

Henry Grimes - Bass

Tommy Flanagan - Piano

Roy - Drums

Edited by randyhersom

21 hours ago, webbcity said:

webbcity track is "El Toro," track #6 from Frank Gordon's Clarion Echoes:

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/8647/clarion-echoes

@tkeith - note the tenor player! :)

This is an LP I picked up just in the last 6 months or so... based on seeing said tenor player amongst the personnel. A good record!

oh, and @felser ID'd this one... by cheating! ;) 

Wowsers.  I hear it in the sound, now, but odd that he struck me as the low point on the cut.  Need another listen.

The Big Al track is the title track to the Three Sounds Beautiful Friendship LP. I knew @Dan Gould would quickly identify it but I'm still tickled he didn't immediately ID it. Mission accomplished. :g

To re-iterate my reasons for selecting this track: 

Awhile back I was trying to build a discogs cart to the seller's minimum order and this was listed for very cheap. I like the 3 Sounds and I like how much fun those Limelight record covers are. Ended up enjoying the record more than I expected simply because I wasn't expecting a big-band record. A very enjoyable record.

When Dan announced this BFT, selecting something from this album was a no-brainer as a simple tribute to the former Gene Harris Fanatic. I kinda figured he had this record, but this felt obscure enough to fool everyone else. Which, apparently, it did. As @tkeith said, "Big Al FTW!" :D

Edited by Big Al

Sidewinder track:

"Good News" by the Stan Sulzmann Quartet

From: "On Loan With Gratitude" by Stan Sulzmann (CD1, Track 4)

Details:- Stan Sulzmann - On Loan With Gratitude

a2217599534_10.jpg

Stan Sulzmann - Saxes and Flutes

John Taylor - Keyboards

Ron Mathewson - Bass/Bass Guitar

Tony Levin - Drums and Percussion

'On Loan With Gratitude' was a very low-profile UK vinyl release from 1977 put out on Graham Collier's Mosaic label (the UK one, not the Stanford Connecticut one), which I can't say I ever remember seeing in the shops. I suspect that most sales of it will have been done at Sulzmann's gigs of the time. What I do remember though is the title track being used for one of Charles Fox's BBC Radio 3 jazz shows, 'Jazz Today' I think - around the time of release, perhaps a year or two later. My understanding is that the LP tracks in the release were recorded at the BBC Transcription Studios at Shepherds Bush, so pretty well recorded. The track "Good News" is listed as one of the bonus tracks for the recent CD issue and was not included on the Mosaic LP but was presumably recorded by the group for a BBC broadcast around 1974/75 (possibly "Jazz Today"). I would guess that this recording of "Good News" therefore originates as a stereo FM over-the-air amateur recording (broadcast quality for these BBC shows was usually extremely good).

Stan, of course, remains very active on the UK scene to this day and has long been recognised as one of the leading UK jazz sax/flautists and jazz educators. The group he put together for this release was a stellar grouping of close associates, all 3 of whom are sadly no longer with us. Of particular note - Taylor and Sulzmann had previously recorded together to very good effect on 'Pause And Think Again' , a really excellent modal session which was put out under Taylor's name some years previously by Peter Eden's Turtle Records. Sulzmann was also previously a member of an earlier edition of Graham Collier Music, hence the Collier/Mosaic connection.

Reasons for inclusion - quality of the track, its relative obscurity and Sulzmann being a really excellent and somewhat unheralded player meriting wider acclaim.

Edited by sidewinder