Art Blakey Caravan

hbbfam

10 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

If you like the edition you have, why not spend your money on something new?

I thought the goal was a never-ending quest to find a better version of everything 😎

3 hours ago, hbbfam said:

I thought the goal was a never-ending quest to find a better version of everything 😎

Well, that's Craft's goal for us, if not ours for ourselves.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

How come Kyoto has always been so hidden compared to the other two Riversides? This befuddles me. 

Looking at the release calendar, Caravan came out in 1962, Ugetsu in 1963, but this one not until 1966.  Maybe due to the demise of Riverside, maybe lost in the shuffle, lack of critical exposure, etc.?  For me, both Kyoto and Ugetsu rank about Caravan.

Edited by Eric

It's part of the sextet magic run that also included Free For All + Indestructible. Straight line through imo.

I get the timeline thing, but at this late date it sorta amazes me how it still seems slept on. It was waaaay late to make it to OJC as an LP. 

32 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It's part of the sextet magic run that also included Free For All + Indestructible. Straight line through imo.

+ Mosaic , Three Blind Mice, Buhaina's Delight on BM before the Riverside's.  His greatest group (and the trumpet change for Indestructible was fine, that's a killer album.  Not gonna go wrong with Lee Morgan, though Freddie Hubbard was killer in that group).

57 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Those 1964 dates were a cut above, though. Imo. It was like a  Messenger supernova, a torrent of energy amped up and unleashed one last time. 

Understood.  'Indestructible' just explodes into my head when I listen to it.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Those 1964 dates were a cut above, though. Imo. It was like a  Messenger supernova, a torrent of energy amped up and unleashed one last time. 

I saw that group in '64.  Remember being really impressed by Workman. 

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Indestructible was my very first Blue Note and one of my first 25 or so jazz records period. Pulled it out of a cutout bin. Still haven't quite recovered from the opening Wayne solo. 

I believe this was my first Blue Note (in high school) an it set the bar for me.

616M2XFPEKL.jpg